maybe accessories forum?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Thanks for the tip.
If I can get these two for $20, I'm sure I'll find some use for them. I'll keep an eye out for a SP B1.
They'll be surprisingly good for the price, but not awesome in the grander scheme of things. To get measurably better you generally need to take the Behringer price on any of their products and multiply it by 2.

SP mics are nice. Also worth checking out are something like the Rode NT5's. The Rodes will run you about $400-ish for the pair, IIRC, but will give you quite nice results.

Just curious, though..... these mics are pretty application specific. What would you be recording with them?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Those microphones aren't half bad. I've heard them in a Gearwire review, and while mid-heavy, it wasn't awful. Spend 2x Behringer and get the Samson CO2 matched pair, 2x Samson and you get the Rode NT5 matched pair. Then you spend 4x the Rode for two Neumann KM183s. And it means jack unless you have a good preamp (Mackie XDR at least) driving it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I bought a set a few weeks back to use as drum overheads.

They're not bad, but they do sound a bit tinny and crisp, so you'll have to do a bit of compensating.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jul 18, 2008,
Just curious, though..... these mics are pretty application specific. What would you be recording with them?

Mostly acoustic guitar, guitar amp (at fairly low volume) and vocals.
It may work for acoustic double-miked, but you should get a straightforward large diaphragm condenser with a pad, dynamic, or ribbon for the guitar amp/vocals.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I would steer far clear of these mics.
Behringer has a horrible reputation.
There are much better options in the "cheap mic" price range.
Trying to record with Behringer mics is like trying to play basketball with a brick.
Silly, pointless, needlessly difficult and generally poorer quality than the real thing.
Save up a bit longer and get something better.
I've decided to let these mics pass, they've gotten too expensive for the feedback I'm getting. I'll be going for Rode mic instead (see my other post).
@Dream Pin - What Behringer mics do you have experience with? I have a pair of ECM8000's that we used as drum overheads on our album, and they were totally fine. I have other Behringer products too, and really have no gripes against them.

The problem is that there is a LOT of unsubstantiated rhetoric out there from people with no actual experience with them.

I'll venture to guess that the Samson's won't be measurably, if any better. The Rodes on the other hand, yes.

That all said, for what the TS is looking for, these are all unusual (though not unusable) choices for that application. I'd second the motion for a large diaphragm condensor. For a guitar cab, dynamic mics are usually a good choice. Medium diaphragm condensors are generally good for miking a chamber ensemble, choir, etc. - something where you just fly up a couple of mics and capture the sound in the whole room.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 18, 2008,
yea a lot of people jump on the band waggona nd just go off on Behringer.
IMO they are not great but if you dont have a high budget their products DO work most of the time.

I own their KX1200 Keyboard/ PA amp and other than the mic input not working as it should it sounds great and I have been running with it for 2 years now.

On the other hand I tried a small mixer from Behringer before getting my Yamaha MG and found the preamps to be very noisy...but it did work.

Once again, the point is that their gear DOES work most of the time however there are better choices for a little more money.
Quote by moody07747
yea a lot of people jump on the band waggona nd just go off on Behringer.
IMO they are not great but if you dont have a high budget their products DO work most of the time.

I own their KX1200 Keyboard/ PA amp and other than the mic input not working as it should it sounds great and I have been running with it for 2 years now.

On the other hand I tried a small mixer from Behringer before getting my Yamaha MG and found the preamps to be very noisy...but it did work.

Once again, the point is that their gear DOES work most of the time however there are better choices for a little more money.

There's a band wagon there for a reason.
Behringer works, sure. But only barely. The quality, reliability and sound of their products is awful.
Defending behringer is silly. There's better options out there for barely any more money.
Why not TBone stuff from Thomann? Not that much more expensive, and much better quality.
I shouldn't have to defend my point of view here. It's ****ing behringer.
Come on.
You never did say which of their products you own or have owned or at least have first-hand experience with.

OTOH - We recorded our album (see orignal songs in my profile, or www.now-here-this.com) with probably 80% of the tracks going through a Behringer mixer. UB2442-FX-PRO. Would it sound better through a CraneSong? Probably. A Mackie? Probably not. The sound of their products is awful is it? Then why does our album NOT sound awful? Hmmm? Maybe it's because their products aren't as bad as rhetoric-spouting folks like to believe it is.

Additionally, all the solos and some of the rhythm guitars were done through A V-Amp.

The drum overheads for the album were ECM8000's.

Here is something I did five years ago when I barely knew what I was doing. It is *all* behringer stuff. (well, in the recording chain....) http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10199&songID=224576

(there's a reason why I never promote that site anymore.... haha)

It's an intermediate level acoustic guitar (Norman B20) with old strings. I miked up a pair of ECM8000's in an XY configuration (sort of, anyway... capsules about 2 inches apart, a little less than 90 degree angle) pointing roughly at the 12th fret. Both mics were plugged into my Behringer MX802A mixer (yes... ), and directly to my Delta 44 soundcard into Cubase. There was NO EQ, NO compression, NO effects/signal processing going into Cubase. Once recorded and playing back, I was wishing that I had engaged the Lo cut on the mixer, but I didn't, so I applied only enough EQ to roll off the low frequencies below about 100hz. Nothing else... completely raw.

In retrospect, I should have placed the mics a little lower so that they were angled more toward the top strings than the bottom so as to reduce the "boominess" a bit more naturally... oh, welll...

It's one take (there are mistakes in it), and it's short - about 44 sec. and about a half a meg as mp3.

Now, I ask you again.... what Behringer stuff do you have first-hand experience with?

From what you can hear on our album and on that little clip, I'd say your assessment of it barely working and sounding awful is not terribly well-founded.
CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 22, 2008,