Just curious how you feel about the 85.

I have 81s in the bridge position of all of my guitars, but on my primary guitar, I find myself wanting lately.

Its ash-bodied so its very bright and while I love the clarity, I'd like a bit more in the low-mid range and more in the way of harmonics.

Will the 85 put me where I want to be?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I am really disliking my 85....too boomy.... I may consider switching to a 60 considering I can just swap, but...it feels too boomy... Unless you turn the bass wayyy down on your amp......

When I can get a good tone out of it, I love it....

But its REALLY hard to.....

otherwise...again....boomy
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
i don't have a EMG 85 but your sig is f*cking awesome

我会关闭我的耳朵和我的心和我会一石

that's sweet dude, i wish i thought of something like that
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
i have an 85 and an 81 always use the 81 hardly ever use the 85 only for cleans too thick for my liking.
The 85 is very thick and warm but handles distortion very well (as with all emg's )
However, it's not the greatest pup for cleans. You'd do much better with an 81 for cleans.

Quote by led,rainsong
i don't have a EMG 85 but your sig is f*cking awesome

我会关闭我的耳朵和我的心和我会一石

that's sweet dude, i wish i thought of something like that

Completely off topic here... but was that machine translated?
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'll stick with the 81 for now. When I've got some cash I'll give the 85 a try, I can always turn it around.

Now for these sig comments...

Quote by led,rainsong
i don't have a EMG 85 but your sig is f*cking awesome...
I thank you but I can not take the credit for it.

Its a line from the movie Serenity. I too thought it was beautiful and since I absolutely love Firefly and Serenity, I sig'd it

Quote by firebreath07
...Completely off topic here... but was that machine translated?
Yes. The translation of the original phrase spoken in the movie comes from this site, but the pinyinary they list didn't seem to work too well with the google translator (Not the most accurate or best, I know, but its all I had to work with). So, I copied the phrase (In english), had google translate it into Chinese, then back to english to make sure it worked. It did and so I kept it
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I have the 85 in the neck in my jackson, and whilst I like it I'm considering putting a 60 in there :/

imo the 85 is good but nowhere near perfect.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by jm1681
Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'll stick with the 81 for now. When I've got some cash I'll give the 85 a try, I can always turn it around.

Its a line from the movie Serenity. I too thought it was beautiful and since I absolutely love Firefly and Serenity, I sig'd it

FINALLY!!!! ANOTHER FIREFLY FAN!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU FOX!!!!!
Indeed

Only thing I absolutely can't stand about the show is that there are only 14 episodes of it

Serenity was great, but I need much, much more.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
While studio editing might work some wonders, listen to sound clips by Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage. The guitarists in both bands use EMG 85s in their guitars' bridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrvW8PB2rc

That clip is of an 85 in the bridge, through a TT and a 4x12, unboosted. While the amp has a lot to do with it, the tone is thick and crunchy.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
85 in the bridge? or the neck? ^^^^
T'would be in the bridge position of a very bright guitar.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I have 81/85s in my SG. The 81 in the Bridge is too bright for the guitar - the 85 in the neck sounds better.

I'm doing the 18v mod tonight. I'll report back.
You'll love that
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
KsE have 85's in their bridges. I don't like the unfocused, edgeless attack and tone the 85 gives in the bridge.

Stick to your 81.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by jm1681

Yes. The translation of the original phrase spoken in the movie comes from this site, but the pinyinary they list didn't seem to work too well with the google translator (Not the most accurate or best, I know, but its all I had to work with). So, I copied the phrase (In english), had google translate it into Chinese, then back to english to make sure it worked. It did and so I kept it

Well, I hate to say it but it's not quite correct...
I guess a native Chinese speaker would understand it (I certainly did after a short while...) but may I suggest a better alternative?

我会关我的耳朵和我的心和我会
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by 667
I have 81/85s in my SG. The 81 in the Bridge is too bright for the guitar - the 85 in the neck sounds better.

I'm doing the 18v mod tonight. I'll report back.

Ok, did this. It is better. My Jackson with the Dunks still sounds way better'er.
The 85 is IMO a neck pick up, it has a lot more low end than the 81, this is especially noticeable when playing clean stuff. I like it for soloing more but it just doesnt have the same bite, attack and sorta edginess that my 81 has. Now it should be noted I have never swapped the pickups and the 81 has never been in a neck position and the 85 has never been in a bridge position but with them set up as 81bri 85 neck this is what i have found.
Quote by firebreath07
I guess a native Chinese speaker would understand it (I certainly did after a short while...) but may I suggest a better alternative?
You may

Quote by firebreath07
我会关我的耳朵和我的心和我会
Fixed, thank you

Quote by A-5best
...I like it for soloing more but it just doesnt have the same bite, attack and sorta edginess that my 81 has...
Thats what I'm looking for. The 81 stays put.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Last edited by jm1681 at Jul 18, 2008,
I have a very dark guitar, but the problem is that the 85 is too boomy sounding in the neck, and the 81 too bright in the bridge..... I may switch them tonight and see how it goes.
Quote by firebreath07

我会关我的耳朵和我的心和我会

This isn't entirely right. The correction to the later part of the sentence is okay, but your use of 掉 to replace 闭 is kind of wrong. 关闭 in this case means to "close off", or "shut" your ears, while 关掉 means "switch off", which doesn't sound very appropriate in this case. Chinese is my second language, so I should know :/

TS, it should be 我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头.
And updated yet again

I want to learn Chinese so bad, but I see I clearly have my work cut out for me
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
LONG LIVE LOW INPUT PICKUPS!

I prefer Seymour duncan #1

I'd get Dimarzio but I hear they are the same.
So the Donais model I bought this weekend has the 85 in the bridge position and its quite inspired IMO.

Its very full and quite punchy. Kinda like an 81 with a bit more in the mid/low-mid register. It doesn't sound muddy (And the Donais is all Mahogany) at all and its got all kinds of harmonics.

I just might swap the 81 out of my H2...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头