Poll: Are you comfortable buying a guitar online?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you comfortable buying a guitar online?
Yes, I'll return it if I have problems.
21 68%
Never, I don't buy unless I can play first.
10 32%
Voters: 31.
I have heard from a lot of people that due to the changes in tone from one guitar to another, even within the same models, no one should ever buy a guitar without playing that specific one first. I'm sure there is some truth to this, but is it really worth avoiding musiciansfriend and other great deals? I'll be buying a MIM Strat pretty soon and I can get a much better deal online than in the shop but I have been told with those guitars specifically lemons are pretty common. Any thoughts?
Try in a shop, then buy online. If you dislike the sound of the guitar you bought online, you can return it most of the time as most shops have things like "30 day money back guarantee".
I know some people who have had great luck with buying guitars/amps online, and some who have had terrible experiences (+1 to the 30-day return policy, I would not recommend buying anything online without an offer like that). I personally would never buy anything worth that much money without being able to play it first.

Also, if you really can get a better deal on a new guitar, print out the ad and bring it to a local store, chances are they'll match the price.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
If it's a price on a new guitar from a real online vendor, then Guitar Center will match the price on the guitar if it's an instrument they sell and you provide proof.

GC was the store I had in mind, but I wasn't sure if you had one around.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Well GC bought out my music shop in Frederick MD so I'm hoping that means the price matching comes with the new ownership...
if your gonna buy online...first find a few u like then find a store and try em out first
Thanks for reading this... Ladies
I don't really like buying guitars online. I have in the past, I probably won't ever again.

No bad experience really, I just like to put my hands on what I buy.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
well shops will match the price taxes. online if you buy anything over 100 bucks its free shipping
being left handed, even trying most models never mind buying them in a shop is pretty much out of the question.

learn how to do a basic setup yourself and you're fine really.

you'd be supprised how many people i've seen pick up a guitar and declare it a lemon when all it needs is a quick once over on a workbench with a bit of sandpaper a screwdriver and a soldering iron.
It really depends on the guitar.

A MIM Strat I would really buy one from a store because there are some pretty crappy ones and some really nice ones. Usually the lower the price on the guitar the more of a chance it will be a lemon. I bought my ESP online because the only ESP dealer near me didn't have anything I wanted, it came perfect.

One nice thing about a store though is that you can try to get them to throw in a free set-up plus strings/picks/gig bags/leads. It all depends on the store though.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I've bought a bunch more guitars online than from stores and haven't had an issue returning them. A bunch of stuff I've bought I've never even seen in stores so trying before buying is impossible. Pretty much everyone online has a decent return policy, many now will even pay for return shipping.
Every guitar is different, there's no way I'm putting down money for something I've never played. It's not even that there could be 'problems' with a guitar, you'll think I'm an idiot, but certain guitars have certain attitudes, you can hear it in the tone, and in the way it plays and how comfortable it is on you. I've played guitars of the exact same model and every single one felt and sounded different to me.

Now excuse me if I get a bit idealist/hippyish/idiot here but I believe good music is a byproduct of love, with so much happiness and good stuff going on you need a soundtrack to match. Now if music and love are so intermingled, you need it to be present everywhere. You need to love your music, you need to love your bandmates, you need to love your songs and lyrics and everything, and you really need to love your guitar. How can you expect to love something you've never seen before? To me, buying a guitar online is like an arranged marriage, where you never even meet the person beforehand. Sure, it might work out and you'll have a bunch of great kids (good songs) and you'll live happily ever after. But I'd rather go out and meet a bunch of guitars and find the one I love, then I can happily marry it (buy it), take it home and make sweet love to it (umm) knowing that I've made the right decision.

...But that's just me
Well put, any guitarist that doesn't agree with that on some level needs to put down their ipod full of Korn and Slipknot and pay a little respect to where rock and roll came from, but thats another topic entirely.

I only hope I have the patience to wait for when its truly "love," and not just me wanting to get home with a new guitar and start playing ASAP.
I always buy online.

I need to be 100% satisfied with a guitar or I will return and I can't bring myself to buy a 'used' wall guitar.

I've bought 4 in the past online and only had to return one.

I always try before I buy, I live a couple of miles away from 4 large retailers.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by Sharck
Every guitar is different, there's no way I'm putting down money for something I've never played. It's not even that there could be 'problems' with a guitar, you'll think I'm an idiot, but certain guitars have certain attitudes, you can hear it in the tone, and in the way it plays and how comfortable it is on you. I've played guitars of the exact same model and every single one felt and sounded different to me.

Now excuse me if I get a bit idealist/hippyish/idiot here but I believe good music is a byproduct of love, with so much happiness and good stuff going on you need a soundtrack to match. Now if music and love are so intermingled, you need it to be present everywhere. You need to love your music, you need to love your bandmates, you need to love your songs and lyrics and everything, and you really need to love your guitar. How can you expect to love something you've never seen before? To me, buying a guitar online is like an arranged marriage, where you never even meet the person beforehand. Sure, it might work out and you'll have a bunch of great kids (good songs) and you'll live happily ever after. But I'd rather go out and meet a bunch of guitars and find the one I love, then I can happily marry it (buy it), take it home and make sweet love to it (umm) knowing that I've made the right decision.

...But that's just me

Thats a cool way to put it, but considering in the guitar world its ok to be a polygamist changes things entirely. If you were forced to play one guitar 'till death' then yeah you may want to find that perfect one. I honestly don't read that much into the "tone", I pick a guitar thats comfortable and throw in new pick-ups if need be and I do my thing.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