Today, I just heard of tremolo picking for the first time. I have done a bit of searching on the internet and have discovered its playing a note, a lot of times in a row, really fast.

After watching a few youtube videos and reading a bit on the internet (I searched the ultimate guitar lessons for it and didn't find anything) I have a few questions about tremolo picking.

1. Does tremolo picking need a metronome to practice?

2. When tremolo picking, is it possible to play a note once, then play another note on the same string lots of times, and then play the first note once and continue in this pattern?

3. I have found that some people move their right arm when tremolo picking, and others move their wrist. Are both techniques good, or is one bad technique.

4. Is it possible to palm mute while tremolo picking?

EDIT Thanks for the help! If anyone else has anything else to post about tremolo picking that they think will help me, please post.

To Strat212
Thanks for telling me about alternate picking, but I already know about alternate picking and I can already alternate pick. I have been playing for almost 2 years (and been on UG for about 1 and a half years). I find it surprising that I didn't find out about tremolo picking until today. I have heard people playing using tremolo picking, but I assumed it was just someone playing a note really fast and didn't realize it was a technique. I am happy to now know about tremolo picking, and I will be practicing it.
Last edited by kilbie at Jul 17, 2008,
Another technique you should be aware of is Alternate Picking. It uses the same up down up down motion of tremolo picking, but it can be used across the strings, and makes for extremely efficient motion of your right hand. Good luck!
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by kilbie
Can someone explain why I shouldn't use a metronome?

You can use a metronome if you want, but generally if you're just rapidly picking a note without any increase or reduction in speed, you don't need to go with a set rhythm (other than counting the measures you play to make sure you stop when you need to)
You can use a metronome, but if you're practicing a piece from a song that requires trem picking and you already know how it sounds it'd probably be better to work from that.
The majority of the tremolo picking motion comes from your wrist.
Try not to move your arm much at all.
I'm glad this topic was posted.. is it ok if my hand touches the guitar body or some of the unused strings when I'm tremolo picking? For some reason I go faster than when my hand's just free floating..
^ Thats fine vixus. I always anchor my pinky finger to the body and it helps me pick alot faster than floating my fist.

Some people may call it bad practice, but if it works for you, the just keep doing it.
Been away, am back
Good point Logz; do what's comfortable for you, not what's conforming for everyone else. We'd all be playing the same way if great guitarists weren't creative in their playing styles.
Minimal motion is integral when tremolo picking! If you want to hear some great examples of tremolo picking listen to anything by Amon Amarth.
I was looking up some tremolo videos on YouTube (when it comes to guitar I'm more of a visual learner it seems), and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ThUa1Aeh34 It's probably one of the better ones I've seen, personally. May not be helpful for anyone else, but sharing it anyways.
yep, whatever works, but people will tell you (instructors especially) that moving your arm is 1. less accurate, and 2. slower in the long run (because you're not going to be running up scales with no anchor point unless you're sweep picking, and you're not going to sweep if you can't trem)
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!