Poll: which?
Poll Options
View poll results: which?
material is integral to happiness.
9 10%
you can be very happy without possessions.
25 29%
a bit of both.
30 35%
goths eat bread?
22 26%
Voters: 86.
Page 1 of 3
...is what I thought to myself as I found myself in front of the checkout in my local spar, holding a loaf of warburtons medium sliced white bread in one arm, and clutching my wallet to my chest with the other.

£1.50 for a loaf of bread!? You might aswell just climb onto the counter and wank in my face, you robbing bastards! I remember the days when bread was 90 penga a shot!

But then I thought wait a second- it's only money, isn't it. I can't eat a pound coin, and if I tried to, it's not going to fill me up nearly as much as two thirds of a load of bread. Which brought me back to the good old subject of us lot concentrating too much on material to actually enjoy our lives, and I felt a bit disgusted at myself for being so outraged at the shop assistant.

You can watch the news, question time, you can read the newspapers, and you will see people arguing about taxes, about the price of petrol, and about every possible facet of the economy. How people get so passionate and upset about these completely insignifant things I can't understand, and it's sad that some people have sunk so far into materialism that they have no chance of getting back again.

Anyway, at this point, I realised that I had caused a huge queue to form behind me, and the woman at the checkout was giving me a look of extreme annoyance.

So what do you believe?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Outrage.

20p for a bag of crisps?
Too expensive!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I buy a loaf of bread for about that much as well. It doesn't really bother me - inflation has gone up 11%. It will break down.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

That's crazy! You can get the cheap tiger loaves at Tesco for about 50p at the end of the day!
Warburtons Medium ftw.
Mars bars in my shop cost 60p.

60p!
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
The price of flour has gone up significantly in the past little while... Which is why a lot of food products are now more expensive.
Who invented sliced bread anyways?
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I didn't plan this to be a bread discussion.

I'm talking about idealism.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I agree. That is exactly why a loaf of bread should not cost one pound fifty pence when it costs far less than that to make.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
To be honest, I'd be extremely annoyed as well by you bitching to me about bread prices if I was the shop assistant.

Food's getting more and more expensive, that's no news.

EDIT: Flying past the point again

I personally believe anyone here wouldn't be happy living an ascetic life.
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Jul 17, 2008,
i think its a mix. having things will make you happy, but there are plenty of good points to not having a lot of stuff.

but bread here is like $1.00-$1.50 for a loaf of white bread. thats usually the store brand. if you get one of the other brands it is probably over $2.00.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I didn't plan this to be a bread discussion.

I'm talking about idealism.

Never mind that, bread is the fucking balls!
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by Harmonius
I buy a loaf of bread for about that much as well. It doesn't really bother me - inflation has gone up 11%. It will break down.

i think its 8.6%
HAVE A NICE DAY!
I was in the queue today at the Spar, and some weirdo in front of me was mumbling to himself about the person behind the till wanking on him...so i put my double decker bar back on the shelf and left
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Stop complaining in Australia we have to pay $4.50 which is about 2 pounds it is considerably good to be honest.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Everyone should live in France. Bread is like 30 cents a loaf.

Scrap that, I should live in France.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Inflation happens. I just want to live. My goal in life is to make enough to live, and still be able to do what I enjoy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by KISSguitarist
Stop complaining in Australia we have to pay $4.50 which is about 2 pounds it is considerably good to be honest.

I'm not complaining!

I'm saying that it doesn't matter, it's irrelevant.

But so far, absolutely noone here has the basic intelligence to work out what I'm trying to say.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Yeah this world is extremely materialistic, but sometimes prices are outraging, for example petrol. Petrol is something that you should be concerned about the price of, because in the end petrol isn't an end like many products, it's a means to an end, if petrol prices increase you don't get to go to as many places, visit as many people etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while this world has become to materialistic, materialism is only worthless when it comes to products that are and end in themselves, not something which is a means to an end.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm not complaining!

But so far, absolutely noone here has the basic intelligence to work out what I'm trying to say.

No, I agree completely. Maybe more so with the guy above me.
Quote by blynd_snyper
Yeah this world is extremely materialistic, but sometimes prices are outraging, for example petrol. Petrol is something that you should be concerned about the price of, because in the end petrol isn't an end like many products, it's a means to an end, if petrol prices increase you don't get to go to as many places, visit as many people etc.

Thankyou.

I don't agree though- petrol is obviously something that is necessary in todays society, but the only reason it is now in demand is because of capitalism and consumerism.

Someone invented cars, then people's families and friends started to spread over a wider area, and now petrol is necessary to keep those relationships.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Well, materialism has pretty much taken over the world. It is rampant and all pervasing. Everywhere you turn you are forced to bend over and take the two iron-rod rules of materialism up the ass.

