This evening, I noodled around with the next guitar I plan to buy...once I come up with $800 + tax.

It's the new Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH (link-o-ramma). I played the Olympic White version, and this color scheme is starting to grow on me:

This guitar has just about everything I've ever wanted in a higher-end axe:

• a comfy 24" scale for my small hands, combined with a smallish 9.5" fingerboard radius, and a narrow 41mm width at the nut
  • twin humbuckers (instead of whimpy/surfy single coils) with factory routes
  • modern circuitry with coil splitters instead of phase shifters
  • a modern "Adjust-O-Matic" tune-o-matic style bridge (whoo hoo!)
  • a lockable trem
  • more switches than I know what to do with (including the all-powerful kill switch)
  • and that sexy Salvador Dali-esque melted Stratocater shape

Back in December, I bought my first really nice guitar, a Gibson SG Classic with twin P-90's. I love everything about this guitar except for one important thing: the beefy neck. Try as I have, I've never bonded with my SG's neck. By contrast, the Jaguar neck fits me like a glove.

If I get the Classic Player Jaguar Special HH and upgrade the pickups to some hot Dimarzios (like a Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF DP103 in the neck) I'll have the perfect guitar to do some early Nirvana covers!
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by lefthandman9876
i see you have a jagmaster

it will play and feel dead similar to that, just less crummy

cool

That's exactly what I was thinking. The Jagmaster was my first guitar, and it was a great workhorse (still is). But the Jagmaster (especially the body) feels like a cheap, $250 guitar...which is exactly what it is. And the Jagmaster's Duncan Designed pups are nothing if not forgettable. I immediately retired the Jagmaster's tremolo, too, because as soon as I put some #11 strings on it, the bridge pulled about an inch out of the body (I fixed that with a hefty chunk of hardwood).

The Classic Player Jaguar HH cleverly fixes all of these problems.

I was pleasantly surprised @ the fit-and-finish on the Jaguar HH, too (which is MIM, I think). Fender has made some very sensible upgrades to the Jaguar to make it a thoroughly modern guitar...kinda like buying a 1971 Dodge Challenger but with airbags, a modern AC system, anti-lock brakes, a plush leather interior, a BOSE stereo, and a more fuel-efficient HEMI motor.
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Jul 17, 2008,
holy **** dude
that looks freakin sweet!
very nice choice
and i totally agree with you on the colour scheme, its brilliant
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
(Barry Newman's 1971 Dodge Challenger from "Vanishing Point")

dude i am totally doing the same thing (upgrading from a jagmaster to a jaguar HH)

except im getting the special edition black and chrome one as i am not fond of the classic player's colours

[edit] i also didnt want a tremolo
Zeppelinism, the only way to save your soul

PM TheHeartbreaker to become a follower of the holy order of the Zeppelin
Last edited by K.cobain_RIP at Jul 17, 2008,
The black one is quite a bit different from the Classic Player Special. For one thing, it has an Adjust-O-Matic bridge + stop tail instead of the more traditional Jaguar tremolo. And the fingerboard radius is 7.25" (like the Mustang) versus 9.5" for the Classic Player Special HH.

The black one has Dragster humbuckers versus Enforcer HB's on the Classic (...who cares...I'll be replacing them with Dimarzios anyway). And I think the circuitry is wired up differently.

In any event, just two different blends of a classic malted whiskey if you ask me. You can't go wrong with a Jaguar...or a Dodge Challenger, for that matter!
The jag HH special is a pretty damn awfull horrible guitar, dont bother, the neck is like a baseball bat, the pickups are even weaker than my jags stock pups, the chrome is cheap and flimsy, overall theres is generally just not a nice feel to them, nothing in comparison to the japs or AVs ^^^

I love my jag, i cant comment on the new ones, but they seem good down on paper, the new bridge saves alot of hassle. Have you tried it, have you tried the old jags for comparison, im really interested in seeing how these work out, seeing as its mexican, i doubt itll be as nice as the japs/AVs, still worth considering.

If the necks anything like my jags neck, youll fall in love with it instantly.
Well, keep in mind that I was comparing an $800 MIM Fender Jaguar (with all the modern acoutrements) to my $250 MIC Squier Jagmaster II. As you'd expect, it wasn't even a close race.

When I scrutinized the fret ends on the Jaguar, I did notice a few areas of lacquer overspray, from about the 15th fret on, but it was nothing major. Everything else about the guitar looked pretty good to me.

For me, the most important part of any guitar is the neck (scale length + radius + width @ nut + fret height), and on all counts the Jaguar hits the mark perfectly for me. I prefer my SG Classic's tone to the Jag, but the Jag is so much more playable.

I've played traditional Jaguars before and have always liked the necks, but I'm not a big fan of Surf-A-Zoid single coils, so the stock tone of older Jaguars has always been a turn-off. And even people who LOVE traditional Jags admit that their bridges are a disaster.

I agree that a Kurtified Japanese Jaguar would be the way to go if money were no issue (although apparently no one in Japan exports directly to the U.S. anymore). Here's another variation on the theme of modern Jaguars (this is a Kurtified model from Japan - fficial%26hs%3DMTF">link-o-ramma):

Last night, I dreamed that I added the Olympic White Jag to my small collection. The 3-tone sunburst version is sweet, but the white one in my Original Post is sweeter.

Now I just need to pick a case and then break out the VISA for a 1K purchase, and I'll be set!