I'm not sure if this is in the right spot but oh well.

I've had this P.O.S. first act guitar(finally found out after like 3 years of not knowing) for 5 years and I've decided to start doing some stuff to it. I was going to smash it(never smashed a guitar before, it could be fun) but since I like the tone and it's really light, I figured it'd be a better idea to fix it up and actually have a great guitar as opposed to just another crap one.

I'm looking for a single bridge pick up that would be good for punk and a splash of metal. A new vintage strat style trem. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or opinions on parts or other things to consider changing?

A few questions
Does anyone know if a left handed Strat style trem can be put in the same rout as a right handed one without any additional routing?
How much of a difference the nut material make?
since most trems are not rectangular but instead smaller to one side you may have to fill in the old hole and route out a little bit on one side. not a huge deal with some wood glue and a small chunk of wood in the right place.
it may be more expensive to fix it up rather than buying a new guitar. I'm sure the pickups are too noisy and pickups alone are around $70 depending on what you want.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot but oh well.
it is.

Quote by Bottle of Dirt
I like the tone and it's really light
yet you want to invest money into a pickup to change the tone.

Quote by Bottle of Dirt
Does anyone know if a left handed Strat style trem can be put in the same rout as a right handed one without any additional routing?
it can't.

Quote by Bottle of Dirt
How much of a difference the nut material make?
a ton, in terms tuning stability and in terms of sustain when the string is open.

Quote by Bottle of Dirt
Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or opinions on parts or other things to consider changing?
change everything.

buy a decent but inexpensive guitar like an XL from Rondo Music. it will be far superiour to your First Act, all ways round. and will cost less trying to make improvements to the First Act.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I already have another guitar that I like playing more, it just seemed like a better idea to mod the First Act then to get rid of it.
I want to change the pickup because it's pretty quiet.
Maybe I should just buy a new Righty neck and give it to my niece instead...
parts are expensive for some quality ones.

its always nice having another guitar tho.

have it as a backup for gigs.....(hey something is better than nothing.)

hang it up on your wall........it looks nice

either that or sell it locally and invest in a better guitar.

I'd have to say that $600 will get you very gigable guitar even when you get better you can still use if you pick out the right one.

I have a couple $600 peavey guitars and if i went (pro) which i prolly wont...i would still use as my main guitars as I have yet to find a need for anything better......(just more stacks)

i hope i helped...if you have any quesions on anything, let me know.

We have our own music biz and I do this kinda stuff all the time.