Guys how many watts are needed to play lead guitar in a pub band? I tend to play soft rock such as U2, Oasis, Bon Jovi, and a little Gn’Rs type stuff. 75w, 100w or 120???
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
If it's solid state, you're looking 120 watt minimum, but look for a tube amp. 50-60 watts of tube power should do it without too much trouble.
Cheers boys. I didn't realize SS and Tube made a differance in terms of "loudness".
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
50W solid state should be ok, but you might want to go higher to give yourself more headroom without it starting to crap out. If you don't mind a bit of power tube saturation, 20-25W tube is probably fine.
There's a good description of why a tube amp is "louder" in the third post of the Everything you ever wanted to know about TUBES! thread over in the gear forum.

If you playing pubs and such, a 40-50 watt tube is more than enough, my 40w is loud enough that I haven't yet played a show where I got to turn it up past 3. It goes to 12.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
It varies from brand to brand too. E.g. a 50w Marshall amp tends to be louder than a 50w Fender amp.

General rule of thumb though, for the typical small pub or bar gig (i.e. probably less than 200 people, perhaps not even 100...), a 15-25w tube amp can be heard up front but people at the back will barely hear though you could mic the amp up through addiitonal speakers/house PA, or a 50w-ish amp from any brand should be loud enough to fill out the room nicely. More than that tends to be overkill as far as volume is concerned.

The main problem is tone. The volume difference between say, 40w and 50w is almost nothing (barely even a 5% increase in max volume), but the 50w will handle the same volume better than the 40w would with more dynamic range. Also if you want to get rich amp overdrive, you'll need to have the amp cranked and maxed out, so perhaps then it might be a good idea to actually go for slightly lower wattage so the amp overdrives sooner.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A 50w amp in a pub is overkill already
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band