CONSUME!
PRODUCE!

Anything less than that and you are a worthless piece of parasitical **** that is just absorbing all of the resources of whatever society you happen to be in. In part, I agree with you TS on how sad it is that today's materialism has people so riled up over things, that in the long run, just don't matter. But on the other hand, the lessons your society teaches you are hard to escape. Things like the economy, the price of bread, gas, matter because your society hammers their importance into your head. They also matter to people because if the economy goes to **** and the price of bread and gas, etc. go through the roof, life can get really nasty for some people.

All in all . . . I don't think they are that important. It makes me sad to see how materialistic societies around the world have become. The truly important things lose relevancy and are replaced with material goods. Nothing good can come from that.
That's a nice way to think about it, John. I've been very cautious at spending money at the moment but I might as well go for it... I get some money in a few months anyway.

If this goes wrong, I'll blame it on you.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm not complaining!

Why make a big deal of it? Materialism has been an unfortunate part of human culture for a very long time, and it's not worth anyone's time to get wordy about it. Time and life are what's precious, so stop wasting it whining.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by rabidguitarist
Thankyou.

I don't agree though- petrol is obviously something that is necessary in todays society, but the only reason it is now in demand is because of capitalism and consumerism.

Someone invented cars, then people's families and friends started to spread over a wider area, and now petrol is necessary to keep those relationships.

Yeah, I guess in the end it is all our fault. I'm still more worried about the price of petrol than I am about the price of, say, alcohol. If I want a nice bottle of whisky I'm going to pay what they want, because the memories of chilling with friends and enjoying a nice drink is something that you simply can't put a price on. However if I can't afford the petrol to go and see these friends then I'm going to be rather annoyed.

EDIT:
Quote by fortysix&2
Why make a big deal of it? Materialism has been an unfortunate part of human culture for a very long time, and it's not worth anyone's time to get wordy about it. Time and life are what's precious, so stop wasting it whining.

He's not bloody whining, he's just trying to open up an intelligent discussion about materialism, it's just unfortunate that the average pitmonkey can't be screwed to use more than 2 of their braincells to join in this discussion and instead they go 'uhhh. . .TS plz cry moar!' get back to you laugh you lose.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by fortysix&2

Noone ever made a change by keeping their beliefs to themselves.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
Noone ever made a change by keeping their beliefs to themselves.

EDIT: **** me, I'm just being moody. I love you all anyway. I wish we could all get along, truth be told!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I, personally, do not have the kind of discipline that is required to live without "extra" material possessions, i.e. food, shelter.

But I do agree, and I try not to be concerned with things out of my control.
Quote by the agony scene
i personally prefer hovis white now theres a bread for all occasions

Even funerals?

I do care slightly for material goods. Due to the fact that my £200 a week goes in my wallet Friday and is gone by Tuesday due to: Running my car (Insurance, fuel, tax), paying my phone contract, rent, food bills and social money.

Sure, prices are getting higher, but thank fuck we don't live in the 70's when it was almost like £2 a loaf and the economy was just like todays, but 10 times worst....Though fuel back then was like 30p a litre...
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']To be honest, I'd be extremely annoyed as well by you bitching to me about bread prices if I was the shop assistant.

Food's getting more and more expensive, that's no news.
As much as John has hit the nail on the head, I do also get annoyed at people bitching about the price of food, but, I go look at what they buy and they don't need a third of it. They don't need that coca-cola, they don't need that chocolate, they don't need those yogurts, they don't need those weight watchers ice creams.

People need to think on that before they bitch at me.
Can I complain too? I remember being able to get a Mars bar and a can of coke, and expect change from 50p.
Bah, kids these days... *old man rambling*

I don't really see a problem with materialism. If you want shiny stuff, fine. If you don't, well, that's up to you, even though I think you're wrong.
Quote by Craigo
As much as John has hit the nail on the head, I do also get annoyed at people bitching about the price of food, but, I go look at what they buy and they don't need a third of it. They don't need that coca-cola, they don't need that chocolate, they don't need those yogurts, they don't need those weight watchers ice creams.

People need to think on that before they bitch at me.

Hear hear
Quote by DanRev
Recessions awaiting.

Dude, recessions pretty much already here. The Government just doesn't want to admit it. Instead they are calling it "The Credit Crunch". It's going to get a lot worse.
Quote by MightyAl
I don't really see a problem with materialism. If you want shiny stuff, fine. If you don't, well, that's up to you, even though I think you're wrong.

"I don't like shiny stuff."
"You're wrong!"

This makes no sense to me
Page 1 of 3