The way the the government is taxing people crossing the border back into the US if they find barrels of gasoline or deisel fuel because it's cheaper in mexico?
lol wut?

Maybe it is ridiculous though, so I kinda agree.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It's the law. It's been that way for an extremely long time. They do that to protect American businesses. For example, if you go to Europe and you buy a European sports car while you're there for only 60% of what the price would be in America, that hurts the American economy. The solution? Make you pay here what you didn't pay over there so that the money gets put into OUR economy. It makes sense, if you ask me. It sucks, but it's better for everyone in the scheme of things.
Quote by madbasslover
It's the law. It's been that way for an extremely long time. They do that to protect American businesses. For example, if you go to Europe and you buy a European scorts car while you're there for only 60% of what the price would be in America, that hurts the American economy. The solution? Make you pay here what you didn't pay over there so that the money gets put into OUR economy. It makes sense, if you ask me. It sucks, but it's better for everyone in the scheme of things.

Man, Americans are so greedy and selfish. (jk - just).
Go EU - free movement between countries (well, not really)!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by madbasslover
It's the law. It's been that way for an extremely long time. They do that to protect American businesses. For example, if you go to Europe and you buy a European sports car while you're there for only 60% of what the price would be in America, that hurts the American economy. The solution? Make you pay here what you didn't pay over there so that the money gets put into OUR economy. It makes sense, if you ask me. It sucks, but it's better for everyone in the scheme of things.

It may be the law, but it does suck and it is ridiculous.
Quote by madbasslover
Well said.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by madbasslover

How the hell is it better for everyone 'in the scheme of things?' Our economy is so ****ed up anyway that bull**** taxes like this aren't going to make anyones lives better. The majority of taxes is wasted by our retard government anyway. If I go to China and buy an mp3 player because mine broke on the airplane ride there, should I be taxed because it was cheaper in China? No.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
How the hell is it better for everyone 'in the scheme of things?' Our economy is so ****ed up anyway that bull**** taxes like this aren't going to make anyones lives better. The majority of taxes is wasted by our retard government anyway. If I go to China and buy an mp3 player because mine broke on the airplane ride there, should I be taxed because it was cheaper in China? No.

It's the same with perscription drugs.
Go buy it there for cheaper are they gonna start taxing for that too???
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

Are you serious? As fragile as our economy is right now, how do you think it will help it if money is taken OUT of it because people are going to other countries to buy things? What you're saying is that because the economy is weak, we should weaken it further by putting our money into OTHER economies than our own.

Well while we're at it, why don't we start feeding sick people arsenic?
Yea that's not really ridiculous at all. I mean gas prices are pretty ridiculous so I would be trying to find ways around it too, but fair is fair

EDIT: Just read Megadeth's post. Try not to force your ignorant and close-minded views on the rest of us
I think it sucks, the oil companies make huge profits and the US just lets it happen
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Cheap Acoustic
Marshall MG10
Peavy TNT130

Quote by guitartaber93
It may be the law, but it does suck and it is ridiculous.

It does suck. But it's not ridiculous. Allow me to demonstrate with an example:

Our economy is weak, everyone knows that. Let's say there's a pretty big car dealership that sells a lot of European imports. People start going over to Europe to get these cars because they're much cheaper over there than they are here. The government does not tax them for the cars when they return, so they have these nice, cheap European cars. The big dealership loses all that money and eventually it can't hold itself up anymore. It closes. Now all of those people working there are out of a job, and until they get another one, they have no money to put into other businesses. Job hunting is no easy task, so let's say it takes all of the dealership employees a month, maybe a month and a half, to find new jobs. That's no money made in 4 to 6 weeks. That's no money put into other businesses for 4 to 6 weeks. Such a massive profit loss could force businesses to close their doors or raise their prices in order to stay afloat. If they raise their prices, they get less shoppers, which means they have less money to work with. They have to do layoffs or wage cuts. Less workers in the force, less people making money. If they close their doors entirely, the cycle repeats. You may think I'm being overly dramatic, but I'm not. This is REALLY what happens. It's a domino effect.
They don't tax you if you just go fill up your tank. It's simply taxed if you stockpile it. Import taxes work like that with almost every country.

It's how economies work.
It does help stimulate the economy, but with the raising prices of gas, I can see why people would want to do that.
Quote by madbasslover
It does suck. But it's not ridiculous. Allow me to demonstrate with an example:

Our economy is weak, everyone knows that. Let's say there's a pretty big car dealership that sells a lot of European imports. People start going over to Europe to get these cars because they're much cheaper over there than they are here. The government does not tax them for the cars when they return, so they have these nice, cheap European cars. The big dealership loses all that money and eventually it can't hold itself up anymore. It closes. Now all of those people working there are out of a job, and until they get another one, they have no money to put into other businesses. Job hunting is no easy task, so let's say it takes all of the dealership employees a month, maybe a month and a half, to find new jobs. That's no money made in 4 to 6 weeks. That's no money put into other businesses for 4 to 6 weeks. Such a massive profit loss could force businesses to close their doors or raise their prices in order to stay afloat. If they raise their prices, they get less shoppers, which means they have less money to work with. They have to do layoffs or wage cuts. Less workers in the force, less people making money. If they close their doors entirely, the cycle repeats. You may think I'm being overly dramatic, but I'm not. This is REALLY what happens. It's a domino effect.

You know what???
You're right, but...

currency just sucks in general.
Quote by TheCD
They don't tax you if you just go fill up your tank. It's simply taxed if you stockpile it. Import taxes work like that with almost every country.

It's how economies work.

Yeah, i was thinking that if you had quads and stuff just fill those up and then cyphon them into your car???
eh???
it's import tax, you get it between lots of countries (hence the 'nothing to declare' queue at airports)
e.g. if i were to visit the states there would be a limit on how much i could buy to bring back before i have to get taxed. i think it is either $145 or £145, something like that; i can't remember exactly.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm