Poll: what amp should i get?
Poll Options
View poll results: what amp should i get?
JCM 900 (or 800)
9 25%
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (or single)
27 75%
Voters: 36.
ok im thinking of getting a new amp for my graduation present this year but i dont know what to get, either a JCM900 or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. i play a lot of pop-punk like Green Day and Blink-182 but then again i also like to play heavier stuff like Avenged Sevenfold or Atreyu (not their new stuff). can anyone point out differences between the amps? it would really help me, thanks :]
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
i find Marshall's heads to be very trebley. But that's my opinion. Get a Marshall cab and a Mesa head? dont get a combo
I may be biased because I'm not a huge fan of Rectifiers, so I won't even touch on those.

The main difference between the 800 and 900 models is that the 800 is more vintage and the 900 has a more modern tone(also, more gain). Also, there are several different models of each. I'd get the 900 if I were in your position.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I love the JCM900, it's a great amp. However, the Dual Recto is superior in almost all aspects imo. I think Blink-182 used Dual Rectos if I'm not mistaken?

I'm actually not even a fan of the Dual Recto, but for what you play I think it'd be better for you. I'd consider something like a Mark IV though if I were you. Much better sounding amps, by far, and can be found in the same price range used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I personally like marshalls alot more but the mesa is gonna suit you better
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Marshall would be good for the Green Day type music and Mesa was damn near made for heavier stuff... So it's hard to choose between the two.

I have a Marshall Mode 4 half-stack and I've found that it's a pretty versatile amp. It has a crunch channel to get that classic Marshall gain and an OD2 channel that provides a heavier distortion for that newer rock sound. I'm in love with it...

Here's a link to check it out: http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MF350

Hope that helps a bit.
i voted mesa..only because every marshall i ever owned, (jcm900,DSL 2000)
never had enough gain when i wanted it. My trip. rectifier has plenty of gain,and can kick back and groove old school sh*t as well.
So to me,the mesa's more versitile..Hope this helps.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I love the JCM900, it's a great amp. However, the Dual Recto is superior in almost all aspects imo. I think Blink-182 used Dual Rectos if I'm not mistaken?

I'm actually not even a fan of the Dual Recto, but for what you play I think it'd be better for you. I'd consider something like a Mark IV though if I were you. Much better sounding amps, by far, and can be found in the same price range used.

+1 all around

Up to you if you want to take your amp budget and seek out a higher end Mesa on the used market. The Mesa's a better amp and better for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Whatever happened to getting a job and buying the amp yourself. Your rents must love you. All I got was a "congrats, now get a real job." HA. Seriously, I would go Marshall. It will cover more styles from Classic rock, to pop rock, to punk rock, to 90s rock, to 80s, to alternative, to modern and to hard. I know a place selling them for cheap, pm me. Save some funds to get more gear.