hmmm, i just finished playing for about an hour & 1/2...i must say, im not as impressed as i thought i would be ..idk what i expected, i mean..the EMGs, the great reviews, the same guitar some of my fav. bands use...

could it be my amp?

my high gain channel sounds all congested and muddy; like crap..i can barely distinguish notes when playing a lot of different notes fast

i mean basically...my epi lp custom sounded almost the same as the Hellraiser, and keeping the LP wouldve saved me money instead of selling it to have gotten this

alhtough i DO plan to get a 5150 combo this weekend....

do you think i can make this guitar sound worthy of its capability through that?

and i cant seem to get those hardcore squels out of it...i get the same squels i got from my Epiphone..i thought you could squel the crap outta EMGs?!

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Last edited by jcp42877 at Jul 17, 2008,
may need the pickups raised or lowered. sounds like maybe lowered.

jym
What amp do you have?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
1. You can do pinch harmonics incredibly effectively with EMGs.
2. The 5150 will make a tremendous difference. If you're still having a problem after you get it, post back here.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Quote by FloyDZeD
What amp do you have?

Flextone II 2x12

and before some people say, "im suprised, the Flexy is actually quite good"
i realize this, but something about the tone just sounds cheap

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Just because you have the EMGs doesnt mean you can automatically "squeal" them.

Its how effective your pinch harmonics are and the vibrato that follows. You can "squeal" stock Ibanez pickups with the know-how.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
Quote by IWank7Sevens
Just because you have the EMGs doesnt mean you can automatically "squeal" them.

Its how effective your pinch harmonics are and the vibrato that follows. You can "squeal" stock Ibanez pickups with the know-how.

+1, quoted for truth.

It really depends on your technique. And also, the way you EQ your amp plays a part in getting those crazy squeals. Heck, as IWank7Sevens said, i get crazy squeals with my stock Ibanez pickups.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
EMGs make most amps sound worse than they would with passive pickups (in my experience anyway, they make lesser amps sound muddy and undefined, exactly as you would expect very high output pickups to do) it's only when you pair them with a very high gain amp (exactly like a 5150) that they start to shine IMO, wait until you get the 5150 and dial it in and then see if you're still not too impressed.

If I may judge you based on your gear, if you have a Hellraiser and are getting a 5150 I'm guessing you're into metal and if you are I'll bet that you'll be very pleased with that combo.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Hey, let me give you a couple words of advice on the C-1 Hellraiser.

My friend has had one for about two years. he was pleased with it for about 11 months, when it started giving him all sorts of problems. Mainly though, the biggest problem he had was with his truss rod, which inconsistently shifts all over the place, oftentimes screwing up the action.

Honestly, I've never been a fan. The fretboards alway's felt weird to me, and the bridge pickup was way to scratchy and hyper sensitive (like a d-sonic), in that guitar, at least.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Last edited by manmanster at Jul 17, 2008,
so, to answer your question, get a different guitar. An esp maybe! :-D
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by Remonster
EMGs make most amps sound worse than they would with passive pickups (in my experience anyway, they make lesser amps sound muddy and undefined, exactly as you would expect very high output pickups to do) it's only when you pair them with a very high gain amp (exactly like a 5150) that they start to shine IMO, wait until you get the 5150 and dial it in and then see if you're still not too impressed.

If I may judge you based on your gear, if you have a Hellraiser and are getting a 5150 I'm guessing you're into metal and if you are I'll bet that you'll be very pleased with that combo.

not straight up metal...but more metalcore, hardcore, hard southern rock, punk rock

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
ha, welcome to emg's
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Like people would say, the Flextone is actually a decent amp. The thing about it is, it's still a modeller. It emulates other amps using solid state technology. Not saying that's a bad thing, as it does what it does quite well. However, because the amp changes your tone to replicate different amps and such, a lot of guitars end up sounding the same through it. You lose the individualistic tone of the guitar. Most (not saying all, but definitely most) humbuckers will sound pretty much like other humbuckers through that amp and the differences tend to be lost or, at the very least, subdued due to the amps modelling.

A tube amp (like the 5150 you intend on getting) will definitely allow the differences to shine, and you'll get back the little nuances that make different guitars sound, well different.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Try switching out the battery for a fresh one if you havn't, that might give you a bit of extra clarity of the old one is fading.

When you get your new amp, don't forget gain down and volume up to stop the annoying fizz!
Quote by Hakael
Like people would say, the Flextone is actually a decent amp. The thing about it is, it's still a modeller. It emulates other amps using solid state technology. Not saying that's a bad thing, as it does what it does quite well. However, because the amp changes your tone to replicate different amps and such, a lot of guitars end up sounding the same through it. You lose the individualistic tone of the guitar. Most (not saying all, but definitely most) humbuckers will sound pretty much like other humbuckers through that amp and the differences tend to be lost or, at the very least, subdued due to the amps modelling.

A tube amp (like the 5150 you intend on getting) will definitely allow the differences to shine, and you'll get back the little nuances that make different guitars sound, well different.

you sir are brilliant!! this is an excellent explanation & makes perfect sense, thanks!!

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
+1 to what Hakael said.

From my own experience, anything that is not a high gain (and high quality!) tube amp sounds bad with active pickups - Be it Vox, Line 6 or whatever. I can't explain why, but it always sounds like a harsh high frequency hiss with a lot of muddy rumbling in the low frequencies. Usually, tube amps handle EMGs and similar pickups better, so you should be happy once you get the new amp.
I dunno. I have active pickups (although not EMGs) in a couple of guitars and
they sound absolutely great thru my battery powered micro cube.

I think this is more expectations exceeding reality and to a certain extent trying to
get a type of sound out of equipment not capable of producing it and maybe to
some extent playing. It's really the last thing you get the best sound out of.
The squeals/pinch harmonics problem could be from the scale differences between the 2 guitars. The Hellraiser is 25.5 and the the Epi is 24.75. Your probably used to where the "pinch harmonic sweet spot" on your Epiphone but you haven't figured out where that spot is on the Schecter because of the longer scale length.

Also try turning the gain down on your amp, the EMG's are a lot higher output than the stock Epiphone pickups and you're probably using to much gain.
Quote by manmanster
so, to answer your question, get a different guitar. An esp maybe! :-D

no im even more dissapointed in the esp i got on the same day, i had the adjust the truss rod like a bizitch to get decent action without TONS of fret buzz, but besides that its pretty decent, doesnt feel like sturdy though, i like my jackson a lot better..
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30