Page 1 of 5
Hey, and yeah im new here
So the guitar i got at the moment is... well.. a piece of ****? i believe you would call it. It was just one of those $250 starter kits with a ****ty guitar and amp.. only got it to see if i'd be into guitar enough to actually pursue it, and well yeah i pursued it.. Been playing for like 5 months now.. and in about 6months or so i'm going to purchase a new guitar.. Now im sorta tossing up between;
an Ibanez RG420EX
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=IBRGR420EXRAR

and an Ibanez RG350DX
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1240&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=51

They're both around the $1,000 mark which is where i am aiming.. what do you guys think? i like the versatility of the pickups on the DX but i like how the EX has better pickups ya know. Which would you choose? or recommend me others.. i play alot of rock/heavy rock/metal sort of stuff so yeah. Thanks
dude i dont even know if i would drop that kinda money on a guitar like that....
you can get better deals than that ibanez..... check out schecter or esp....
they have great guitars....that cost less and IMO are of better quality
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Go for an amp upgrade first.

Also, exactly how good are you (eg what can you play)? If you're still at a beginner level, there's no point in getting an intermediate/pro axe. It's just a waste of money.

What are your reasons for getting a new guitar? Do you just want one, or do you feel like you need a better guitar to advance in your playing skills? If it's the former (GAS hehe... it gets us all), then wait until you feel like you really need a new guitar. If you're on a plateau at the moment and feel like you need new gear to improve, go ahead and buy one. If not, you'd be better off buying a better amp and saving up for a guitar later on in the future.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
personally if you are willing to spend 1000 on a guitar.....
i would much rather spend 500 on a decent guitar...and a decent amp
for someone who has been playing for 5 months it isnt really nessisary for you to spend 1000 bucks on an axe just yet

and the fact of the matter is...you need a new amp as well... why would you want to play a 1000 dollar guitar on a starter kit amp????
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
If you have less than 1 grand, go look to the Schecters.

And get a new amp before a new guitar, because a good guitar through a bad amp will sound ****ty and a beginner guitar through a good amp will sound good.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Last edited by QuebecMetal at Jul 17, 2008,
I'm gettin the new guitar for my 18th which is a fair while away.. but ill get a new amp soon.. gonna get this amp
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=MAMG30DFX

But yeah i heard schecters are good.. i cant seem to find many in stores where i am, especially in the AU$1K price range, any ideas? i really liked the RG420EX.. thought was damn sexy but if you got better advice im willing to take it.
Quote by braydz
I'm gettin the new guitar for my 18th which is a fair while away.. but ill get a new amp soon.. gonna get this amp
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=MAMG30DFX

But yeah i heard schecters are good.. i cant seem to find many in stores where i am, especially in the AU$1K price range, any ideas? i really liked the RG420EX.. thought was damn sexy but if you got better advice im willing to take it.

No please. MG's are horrible.

Get a Peavey Classic 30 and a good overdrive pedal instead.
I was about to ask how the hell those cost more than my prestige guitar, but then i realized your in AUS Dollars I dont know the exchange rates or anything, but guitars to look at are...

ESP LTD MH-400 Series and up
Ibanez S470/320
Shecter Hellraiser/C-1 FR
Epiphone Prophecy Futura, if your into the Explorer Shape.

Im guessing those are around the same price, but im working in Canadian Dollars and converting in my head so i dont know.
i like the schecters.. and ibanez and maybe even esp.. but those models were all a few hundred too expensive.. wat else u got?
Would the ibanez RG420EX be like.. good in helping me to improve? since its around the $1,000AU mark.. and when i get it i will have been playing for a year.. you think its suitable? or something worse/better? any suggestions? i like schecters.. a few of them, but they seem to be too expensive.
since u have that much, get a good amp (peavey valveking or b-52 at112) and then use the rest on a decent guitar like a mid-range ESP or jackson

but its all preference and it also depends on what u play and ur use for this stuff
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Play mostly rock/hard rock/metal sort of stuff... Dont worry about amps.. im going to buy either a Fender FM25DSP, or a MARSHALL MG30DFX. They're both around the $400 mark.. but that's aside from the guitar.. the guitar will be just under the $1,000AU point. Not really a fan of jackson, and can't find any good esp's for my price range.. it's sort of down to ibanez and even this sort of schecter might be gr8.
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2584
The Fender and Marshall are terrible amps. Don't know about how much things cost down under, but I suggest looking into Roland Cubes.
The only roland cube in the same price range is a 20w for $355.. Whereas the marshall is 30w and the fender is 25. i got 15w amp atm so 20 is not nuff difference.
It's called tone there, buddy. The Marshall and Frontman are TERRIBLE amps in that they sound TERRIBLE, whereas the Roland Cube is actually pretty decent for low-end solid-state modelers, where if you maybe saved up for a tube amp and maybe an OD pedal, you would be better off.
^30 is not that big a difference compared to 15 either. Heck, jumping from 50 to 100 watts is <5 db increase. Go for tone that you like.

edit- too slow on ^

so... two ^'s
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jul 18, 2008,
^ Good point, unless TS were to jump from 15 watts SS to 30 watts tube, then there would be an obvious difference, but at this moment, it won't be that much of a difference in volume and in tone. The Roland Cube will sound better, but honestly, you should save up more for a tube amp.
Quote by braydz
couldn't find any good peaveys... wat about this for an amp

If it says "Peavey" on it then 9 times out of 10 its going to be a good amp!

