Poll: Have pharmaceutical companies conspired to keep some of their findings a secret?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have pharmaceutical companies conspired to keep some of their findings a secret?
Yes
27 69%
No
12 31%
Voters: 39.
Billions of dollars are poured into pharmaceutical research, and although they're making headway in discovering ways of delaying the harmful effects of diseases like Alzheimer's disease, lethal illnesses like cancer are still killing people by the millions. Today, there seems to be more medical research going on than ever before; however, the results of all this spending often seem futile... Or are they?

Do you believe in pharmaceutical conspiracies? Plenty of skeptics point to the idea that the pharmaceutical industry has more to gain by making diseases chronic conditions rather than curing them. But then again, plenty of people believe in ghosts and aliens too.

So
Do you think that pharmaceutical companies have conspired to keep some of their findings a secret? Do profits trump all, or is the pharmaceutical industry sincerely invested in helping people?

EDIT: I saw this discussion elsewhere and I was wondering what UG thought.
Poll up in a second.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by ShaunDiel
Do you mean like a cure for AIDS, then keeping it secret to profit from it?

Ya exactly, or even down to making new diseases and then making cures for them.

I reckon if they had a cure for something like the common cold they'd keep it secret as they'd never be allowed to patent it.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I dont know how this could really be kept quiet.....there are so many people working in the industry....and unlike the government doccuments cannot be classified with penalties. I think that someone would have the morality to release this information if it were infact true
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Well there are certainly people that keep certain findings from medical studies secret. Many studies have shown that cannabis has many positive effects yet the findings are buried. It's a known fact that Bush Senior and Reagan tried to hide the results from such studies. I wouldn't put it past pharmaceutical companies to do the same thing.
No, why assume things with no evidence? That's just wrong to accuse people who help us of these things without reason.
I believe that the pharmaceutical companies are drip feeding the market......

You have to look at it from their point of view to get the full picture. Pharmaceutical companies are exactly that, companies, not samaritans. At the end of their working day they don't answer to god, or some divine power they answer to their superior and keeps on travelling up and up until it reaches the shareholder. And beyond all, the shareholder is interested in one thing, money. They have pumped money into the company and expecting to reap rewards. Now im sure that all the shareholders would be happy if the firm they invested in cured a disease like say cancer. But by cuyring the disease it will become trivialised to the point where eventually young children will be vaccinated fotr cancer like the MMR or TB. Now while this would make for a better world to live in. The company has lost the lucrative market of drug and chemotherapy for cancer patients, and with that huge amounts of money. Companies are run on money not goodwill.

All that said, i dont believe that these companies are hiding the cure up their sleeves or anything, i do however believe that they are very close to coming to a cure but are researching alternate methods so as to keep the market open.......
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
I dont know how this could really be kept quiet.....there are so many people working in the industry....and unlike the government doccuments cannot be classified with penalties. I think that someone would have the morality to release this information if it were infact true

Perhaps just not looking for a cure for cancer then.
Instead they may look for long drawn out treatments that require more money.

I'm just speculating obviously.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by ShaunDiel
Do you mean like a cure for AIDS, then keeping it secret to profit from it?

You want an AIDS controversy? How bout the idea that there is no such thing as an AIDS virus, and that the pharmacutical companies and the government conspired to make the whole thing up.

Now that is a controversial opinion that is actually shared by many, many people.

If you want to read about it, then

A World Without AIDS

by Steven Ransom and Phillip Day

is the book to read.

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way saying that this is actually true. It is merely an interesting book on an interesting theory. I am in no way qualified to state if what is said in the book is true or not.
Last edited by saphrax at Jul 17, 2008,
Hmm never really crossed my mind, they sure could make a lot more money by constantly treating an dieseas like cancer the rest of your life instead of just curing it. But then again the could just jack the price of curing cancer to some staggering ammount. Plus there would deffinatly be leaks from the inside and stuff theres no way in hell you could keep a secret like that from the public
I'd assume they do keep it from the public, if they had cures for most of everything then a multibillion dollar money making company will plummet to its own demise.
Quote by saphrax
You want an AIDS controversy? How bout the idea that there is no such thing as an AIDS virus, and that the pharmacutical companies and the government conspired to make the whole thing up.

Now that is a controversial opinion that is actually shared by many, many people.

That there is no such thing as AIDS? Millions of people have died from it, how does the government pull that off?
Quote by ShaunDiel
That their is no such thing as ADIS? Millions of people have died from it, how does the government pull that off?

Actually, millions of people are said to have died from diseases related to AIDS. And unless you performed the PMs, how are you going to know that it's true?
Quote by MightyAl
Actually, millions of people are said to have died from diseases related to AIDS. And unless you performed the PMs, how are you going to know that it's true?

My cousin had it? Magic Johnson had it? Millions of people in Africa have it?
EDIT: Magic Johnson just has HIV or something isn't it?
Quote by ShaunDiel
My cousin had it? Magic Johnson had it? Millions of people in Africa have it?
EDIT: Magic Johnson just has HIV or something isn't it?

How do you know your cousin isn't in on the conspiracy? Did you perform any of the tests that confirmed this diagnosis? Have you met any Africans who have it?
And HIV causes AIDS. Google would explain, if only you asked.
Quote by MightyAl
How do you know your cousin isn't in on the conspiracy? Did you perform any of the tests that confirmed this diagnosis? Have you met any Africans who have it?

This is getting ridiculous.
Quote by fob12
This is getting ridiculous.

