I recently got an Epi VJ and, though I like it very much, I'm not completely satisfied with the gain. I want to try to get into Hard Rock/Metal(nothing too brutal) territory.

I've been looking at The Ibanez TS-9 and the Maxon OD-9. What exactly are the differences between the two? Also, I'm definitely up for suggestions. Trying to keep it under or close to $150 or so.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
you bought the wrong amp for metal.
trying to push too much gain out of too little gain stages usually ends up sounding pretty fizzy and bad.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
you bought the wrong amp for metal.
trying to push too much gain out of too little gain stages usually ends up sounding pretty fizzy and bad.

That's the thing. I don't JUST play Metal.

I had $300 and I needed an amp with good cleans and some OD potential. This is what I ended up with.

^Aren't the 808 models more of a vintage-type sound?
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
That's the thing. I don't JUST play Metal.

I had $300 and I needed an amp with good cleans and some OD potential. This is what I ended up with.

^Aren't the 808 models more of a vintage-type sound?

i saw a guy on youtube use some type of preamp with his epi valve jr, or maybe it was a blackheart, (pretty much the same amp) and he got some pretty cool slightly higher gain tones. ill go see if i can find it and give you the link.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
damn, i thought those were single coils in the bridge. i was like
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
well he was using that preamp in the same way that you would use an OD pedal. just a slight boost in gain to hit the front end of the amp a little harder. a ts808 would be pretty good for you. but really any type of od would do fine, even that $50 bad monkey or screamin monkey or green monkey, whatever its called.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I guess I'll just try some stuff, sometime. I'm, still waiting for my GC to get more VJs in, so I can test the pedals out on one.

Thanks for the help.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.