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get the Marshall MG or the Fender Frontman... They both sound utterly terrible!!

I suggest a Peavey Valve King or a Peavey Classic 30 and a good OD pedal if you can find one.

Also look into Roland Cubes like someone else already suggested!
Quote by braydz
OK i wont get fender/marshall.. i guess i fell into the trap tht marshall are the best?

Its no trap. All-tube Marshalls are great amps! (Although I personally don't care for them). But they manufacture really overpriced, mediocre solid state amps (MG series) and know that people will buy them based on Marshall's name and reputation.

The Peavey TransTube series are decent amps for the price - I used to own an Envoy 110 and I'm still kicking myself for selling it!
Braydz, i could probobly give some better suggestions Knowing how much 1000 AUS Is If the ones i posted earlier are too expensive, then try...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684 Not sure if that is in the range (I couldnt tell if you ment the 1000 was to expensive, or the 400 too)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Tony-Iommi-Signature-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518555 Very well suited to rock and Metal, i myself would even love having that guitar
Just so you all know, when I looked for a classic 30 in Aus the cheapest i could find was $899.
To TS your better off buying second hand.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i found that ESP on a the store site i use... its $1,350AU. That should give you a good estimate of what im after if im going for something under/around the 1000 mark.
There was also this ESP LTD KH202 KIRK HAMMETT for $1,000AU. But im still preferring my original choice of the RG420EX over most of these.. it looks alot better, has some decent pickups.. etc.

what you guys think about this peavey? it's only $200AU
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=PVRAGE258

Plus if i had to get an overdrive effect this is only an extra $100AU..
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=DIDBM

By now i think you should know where im aiming at, should be fairly easy to compare it to your price range wherever you're at.
OK so my friend said to get this a Roland cube 20x for $355(20watts) over a marshall MG30DFX for $399(30 watts) and over a peavey RAGE 258 for $200(25watts).. thought idea's? im gonna break down what amp to get.. then move onto guitar.
No, get THIS Roland.

http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=ROCUBE30X

It's better than the 20X, the 20X might be cheaper but there's no point spending less money for something you're going to want to get rid of. Also, stop worrying about watts, they're not important.

The Cube 30 is better because it has some nice onboard effects and better amp modelling so you've got more variety and it also sounds better than all the other amps you've mentioned so far.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's $500 though.. hmm.. i suppose if i save up just a little bit extra i could get it.. but is it like.. significantly better then all the others (the marshall/peavey/roland 20x)? bcoz if its only like abit better theres no point in me forkin out for it.
TS,I keep seeing you comparing wattage.Listen man,its not about how loud it is,and wattage doesnt have a huge effect anyway.And if your a begginer,trust me your family members are NOT going to want you blowing there ears out playing smoke on the water.Trust me,i usedta do it.You dont need a huge amp,and come here before you buy anything,or you might get something youl find to be a piece of ****.Try the stuff out b4 you buy as well.
meh
Quote by braydz
There was also this ESP LTD KH202 KIRK HAMMETT for $1,000AU. But im still preferring my original choice of the RG420EX over most of these.. it looks alot better, has some decent pickups.. etc.

The pick-ups aren't very good on the RG420EX, and the Edge III is not that good, not bad, but you could get better.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
i actually suggest you get a roland cube 20x. i dont think you need to spend extra money to get a 30x(which only is a little more louder and has some more amp models.), i got the 20x and its great.
man i just thought.. i really like the schecter model... and it is like $250 cheaper then the ibanez, and the only reason im leaning towards the ibanez is because of the pickups... so i was thinking i could just buy some new pickups and replace them on the schecter? would that work? what ones you recommend for that shecter? id have like.. say $250 or so to spend on pickups so yeah.. i play mostly rock/heavy rock/metal so yeah.
Quote by braydz
man i just thought.. i really like the schecter model... and it is like $250 cheaper then the ibanez, and the only reason im leaning towards the ibanez is because of the pickups... so i was thinking i could just buy some new pickups and replace them on the schecter? would that work? what ones you recommend for that shecter? id have like.. say $250 or so to spend on pickups so yeah.. i play mostly rock/heavy rock/metal so yeah.

Forget pickups, it's not something you need to be worrying about yet and certainly not something worth wasting your money on at the moment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, get THIS Roland.

http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=ROCUBE30X

It's better than the 20X, the 20X might be cheaper but there's no point spending less money for something you're going to want to get rid of. Also, stop worrying about watts, they're not important.

The Cube 30 is better because it has some nice onboard effects and better amp modelling so you've got more variety and it also sounds better than all the other amps you've mentioned so far.

agreed.

also, don't get a cheaper rg with an edge III trem, they aren't very good. get an s320/470 instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 5