Well, I can't sell my Crate Vc50, so I decided I'm just going to restore it. New tolex, new grill cloth, new hardware, new tubes (current ones are dying), and new speakers. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. If I use this tolex, how do I find out how much to buy?

2. If I use this grill cloth, how do I find out how much to buy?

3. I believe it has 4 power tubes and 4 preamp tubes. I have no idea what kind, or if I'm right. Does anyone know for sure, or know how I can check? Anyways, I'm going to replace them. Suggestions? I want this thing as high gain as possible.

4. It has 3 10 inch speakers, and they are stock crate ones. I want to replace them, to help make it have higher gain. Suggestions? I don't want to spend more then like $50 per speaker, if at all possible? (Low end Jensen speakers??)

5. Where can I buy new hardware? Casters, strap, corners, knobs?

There's a before pic.
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
It doens't look like it needs appearance restoring
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
It doesn't look like it, but I want to. So I'm going to.
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
It doesn't look in too bad a shape so I wouldn't bother restoring the appearance but as far as re-tubing goes, the tubes should say what type they are on them also, speakers aren't going to drastically affect gain levels, you'll hear a difference in tone but if they aren't broken I wouldn't bother replacing them if you're going to sell. Good luck
I can't see the pic at the moment but there are cleaners for tolex like Armourall Automotive cleaner. (Even household stuff can work or plain old soap and water)
I would start with the tubes first since any other money spent would wasted if you can't get the amp functioning well first. The tube types should be written on the tubes themselves or there may be a guide located somewhere on the amp. You can also check the MFRs website as they usually have a user's manual & service information there for downloading. It's doubtfull your can get more gain by changng speakers. If you reduce the load impedance you may get a little more wattage from the amp but with tube amps you have to be careful not to go too low. (expected impedances for main and extension speakers are usually mentioned on the amp rear plate.)
Crate's website (as well as many other MFRs) sell accessories like casters, corner proectors handles etc.
Moving on.....
So I don't have to replace speakers? And nobody has reccomended any high-gain tubes?
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
No you won't need to replace speakers and i find it stupid that you are redoing it but it's all up to you and i suggest try eBay for the Hardware.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

www.tubesandmore.com has alll the stuff you would need pretty much.
www.eurotubes.com is a great site for tubes and they can offer higher gain alternatives.
check ebay for speakers cuz thats going to be the cheapest route for something decent. crate speakers are generally pretty much on the low end of the quality scale.
Quote by Afyum
So I don't have to replace speakers? And nobody has reccomended any high-gain tubes?

without knowing what types your amp currently uses it's hard to recommend replacements. Putting in a different manufacturer's version of the same tube really won't increase gain becuase the circuit design and components around each tube stage place specific limits on how how the circuit amplifies signals based on the tube chosen. There's a lot of hype out there about tubes & not all of it is true.
Moving on.....
Quote by KISSguitarist
No you won't need to replace speakers and i find it stupid that you are redoing it but it's all up to you and i suggest try eBay for the Hardware.

So what's your problem? I didn't ask if you thought its stupid, and I frankly don't care. I'll do what I want to it.

And as to the tubes, okay I'll go check what's in there. Thanks for the links too.
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Okay I checked. It has 4 el84's and 4 ax7a's
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Sorry I was in a bit of a rush. And okay, now can people suggest good high-gain replacements....?
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
I don't want to go to all that trouble. I'm sure someone on here knows....
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
I can't quickly find a schematic, but I am assuming that the preamp is a traditional 2 12AX7 with at least one of the halves being a cathode follower. Getting higher gain 12AX7s won't automatically turn the amp into a brutal metal amp or anything, neither will the looks. One of the 12AX7s is going to be a phase inverter, and you want to get a well balanced tube for that position assuming that the amp was designed using an ideally balanced long tailed pair phase inverter.

The other 12AX7 is probably used for the reverb driver/buffer, again another place where it is unnecessary to throw a high gain tube.

In the end I could see you throwing $150-200 down the tubes, given that you don't go for new speakers, to make the amp and sound just a bit different.
I'm not an expert of tubes yet Without seeing the schematic, I can't give you much advise, either. Axecutioner is probably pretty close to being correct.
Yeah, i wouldn't change out the preamp tubes either, unless they are really ****ed, cos they do last a long time, just get some nice NOS preamp tubes if you want to change them, so you don't have to worry about PI's and stuff. Power tubes just get JJ El84 (i think they are the decent ones, have a look on the thread about tubes) and if you HAVE to get hi-gain then get that. But tubes aren't gonna make it that much more hi-gain tbh
lol@u
if you're looking for new speakers check out the ones being sold by avatar speakers on ebay, the ones they don't use in their cabs get auctioned off at damn good prices. i've bought from their auctions and they ship quickly. as for the tolex i hope you realize that doing that stuff can be a pain in the ass, make sure you get some great adhesive and plan out how you're going to wrap it.