Hi, I'll keep this simple and straight to the point.
I had DR Dimebag signature 10-52's on my LTD Viper
I needed new strings so I bought some Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom 10-52's
Then I read somewhere that even though they are the same gauge, they can change the tension and cause the need for a truss rod adjustment.
Is this true? I'll go and buy some regular slinkies if this is the case, thanks.
sounds like a good reason to learn how to adjust your truss rod to me.

jym
@trojanfan12 - Thanks for your reply but I'm talking about the initial change between strings.

@Jymellis - My guitar regularly loses tension in the neck, for whatever reason (It's being stored correctly) and as a result I get fret buzz after about 6 months of the guitars last service so I would love to learn how to adjust the truss rod except I'm afraid of doing damage however it doesn't sound very complex. The reason I'm changing strings is because of the fret buzz, I'm wondering if it's just the strings because the guitar had a full set up only 5 months ago! (this is the last time the strings were changed, 5 months ago)
when you get it serviced go to a small shop and ask them if you can watch.

ask loads of questions and take notes...
Thank you please.
What? You rarely need to adjust your truss rod when you're making a small change in gauges, what on earth makes you think you'd need to adjust it when you're using the same gauge?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
What? You rarely need to adjust your truss rod when you're making a small change in gauges, what on earth makes you think you'd need to adjust it when you're using the same gauge?

I just thought I read somewhere that skinny top heavy bottom strings are really different to normal strings and even if they are the same gauge they can still really change the tension around, is this true? if it's not I'll put them on this very second.

@deadlydunc - Good idea but
a) At my local music shop you leave it with them and it usually takes a few days before they get around to doing it
b) I don't really want to get it set up if I have to because:
Buying a different set of strings: $17
Getting my guitar set up: $50
While heavier strings can lead to more adjustments every few months, the more troublesome thing is using those with a Floyd and balancing it. If you plan on doing something like that, just block the trem to non floating and save yourself some headaches. the only thing on your ESP which will probably need some adjustment is the nut.
my friend loaded onto his hellraiser and he had 9 gauge before, no problem for him, as for you saying you have problems to begin with, i think you should take the and do some research, google is a start
Quote by CJRocker
While heavier strings can lead to more adjustments every few months, the more troublesome thing is using those with a Floyd and balancing it. If you plan on doing something like that, just block the trem to non floating and save yourself some headaches. the only thing on your ESP which will probably need some adjustment is the nut.

Couldn't agree with you anymore. I use that same exact gauge on an ESP, and I've had a few problems with it on the trem, So I stopped that and used the gauge with fixed bridges.

I use light's now with the Floyd's.
Quote by Jeebus
Yeah, you know; Guitars are like women. They love to be played, but are a pain to maintain.

HURRAH FOR BRIGHT, BIG SIGNATURES!!!!!
Thanks for the replies, Is it cheap to replace the nut?
Also, I don't have a floyd rose, Just a straightforward tune-o-matic.
Quote by noturningback
Thanks for the replies, Is it cheap to replace the nut?
Also, I don't have a floyd rose, Just a straightforward tune-o-matic.

Is it a normal nut or Earvana nut? I don't know if you can modify the latter and ESP used to put them on most of their guitars 400 series and up. With a normal one, you'll need to widen the slots on the thicker strings if the won't fit in the existing ones. You can do this with a lot of things. Once the slot is wide enough, see if it will go all the way down into the slot. If it can, you're done! If not, you'll need to use a file to make it slightly lower. To test the fit, just hold the string over the nut and see if it will go in. If it goes in fine, you're good to go. Having a string that rests on top however, can cause tuning intonation issues.
Thanks for your reply CJRocker, I can't imagine I will need to widen the nut considering these strings that I am replacing the old ones with are not only the same gauge but they are also skinny top heavy bottom ones so I would say that the top of the strings that go through the nut will be a tiny bit thinner than the ones I am replacing so if the ones that are in now fit, I can't see why these ones I want to replace them with wouldn't.
Just a side note, the reason I am paranoid about all this is because I once replaced 10's with 9's and I took all the strings off then put the new ones on, instead of doing it string by string. This completely screwed my guitar up and has since made me very paranoid about changing strings.
as long as there the same guage, they shouldnt change the tension
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Ok, sorry to double post but I kinda need a bump too.
I put the bottom 52 string on, It sound 10 times better than the DR 52 I had on before, the string is a bit looser but nothing huge I don't think.
There IS some fret buzz, mainly on first fret, I presume because the strings are thicker at the bottom. Should I continue to replace the strings or put the old 52 back on? (That didn't have as much fret buzz)?
Ok, well I took the new string off again and put the old one back on. I think theres a little bit more fret buzz on the old one now too.
Please don't tell me to get it serviced, it's only had about 2 months MAX of actual playing since it's last service and also-
From my local music shop (Prices in $AUD (so basically halve it for $US)

Guitar Set Up Services:

* Restring and tune $15 + Strings
* Standard electric guitar and bass set up $49.95 + Strings

I'm not paying 50$ just for a truss adjustment which is a 5 minute job
I am waiting on changing my strings for responses, I've bumped this thread like 5 times now!
dude, we've told you everything we could. reread the posts up there ^^^^^^^ and there you go.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I use 11-50 on my Viper and haven't had a problem in the five years I've owned it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION