Hey everyone. I just purchased a used peavey valveking half stack (vk100 with peavey 4x12 cabinet. I've been playing/writing for a while but this is my first time having a band and I quickly found out that my old peavey transtube (believe its 25 watts) wasn't cutting it LOL I love the valveking, most importantly it will have the volume I need. My friend has a vox valvetronix and it has tons of effects that make it great but I figure I can always use pedals if I want phasers, chorus, fuzz ect... so it's no biggy. Probably easier to fine tune the sounds with pedals anyway. I really wanted the volume of a half stack in the anticipation of playing gigs at noisy bars or whatever.

Anyway, on to my question. Not really a big one, probably a stupid one but I just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong. What's the proper way to turn it on? LOL! I would figure that I could just keep the amp standby in the "on" position and turn it on, let it warm up a few seconds then play but in the owners manual under the standby switch description it says something about "turning the standby switch on for a minimum of 1 minute after engaging the power switch". Are they saying I have to leave it in standby when I turn the amp on, wait a minute and then turn the standby to "on"? I just want to get as long as possible from the tubes (I paid 570 for this amp with 40 hours on it, thats the most I have ever paid for an amp...really can't afford to spend another 200 or whatever replacing tubes right away).

Also, anyone notice that the volume boost doesn't really do anything? I was messing with it last night and I had the volume on VERY low and I didn't notice any difference when hitting the volume boost. Maybe it gets more pronounced at higher volume levels? Any trick to this? Thanks!
Last edited by nocturnal396 at Jul 17, 2008,
Step 1. Turn amp power switch to on. (Note - Standby should be in "standby" position).
Step 2. Wait 30 seconds ish.
Step 3. Turn standby switch to "on" position.
Step 4. Rock out.
Step 5. Turn standby switch to "standby" position.
Step 6. Turn power switch to "off" position.
Quote by gregs1020
Step 1. Turn amp power switch to on. (Note - Standby should be in "standby" position).
Step 2. Wait 30 seconds ish.
Step 3. Turn standby switch to "on" position.
Step 4. Rock out.
Step 5. Turn standby switch to "standby" position.
Step 6. Turn power switch to "off" position.

winner!
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I knew I was forgetting a step................

In terms of volume boost,crank pre-amp volume up, lower the poweramp volume.
search bar...really

or some one needs to make a stick: How to turn one's amp on/off
but there could be problems as not all amps are the same...
generally you want to turn the power on, and keep the stand by off, you should be getting no sound. Then after about 30 sec's to a minute, turn the standby on. Turn guitar volume knob up. Play. Reverse steps on turning it off.