Anyone have any experience with pedals that kill the humming noise that some tube amps have? The Peavey Classic 30 hums whenever its on even with nothing plugged in. I know they all do the same because I've tried 3 now.

I've heard Electro Harmonix make a Hum Debugger. Do these things really work?

Thanks
Pretty much every amp hums. It's not specific for the Classic 30, or even tube amps.

I don't know about the Hum Debugger, but ISP Decimator is one of the UG favourites. Supposedly it's very good, better than the often-compared Boss NS-2.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^Horlicks wins

ISP ftw
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Would the decimator even kill a hum which I get on clean channels? I get a hum even with nothing plugged in. Sorry for so many questions but I dont wanna spend £100 on a pedal that wont work. Any good places to order them in the UK?
it sounds like your hum is coming from the amp, in which case, a pedal will do nothing. thats just the way amps are. the pedals just cut noise from other pedals and the guitar.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
So how come a cheap Marshall solid state 30w makes no noise or hum.. but a £380 Classic 30 does? And theres nothing I can do about it
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
it sounds like your hum is coming from the amp, in which case, a pedal will do nothing. thats just the way amps are. the pedals just cut noise from other pedals and the guitar.

It's called an effects loop, use it.
Quote by Horlicks
It's called an effects loop, use it.

true...
completely forgot about that as my amp doesn't have one

yeah, putting it in the effect loop would work, unless it's the power amp causing the hum.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Lucky I have an effects loop then. I may just take the risk and buy one. Tried phoning some shops in London and no one has them. How quick was delivery from that site Horlicks?
Quote by Yngwi3
^Horlicks wins

ISP ftw

...you bastard. It was all me Why don't you all sing praise to me? *sniff*
Quote by Lunchbox362
Does the Decimator run on batteries or do I have to plug it in?
Quote by Noted
Does the Decimator run on batteries or do I have to plug it in?

I think it can do either, but I'm not 100% sure.
Quote by Lunchbox362
but guise, hum is teh metalz!!!!!

but this is strange, my fender twin never hummed before i sold it. maybe a bit when cranked, but not all the time. interesting...
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
but guise, hum is teh metalz!!!!!

but this is strange, my fender twin never hummed before i sold it. maybe a bit when cranked, but not all the time. interesting...

Did you run it mainly clean? Usually clean channels are pretty silent while distortion channels hum.
Quote by Lunchbox362
i think someone is selling one on UG as we speak

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Fama
Did you run it mainly clean? Usually clean channels are pretty silent while distortion channels hum.

well it was the 65' reissue, where its only one channel and thats clean lol. but even while running overdrives it never just hummed uncontrollably
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
If you're buying one, try here.

It's £20 cheaper than guitarguitar, who are putting their prices up
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
So I got the Decimator. It does remove some of the distorted hum on high volumes and when there's gain but it does nothing to the amp's general humming noise. The humming/buzzing seems to come from the back of the amp where the tubes are. Maybe it's just what the Classic 30 sounds like and theres nothing I can do.

And yes I did put it in the effects loop.

Are there any other amps similar to the Classic 30 that I could try which don't hum?
Quote by Noted
So I got the Decimator. It does remove some of the distorted hum on high volumes and when there's gain but it does nothing to the amp's general humming noise. The humming/buzzing seems to come from the back of the amp where the tubes are. Maybe it's just what the Classic 30 sounds like and theres nothing I can do.

Are there any other amps similar to the Classic 30 that I could try which don't hum?

did you increase the threshold?
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by Noted

Dude...

Unless it totally takes over all your sound a bit of humming shouldn't matter. there's no need to sell a perfectly good amp just for a bit of background noise
Hey,

I just bought an Ebtech HE-2 Hum Eliminator with the intention of using two amps for my clean/dirty channels (still waiting for a AB selector to arrive to use both amps.. but I thought I'd try it with a single amp). I have a fair few pedals between my guitar and the amp, and plugged in normally everything is fine and dandy. Although, when I put the HE-2 in line just before my amp it ruins my signal by adding a LOT of noise. I can't quite understand why it's amplifying it all so much.. isn't it supposed to remove it as a byproduct of removing hum?

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Cheers
It's passive, so it doesn't need any power.

Also, even if I simplify my rig drastically (to just guitar > HE-2 > amp) I get no end of noise where I get none if I go straight from guitar > amp. My guitar is an Ibanez with the Dimarzio designed Ibanez passive pickups and the same problem happens with both amps (Marshall MG100 and an old Laney of sorts).
Ah, ok. Not to worry. I bought it with the assumption that I'd need it for when using both amps with a selector (often produces ground hum, yes?). But even if it does work for that.. this noise is awful!

I just read somewhere about power conditioners.. but I need to read more about them. At the moment I have both amps and a dunlop power brick connected to a 4-way surge protected power adapter off one socket, might it be something to do with how that's connected?