kills the world's food supply.*
Just wanted to make that clear to everyone who didn't know.
cause uh
im sick of everyone saying it's the solution to all of our problems and shiz

*corn based ethanol
its not killing the worlds food supply..... it would just take so damn much corn to power every car that it would not be plausible to do so..... i say **** the environment..... lets use the corn for some jack daniels and drink til we see clean and green everywhere

i dont no if jacks based off of corn.... but hell, whiskey is
Bullcr@p!
the corn didn't get in starving countries anyway, so this is not making them starve. And I don't think the world supply consists of corn, there are many more nutritious things out there like.... SNICKERS
Quote by shadowsofbodom

Indeed it is, most American whiskey and all bourbon contains corn.

I don't care if ethanol is going to save the world or not, all I know is it's tasty and gets me drunk. HOORAY ETHANOL!
*COUGH* opportunity cost. Look it up, numinis. Growing corn means that the resources used for it don't go elsewhere. Subsidizing corn ethanol puts money and resources where it's not otherwise favorable.

Nuclear power ftw.
Quote by SlashYourFug
Just so every idiot here knows, ethanol is absolutely pointless. It takes more energy to create than it produces when burned.

/being right
I <3 Companion Cube
Quote by numinis
Bullcr@p!
the corn didn't get in starving countries anyway, so this is not making them starve. And I don't think the world supply consists of corn, there are many more nutritious things out there like.... SNICKERS

While he is joking, he brings up a good point.

Stop and think... How often do you eat corn? Maybe once a week? If we started using alot of corn to produce fuels instead of eating, would it really be killing the worlds food supply? Corn isn't even all that good for you, considering it's a vegetable.

Even if we start using more land to grow corn, there is still plenty of space left to grow food.

Edit:
I'm with the guy who said nuclear power. It's so much better than our other options, people just freak out when they hear the word nuclear.

Realistically though, people will be more willing to use a new type of liquid fuel such as ethanol rather than buying entirely new cars. In case people don't know, only slight modifications must be made to gasoline-powered vehicles to make them run on ethanol.
Last edited by Brain245 at Jul 17, 2008,
Less corn = higher demand = higher prices.
Edit: Time to do some research. Until then, doesn't matter
Last edited by Sunny Afternoon at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by SlashYourFug
Just so every idiot here knows, ethanol is absolutely pointless. It takes more energy to create than it produces when burned.

+1,000,000

the truth that our green-favoring government officials will not tell u
"131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs."
i live out in the middle of nowhere and theres a bunch of farms and livestock and stuff. all the livestock eat feed that is basically corn. theres more to it than just whiskey and beer and whatnot, but i doubt there would be any shortage in food supply
Ethanol=bullshit

Not even cleaner-burning, and there's no possible way ethanol could support more than 10% of the fuel we use annually.
Hi, how are you?
Quote by shadowsofbodom
its not killing the worlds food supply..... it would just take so damn much corn to power every car that it would not be plausible to do so..... i say **** the environment..... lets use the corn for some jack daniels and drink til we see clean and green everywhere

Heck yeah man I'm with you on that!