It's a thread about conspiracy theories.
I'm just surprised there hasn't been a pic of a cat in a tinfoil hat yet.
Quote by ShaunDiel
That their is no such thing as ADIS? Millions of people have died from it, how does the government pull that off?

Basically, the book puts it like this.

AIDS = Acquired Immuno Deficancy Syndrome

Many things can affect your immune system:
  • Poor diet
  • Drug use
  • Extreme sexual actions

etc...

Anyway, the book claims that the government saw all these different types of people with different symptoms, but all had a low white blood cell count. The theory was that they all must have a virus in common. This was at a time where many gay people were dying from AIDS(sic).
The government pushed the research, until one guy claimed to have found the virus (although later he was arrested for fraud on that one). Still though, they claimed they isolated the virus, and then came up with a "cure" .

Then, to make things interesting, the book claims that the cure is actually the cause of modern day AIDS (long and complicated - but it relates to the way AIDS is detected and the lack of international standards for this).

It's certainly an interesting and thought provoking book, which does make it seem plausable, but as I said, I'm not qualified to comment.

Edit: I'm off home now, might catch up later.
Quote by MightyAl

I don't mind you talking about my cousin, I'm not going to flip out or anything, and no, I haven't performed/read the autopsy report , But I'm almost positive he wasn't in on the "Conspiracy". I also know HIV causes AIDS, but you can have HIV without all-out AIDS, Just because you have HIV doesn't mean you have AIDS (yet). This argument could really go on forever, it actually kind of deserves it's own thread, because I actually start to hear where you're coming from, so I'm done talking about AIDS being fake, if this starts up again elsewhere I'll see you there
We live in a Prozac Nation...You only have to go into the doctors with Flu and your deemed a suicidal megalomaniac and given anti-depressants...

I Kid...

But seriously, i do believe that the cure for cancer could have been cured years ago...But heres something..
Have any Prime Ministers or Presidents ever died of cancer during their terms?

I'm thinkin about that one...
Personally i bet the have found the cure for alot of diseases but they just didn't want to give it out for some crazy reason.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
Personally i bet the have found the cure for alot of diseases but they just didn't want to give it out for some crazy reason.

Congratulations! You've solved the conspiracy!
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

First thing's first, pharmaceutical companies only research things they can make a profit off.

Cancer is almost exclusively researched by charitable bodies and academia funded by charitable bodies, such as Cancer Research UK. There is no such thing as a universal cure for cancer because every one is different, cancer is caused by oncogenes (genes that cause cancer when mutated) and the oncogenes active in every cancer are slightly different. Plenty of cancer therapies are out there, and therapies are the best we're ever going to get because the very nature of cancer makes it highly mutable giving it high probability of mutating so the therapy no longer works.

Same deal with HIV except it's a retrovirus, THE most mutable thing on the planet. There will never be a cure, only therapies which may or may not eradicate the virus before it has a chance to adapt. The fact that HIV is a retrovirus that lives in the human genome means we'd need to be able to cut the viral DNA out of our own DNA some how for anything close to a cure, and that is a long long long way off.

I hope that disuades some of you from silly ideas about HIV and cancer cures.
Quote by freedoms_stain
First thing's first, pharmaceutical companies only research things they can make a profit off.

Cancer is almost exclusively researched by charitable bodies and academia funded by charitable bodies, such as Cancer Research UK. There is no such thing as a universal cure for cancer because every one is different, cancer is caused by oncogenes (genes that cause cancer when mutated) and the oncogenes active in every cancer are slightly different. Plenty of cancer therapies are out there, and therapies are the best we're ever going to get because the very nature of cancer makes it highly mutable giving it high probability of mutating so the therapy no longer works.

Same deal with HIV except it's a retrovirus, THE most mutable thing on the planet. There will never be a cure, only therapies which may or may not eradicate the virus before it has a chance to adapt. The fact that HIV is a retrovirus that lives in the human genome means we'd need to be able to cut the viral DNA out of our own DNA some how for anything close to a cure, and that is a long long long way off.

I hope that disuades some of you from silly ideas about HIV and cancer cures.

That's what they want you to think
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
i think antidepressants may have a little conspiracy to them ;-)

mainly because the companies (when maybe prozac came out?) splurged all over the news that depression/anxiety was proven to be 100% biologcial, and the best way to treat it is through medication. Well, the evidence was not there, so they were making a hefty claim off of little evidence. And also many anti-depressants (when they were first introduced, maybe the 60's?) were put on the market without testing for the side-effects and they were instnaly required for all nursing homes, psych wards, crazy houses, etc..., and many prescirptions were given away with little testing and little evidence. Seems like someone wants a lot of money....

oh and i read in Newsweek not too long ago that the american heart association wants everyone to buy n an in-home blood pressure reader (it would cost about 100$). Some say it is a conspiracy because the people funding the AHA website are the ones who build and manufacture these blood pressure monitors (they give maybe 300k a year to keep the site running?). You be the decider
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Yes every important medical finding is kept secret and pretty soon we'll all end up like Raccoon City
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

^We'll each suffer a zombie infestation and will get nuked?

Well I don't think they've secretly cured cancer but aren't telling anybody, but they do hide the outcomes of unfavourable trials. I voted 'no' on the grounds that that isn't a conspiracy but a fairly well-known fact.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
^We'll each suffer a zombie infestation and will get nuked?

It'll be more along the lines of Will Smith saving us with his blood.