O.k. guys I've been playing a few years now and I'm getting pretty decent. I want to try out for jazz band this year since there will be an open slot for the guitar. I was told to get a Real book to prepare but I do not know what edition I need. Also... I would like to know what else i should look into before I try out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
My Rig...

Guitars:
2003 Ovation Collectors Series
Custom U.S.A. Parts Strat
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112
Fender Sidekick Reverb 65

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
lol depends on ur kind of guitar style. if u like to play lead and rock and rip out solos, then this is not your place (talking about high school jazz band....this also depends on what level and what school). i thought about the same thing, so i joined the jazz band and all i did was like trillions of barre chords that cannot even be heard ( they told me to turn it down wtf) and a solo that was 6 seconds long. it was not a good experience. this may be different with your school because the band i was in had 2 guitarists so we split but other than that, i would just join a rock band where u can do whatever u want.
Get practicing sight reading, chord constructions, learning inversions of chords, knowing all notes on the fretboard, inversions, chords in different positions, modes, scales, arpeggios. Theory is very important, but don't neglect practicing complex chord changes. It depends though what sort of jazz band it is and how dominant a role you will be playing!
Thanks for reading
Last year the guitarist seemed to use power chords? and was almost overpowering. Jazz band or any band is a big deal at my school and the musicians are generally very talented so they tend to play higher level music. Most of the guitar seems to be rhythm with a few places for improvs here and there. I would like to play the appropriate chords and get the right sound for jazz though...
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
Right, well learn sets of chords in either positions or harmonies. E.g learn all the chords in the 3rd position at a time or something. Or learn all the variations of 7th chords. There's many a way you can do it but if one of these people were using power chords, then really you won't have big shoes to fill. Ha.

As far as solos, learn the modes for each. And learn to read key signatures of course.
Thanks for reading
just go for it, someone will be experienced and should be able to help you when your there...
thanks for the help and encouragement but does anyone know what edition of this book i need to get?
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
You needed to learn how to play Freddie Greene comping using shell voicings. Please look up how to do these and listen to them (in Count Basie's band get a CD by them now!), because that is all a band director would want out of a guitar player on most types of charts that aren't rock or latin. The Real Book will help you with jazz in general, but not with a big band because it is a book with the melodies and chord changes for a bunch of jazz songs. If you do buy this and have know idea how to play the changes for a song then you need a lot of work to get in. Also know how to read music, you could probably get by with just turning down if you can't sight read well, but be able to eventually work written lines out.
12 fret fury
I suggest you know how to read sheet music, get your technique down, and purchase a more jazz oriented guitar. Try one of the ibanez jazz hollowbodies, they sound good for a low price. Also get roundwound strings for it.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"