would i be correct in saying the following

for example: take a c major scale (CDEFGABC) and by simply changing a few key notes like say i replace D with D# and replace B with A#or any number of replacements i could end up up in the minor, phrygian, locrian scales ? ......

(im not being specific, but many of you probably know what im getting at)
You are, in essence, correct. All(?) scales can be derived from the Major scale.

In reality, it's best to also commit each scale to memory.
thanks ........my brain was racked trying to figure them out, but one day it just suddenly "clicked"
That is one way of arriving at the answers although you'd be better working in a I II III IV V VI VII type template that you could overlay any key and make the changes

I'm sure there must be a sticky somewhere.
Yes. Think of scales as an alteration of the major scale.

The major scale has the intervals of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. If you play the major scale with a sharp 4th, you get the intervals: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7. That is the Lydian scale

Edit:
Quote by Mr. Smartass
I'm sure there must be a sticky somewhere.

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

The major scale has the intervals of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. If you play the major scale with a sharp 4th, you get the intervals: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7. That is the Lydian scale

Edit:

Who you calling a smartass?
Quote by RichieJovie
Who you calling a smartass?

I thought it was obvious
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

Edit:

the way my text explains it is that each mode will be like either the Major OR the minor scale with 1 alteration (except locrian with 2 alterations)

when writing the scale steps you ofcourse have to write the numbers as they related to the Major scale, however you should compare minor type scales to the natural minor scale, and Major type scales to the Major scale.

Example:

Ionian (Major scale)
Dorian (minor scale with a raised/natural 6)
phrygian (minor scale with a b2)
lydian (Major scale with a #4)
Mixolydian (Major scale with a b7)
aeolian (natural minor scale)
locrian (minor scale with a b2 & b5)

Seeing it this way allows you to see the modes based on their "scale types" which is more musically applicable.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
the way my text explains it is that each mode will be like either the Major OR the minor scale with 1 alteration (except locrian with 2 alterations)

when writing the scale steps you ofcourse have to write the numbers as they related to the Major scale, however you should compare minor type scales to the natural minor scale, and Major type scales to the Major scale.

Example:

Dorian (minor scale with a raised/natural 6)
phrygian (minor scale with a b2)
lydian (Major scale with a #4)
Mixolydian (Major scale with a b7)
aeolian (natural minor scale)
locrian (minor scale with a b2 & b5)

I do that in my head but the only problem I have with it is when people start saying something like: Harmonic minor is natural minor with a #6. That suggests there is a #6 in Harmonic minor when it is a natural 6. That's just me being picky. I think everything related to the major scale stops any confusion like that from happening (even though comparing to the minor scale is easier).

So... I agree with you but not for learning purposes.

Quote by RichieJovie
GFY

I have no clue what that means but you DO know I was kidding, right? I'm more of a smartass than any one on here.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I have no clue what that means
"Go fuck yourself," I would assume.

One thing to keep in mind, Mr. TS, is that when you replace a note, the base letter must be the same. It's okay to replace D with D# or Db, but don't replace it with C#. Every base letter must be used once and only once in a standard Western scale.