Lets say you have a smaller amp that you like the sound of or can not achieve on a louder amp, you would plug the smaller amp into the larger one to achieve the tone you want on the louder amp
No Money, No Honey.
Quote by squier19
Lets say you have a smaller amp that you like the sound of or can not achieve on a louder amp, you would plug the smaller amp into the larger one to achieve the tone you want on the louder amp

whu? you go from the smaller amps "speaker out" jack into the "guitar input" of the second amp?
or you go from the efx loop "send" of the first amp into the loop "return" of the second?
Quote by Starchild_ex4
Wouldn't the louder amp color the tone of the smaller amp?

Not really if you do it right, because generally you're cranking the small amp to get its tone, & the larger amp is used as just a power amp. If the larger amp is a regular amp as opposed to a straight power amp, I personally would set it to a very clean setting to best hear the tone of the smaller amp, otherwise it will color the tone, & most likely make it muddier.
I re-amp a 50W non-master volume head (w/ an OCD in front of it) fully cranked (load box connected in place of speakers) into a little Crate Power Block power amp, & it gets the most godly early Van Halen tone, you'd have to hear it to believe it.

Edit: ^My amps have unbalanced line-out jacks that send the fully cranked small amp signal (converted by the line-out to a guitar level signal) to the guitar input jack of the power amp. There are external devices that do this also, but the sound is nowhere near as good as when the amp has its own line-out). These devices include THD Hot Plates & Palmer PDI03 load boxes, among others.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jul 17, 2008,