Page 1 of 2
Yes, I actually snapped a string on my bass. And it isnt G either. Twas D string and it went "BANG!!!"
A common thing for those of you who have played for years, but has this ever happened to you?

I dont feel as hardcore, I was tuning at the time, not playing.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Nah haven't broken a bass string. I have seen on of my mates do it though. Mid gig he snapped the E string, I though it was pretty awesome, luckily he was playing a 5 string and was able to swap the notes over to the B string,
Turns out his bridge saddle was funky.
Never broken a string.

I'm just that good.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I was playing some random song one day and hit the E string ever so right, and it snapped. It was funny, because it took my pick with it when it broke, sending said pick across the room.
Whit abound in this signature
I have broken 1 a, 1 d, and 3 e-strings in 2.5 years And they don't sell strings appart here.

So every time I broke a string I had to pay for a whole set

Quote by Nutter_101
Never broken a string.

I'm just that good.

or you hit the strings like a little girl
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
or you hit the strings like a little girl

You wanna come over here and say that punk?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
You wanna come over here and say that punk?

Punk???
I am just a few months younger than you DUDE!
+ you live to far away
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
i broke 2 g strings and a b string
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by Neo Evil11
Punk???
I am just a few months younger than you DUDE!
+ you live to far away

Yeah... course

Sissy
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I'll say it again, if you're breaking strings you're doing something wrong. Like tuning too high for instance (been there done that). I really cannot fathom how someone could break a string through playing. Not only is it an expensive habit, it's just stupid and unnecessary.
I've broken an E string on my first bass's stock strings. It took my forever to change the strings and I had no idea how to. Also I broke a G string but luckily the music store by my house sells individual strings.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'll say it again, if you're breaking strings you're doing something wrong. Like tuning too high for instance (been there done that). I really cannot fathom how someone could break a string through playing. Not only is it an expensive habit, it's just stupid and unnecessary.

I remember you saying this, just for TS gain of knowlege, didn't you say it could be a problem with a sharp edge on the saddles?
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.

I break a string every 3 years or so, it can just happen with older strings and aggressive playing. If it's happening regularly (more than once a year), ya it's a problem, but just because it happens once might not necessarily mean you're doing something wrong.
Yeah, admittedly there are going to be some things you can't control, like the age of the string (you have to have really old strings) that could result in a few anomalies, but I meant more if it was happening a lot just in the course of daily playing. I was more directing at the guys with a laundry list of broken strings.

To pedalguy, yes a sharp edge on the saddle can cause the string to break. It depends where the string broke though.
Yeah, admittedly there are going to be some things you can't control, like the age of the string (you have to have really old strings) that could result in a few anomalies, but I meant more if it was happening a lot just in the course of daily playing. I was more directing at the guys with a laundry list of broken strings.

I thought so, just wanted to clarify for the guy who breaks his first string then panics.
But you don't need to, that's what I'm saying. If you're playing so hard you break a string you're playing far too hard, in my opinion. Strong hands or not you don't need to play so hard you break one. There is playing aggressively and then there's playing so stupidly hard you break a string.
i had a **** bass back then, and it was when i was learning slap bass, might have something to do with it.
also playing hard gives a really different tone. you get a more piercing sound when you pop hard. the strings arnt indestructible either.
I always figured the only way to break bass strings is it to overslap, but whatever. i guess I haven't snapped any, but I rarely use the G string anyway, i prefer going up the neck alot of the time.
I broke a D string tuning someone else's bass. Granted, part of it was their issue; they put short scale strings on a normal bass. Still, I was nice and paid for a replacement set.
i play quite hard when i'm getting really into a solo sometimes and i have broken all my strings doing this before which is usually followed by a loud "****" then i go a grab another bass. however; i have not done this for about 2 years because i've realized that playing hard isn't as good as playing right
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I've broken my d-string once, and my e-string once too.
d-string from pulling it too many times when slapping, my e-string from wailing on it, or from trying to master some mozart in band class.
it wasnt at the same time tho, dont worry.
I've never broken a bass string.
I know a kid who snapped the E tuning. I think his strings were ancient.
But I've seen plenty of people break strings during shows. I've seen pictures of Matt from Chiodos with broken strings. I was a at a show where the bassist pulled all his strings off at the end.
Apparently, destruction is hardxcore.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
I haven't broken a string yet but, my A string might snap any day now because I cut it too short and now it is just in the hole barely.
at a battle of the bands i saw some guy break his A string... he had to borrow someone from another band's bass. i just dont see how its even physically possible to break a bass string. unless its like reeeeally old.
I haven't broken a string, but I have 3 or 4 old sets of strings in my bass case.

My friend snapped his E from tuning too high, and it whipped him on the leg, gave him a nice red mark.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
i broke a single string and it earned me a hospital visit... and a tetanus shot... and i only had to pay $60 for that awesome adventure
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Quote by solid_moose
I haven't broken a string, but I have 3 or 4 old sets of strings in my bass case.

My friend snapped his E from tuning too high, and it whipped him on the leg, gave him a nice red mark.

strings are not elastic!

they just do: poof.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TANKER69
i broke 2 g strings and a b string

how on earth did you break a b-string....
Quote by mr_potroast
how on earth did you break a b-string....

It's obvious, he uses a Razor blade for that nice scratchy pick sound...

I've never broken a string, but I've only been playing 1 and a bit years or so, so there is plenty of time.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Neo Evil11
strings are not elastic!

they just do: poof.

Actually if a string truly did "snap" then it would whip around and possibly cut something from the tension release. It probably has something to do with Newton, the bastard. However, I can't imagine how that would actually happen, normally it's just as you say "poof" and the winding uncoils.
I've snapped the E string on my fretless before now, the wire in the centre snapped and it just unwound itself, think it was the harsh attacking with the plectrum near the bridge finally killed it
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Nutter_101
Never broken a string.

I'm just that good.

I'm also this good (if not better ).

5 years and no string breakages.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Given that the tension in an E string is about 20 kilograms at most and when the core breaks most of that will be absorbed by the windings I tend to take stories of mass destruction by broken string with a large grain of salt. And if you're snapping strings on a regular basis, you're doing something very wrong.
^or your bridge is ****ed

but yea, they usually pop unlike guitar strings. i've never had one whip off and attack someone before!

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
^or your bridge is ****ed

but yea, they usually pop unlike guitar strings. i've never had one whip off and attack someone before!

I always think that should be tested by Mythbusters, because I think it is just that, an urban myth.

The one string I broke, really didn't break as much as strip and then unwind.
^If you cut it with plyers it would probably snap back a bit, but the mass of it would make it far too slow

i guess tightening it til it snapped would be pretty crap, since they just unwind

Quote by metaldud536

Page 1 of 2