Hi

This is long winded but ill try to keep it as concise as possible. The Bold Highlighted part is the main question.

Last September, I formed aband with some mates of mine and it was all good. We had three guitarists, but the third (Dan) left pretty soon after we started practising, as the drummer was tellin him what to do, which he doesnt like. The band carried on and we were doing fine. The rest of us were all Naieve and the drummer (Cameron) new everything, so we let him tell us what to do and stuff and he became the natural leader. By the time it got to January, we had learnt alot and were trying to influence the band in our own way so it became more of a band than a dictatorship. Initially this went fine and Cameron was fine with it. However, when it came to a song he didnt like, he'd **** around until we got bored and wouldnt play it anymore.

Well it rolled around to late may and Cameron tells me that he doesnt think the band is working out. I agree as we hadnt had a practice in ages and various other things such as commitment from the otherguitarist/singer and we dissolve the band.

A few days later, Cameron and I form a new band with Dan (the third guitarist from the previous band). Problem is we are without a bassist. So we call in the Bassist from the previous band (Chris). So now we are a 4 piece and we're all good (Dan can sing like Marc Bolan with a twist of Bowie, so we're happy). We do a couple of practices and everythings going fine.

One day, Dan cant make it as hes visiting his nan in london and we're cool with that. He promised us hed be back in time for the gig we are to be playing the day after (just a Jam Night, playing a couple of songs) and we're all happy with that.

Well, on that practice without Dan, Cameron (the drummer) drops the Bombshell that he is leaving, because when he starts college he will be put into a new band (he's going to Colchester Institute, which is big on the performing arts). Quite naturally, Chris (bassist) and I are pretty pissed at this. Especially being that he preached on and on about commitment when the last band broke up and now he ditches us.
He promised he'd stay until the end of the Summer Holidays, when he would then leave and we would get another drummer.

Well we picked up a new drummer almost instantly and we are all ready to go on. However, we still have Cameron with us till the end of the Summer. So we go to practice as usual and he isnt focused.
Because he is leaving, he sees there as no point in being serious when playing and so ****s around alot. Example : We are playing Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones) and he suddenly goes into You Really Got Me (Kinks) halfway through the song.
He has also recently announced that he is gay. We havent got a problem with that, but we wonder whether he chose to do it now because he is leaving or something.

Worst thing is, we have a gig in a couple of weeks and everytime we try to get songs sorted he ****s around, so we arent really ready.

Basically, I want to know whether we should bother to continue playing with him till the end of summer, or whether we should just ''fire'' him now and get the new kid in and begin training him up.

Thanks in advance,

Izzy
yeah just use the new guy
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
fire the old guy, train the new guy

Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Being clinical about it fire him. Depends on how close you guys are as friends. You should really talk to him about your side of things though and see if he understands. If he still won't be serious then drop him, if he will then its up to you whether to keep him now and train up a new guy in a while.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Quote by Lrn2play
wow get this published

Are you taking the piss mate? Because its not appreciated. This is a genuine problem and i warned of the length of the post at the beginning. Believe me, this could have been A LOT longer, this is the concise version of events.

To the other guys that answered, Ok cool thanks. It just seems unfair as we are all good mates with Cameron is all.

Id like SlackerBabbath to reply before this dies though, hes full of good wisdom.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Are you taking the piss mate? Because its not appreciated. This is a genuine problem and i warned of the length of the post at the beginning. Believe me, this could have been A LOT longer, this is the concise version of events.

To the other guys that answered, Ok cool thanks. It just seems unfair as we are all good mates with Cameron is all.

Id like SlackerBabbath to reply before this dies though, hes full of good wisdom.

OK then.

In pro bands, where you have gigs under contract and a member is leaving for whatever reason, they usualy agree to play out any remaining gigs in the diary or up until a cirtain date in the future, in the meantime, a search for his/her replacement gets underway.
Once that replacement is found, the member that's leaving helps to get his/her replacement up to speed. If this goes quicker than anticipated and the new member gets up to speed and is ready for gigging before the alloted last gig of the leaving member, occasionaly the guy who's leaving might leave earlier than arranged, but that's boring and no fun at all, so more often than not, the fact that an alloted last gig of a leaving member has been chosen makes that a special gig, where you officially say 'goodbye' to one member and say 'hello' to a new member in front of your public.

Get the guy that's leaving to play most of the set, then have the new guy play on a couple of songs to introduce him, then play your final song with the leaving member and make damn sure that last song is one almighty sendoff, put extended solos in, even repeat a verse or two, and end on a whackin' great big crescendo. (You could even have the new member jamming with the old member, in your case that would require two kits, which would look and sound pretty feckin' impressive and will be talked about localy for ages afterwards.) then publicly shake his hand on stage, pat him on the back and get him to take a bow.
Hell, you could even give him a bunch of flowers if you like. (Which, considering his latest news, could be a nice way of saying you accept his sexual orientation and wish him well.)
You can even have a leaving party (c'mon, we're musicians right? Any excuse for a party is a legitimate one! )

This all then actualy becomes a good advertising slant to the gig in question, you can put on the posters;

'Cameron's last gig and leaving party.'
'Meet the new member!'

...and it also gives any local newspaper reporters (that you will of course get in touch with about doing a feature on the band and this 'special' gig) something to write about. (Which also means they are actualy more likely to do a feature on your band.)

In other words, the 'disadvantage' of having to replace a member becomes a promotional 'advantage'. This also ensures that the split with any member is an amicable one.
Remember, some of you, or all of you, or even just one of you may want to work with this guy again sometime in the distant future, so it makes sense to give him a good sendoff and stay mates with him. And because this is his sendoff, his party, his big night, and because such a lot of promotion, (including press interest) has been done for his last gig, it will also make him more focused towards playing that last run of gigs because he'll want to go out on a high note.
(if you'll excuse the musical pun)

Does that sound like a good plan to you?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 17, 2008,
Now that is exactly what i was talking about.

Thankyou, this is all taken to heart and i am scheming in my head already. Thankyou.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Now that is exactly what i was talking about.

Thankyou, this is all taken to heart and i am scheming in my head already. Thankyou.

Anytime bud, glad I could help.