Hi everyone

I'm a beginner learning to play the acoustic and electric guitar, mainly acoustic though. I am using the Jamorama course (www.jamorama.com). I have trouble playing the A Major chord (http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-chords/a-major-guitar-chord.html) on the acoustic but it sounds better on the electric.

My problem is that the 3rd string buzzes when I place my first finger on it, no matter how hard I press it. Any ideas?

I have a simple acoustic guitar..not from a reputed or known company but some random company from China or Korea..not sure. Its called a "Jimm Acoustic Guitar".

Also, I have some trouble playing the D Major chord too, especially placing the 3rd finger properly on the 2nd string. Plus, switching chords isn't happening properly enough, even though I've been trying for a month or more.

Thanks in advance.
Jimm K1BS Acoustic
Ibanez 2008 RGR421EXFM
Marshall MG10CD 10W Combo Amp
Paxma 100W Amplifier
Homebrew 120W Amplifier
For your 3rd string buzzing, that may be fret buzz which means you'd have the have it properly set up to get rid of it.

And practice practice and did I mention.... practice. Keep on playing until it hurts then play some more. It'll come naturally eventually.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
it will come with time if it is your fingers..

as for the buzzing sound no matter how hard you push down, that shows that your neck is warped.. the guitar is at fault not you.. Go to guitarcenter and pick up a low end acoustic for less than 100 bucks..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Thanks everyone.

PS--If I press too hard on the 3rd string, fingers begin to hurt, but the sound improves. But that means its so hard I can only play A Major :-P.
Jimm K1BS Acoustic
Ibanez 2008 RGR421EXFM
Paxma 100W Amplifier
Homebrew 120W Amplifier
hey man, I know exactly how you feel! we all start out with the exact same problems.

as evil as it is to say, just keep practice man. perhaps the fret buzzing is coming from the placement of the finger, and not the pressure. Try to place your fingers as close and comfortable as you can to the fret wire. usually for and open chord of A major, I use my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers to fret (middle, ring, and pinky fingers respectively)

if you're having trouble with D major, try only fretting 2 out of 3 strings, and practice that just by either lifting your fingers off the fretboard and then placing them back on. alternatively, you could try going from an A major to a D major, just do a simple change between chords. it doesn't need to be super fast, just a nice steady pace.

another exercise to try is to do the same, but arpeggiate the chord (pluck each string) to ensure each string is fretted properly to make sure each string rings out clearly and you don't accidentally mute any strings to get dead sounds out of them.

I hope that helps you out.
sorry to not be helping, but is this:

"Jimm K1BS Acoustic
Ibanez 2008 RGR421EXFM
Paxma 100W Amplifier
Homebrew 120W Amplifier "

your gear? If it is, holy crap. I wish i could have started playing with all that. =]
also, in response to everyone claiming that he should practice until it hurts... that's the most unproductive way to do anything. should people sing until their vocal chords hurt? should a sprinter keep running until they pull a muscle? NEVER!

you should always approach things with a mentality that if you can't achieve it straight away, the next session you will be able if you take a steady approach. if you force things, your brain will comprehend that you will never achieve anything unless you are in pain, which is NOT TRUE!
Quote by guerito
sorry to not be helping, but is this:

I got an electric recently, as I wanted to learn it too...premature I know, but I just love the sounds. As for the amplifiers, they are locally made audio amplifiers...I'm an engineering major and love to work on amplifiers and circuits. They're less than $100 each...unbelievable isn't it [PS--simple audio amplifiers with bass and treble controls are cheaper than guitar amplifiers from "highbrow" companies anyway...especially in India where audio amplifiers are used with computers, audio systems, etc.]
Last edited by darkmav at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by Hadeed
hey man, I know exactly how you feel! we all start out with the exact same problems.

Thanks for the inspiring words Hadeed. I'll do the exercises you mentioned. But I think there's something wrong with my acoustic too, because the fret buzz doesn't go on some frets.

To the OP: Thanks for your help too. As I said I am a newbie and am learning by myself, so you might find my posts or questions silly/trivial. But hopefully I'll pick up the basics soon
Last edited by darkmav at Jul 17, 2008,