I am looking to revamp my Fender Squier Strat: New pickups (keeping them single coils, not humbuckers); maybe new tuning heads; rewire it with better pots and electronics and whatever else may be necessary.

My question is, what pickups (single coils like I mentioned), tuning heads, pots etc should I purchase?
My budget is on an average limit, nothing too drastic of course but I am willing to work with it a little, if needs be.
Also, should I alter anything else on the guitar? I will be doing this myself with the help of a professional; watch and learn kind of method. Are they any other parts you reconmend I replace?

I am not looking for a guitar as good as American Strat, but just something that sounds and plays decent that doesn't cut out at the slightest motion or disturbance and doesn't cost the world; A guitar that I can smash around, but also something that will retain a crisp sound and won't feedback at the first sign of volume and distortion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
For your pups, have a look at Lace Sensors. Fender uses them in some of thier strats (I think). SD have some nice single coils, but they'll cost £75 each. But, I'm piss poor on wiring, so I can't help there.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Change the tuners, nut, electronics, pickups, and if you want some stuff to the appearance, for example repaint the body or use a different color pickguard, etc.
Locking tuners will cost you $60-$90, probably, a new nut around $5 or so, the whole electronics will cost you about $20-$30, pickups used a lot are Lace Sensors which are generally $60-70 each, and some physical stuff like a new pickguard or something shouldn't be much more than $30.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
new nut? new bridge? the wiring and new pots will be a nice help, but write out a list of how much everything is gonna cost and ask yourself if saving a bit more and maybe getting a MIM strat instead of dumping money into this squire. my roommate just picked one up with a few knicks from a belt buckle on the back for $180 and it sounds and plays pretty damn well. and new ones go for under $400 most the time unless they are something unique. so the amount your gonna invest + the resale value of your current guitar might buy you a MIM strat or equivalent.
im gonna say either lace sensors or dimarzio true velvets. new tuners are a must.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by chris024
new nut? new bridge? the wiring and new pots will be a nice help, but write out a list of how much everything is gonna cost and ask yourself if saving a bit more and maybe getting a MIM strat instead of dumping money into this squire. my roommate just picked one up with a few knicks from a belt buckle on the back for $180 and it sounds and plays pretty damn well. and new ones go for under $400 most the time unless they are something unique. so the amount your gonna invest + the resale value of your current guitar might buy you a MIM strat or equivalent.

They cost a bit more the MIM Strats over here in Europe, which is why I was a little anxious to purchase one. So maybe I should look into it? Why would I need a new bridge? Does that affect the tuning stability by that much, because that is something I really need to correct?
Thats a nice suggestion, compiling a list and weighing out the pros and cons.
Squier more expensive than Fender? thats just wrong man...

EDIT: read post wrong...sorry
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jul 17, 2008,
remember to look at used ones, because its like a car, once it goes out the store, it loses some of its value. but i didnt even think about the MIMs being more across the pond, since its a stones throw from here.
If you dont use the wammy on a squire the original bridge doesnt make the tuning go out. I have the original in mine and it stays in tune. If you want to keep it at a reasonable budget, got some tuners they dont need to be locking, a new nut, and shielding. The pickups in squires arent great not like what you get in a MIA fender, but they work decent enough for most uses.
Quote by Tackleberry
If you dont use the wammy on a squire the original bridge doesnt make the tuning go out. I have the original in mine and it stays in tune. If you want to keep it at a reasonable budget, got some tuners they dont need to be locking, a new nut, and shielding. The pickups in squires arent great not like what you get in a MIA fender, but they work decent enough for most uses.

Well I doubt I'll be using the bridge as a whammy bar system - I already own a Maverick F-1 that has a Floyd Rose on it - So, I may decide to change the bridge in the future, but for now, I just want the most important things: Pickups, they are terrible in my eyes, everytime I play it, I just here this screach thats horrible; Tuning heads; (don't have to be locking right now at this point in time) and finally new wiring with new pots. I threw the guitar around once and every time I even touch the volume pot or fiddle with the pickup selector, it shorts out briefly and I am forced to counter it by wiggling it some more until it reconnects. That is the main problem I wish to fix, for obvious reasons!
I've done exactly what you are looking to do, and my Squier plays beautifully now, and tuning stability is great. I actually play the Strat as much as I play my MIA tele.

For tuners, I went for Sperzel locking ones - not the cheapest over here, but the are worth every penny, and while I was doing that, I put a graphtec nut on as well. For pickups, I ended up using Kent Armstrong Specials - I love the tone of all of them, and I'd certainly buy them again, again they aren't the cheapest - you can get some decent pickups for not a lot of money from somewhere like axesrus, as you are this side of the Atlantic.

My dog used to look at my amp in a really alarmed manner whenever I played with the stock pickups in my strat! He doesn't do that any more since I changed the pickups.

For electrics, I always use CTS pots and Oak USA switches - same as you get if you buy Fender branded parts.
Quote by mark_wuk
I've done exactly what you are looking to do, and my Squier plays beautifully now, and tuning stability is great. I actually play the Strat as much as I play my MIA tele.

For tuners, I went for Sperzel locking ones - not the cheapest over here, but the are worth every penny, and while I was doing that, I put a graphtec nut on as well. For pickups, I ended up using Kent Armstrong Specials - I love the tone of all of them, and I'd certainly buy them again, again they aren't the cheapest - you can get some decent pickups for not a lot of money from somewhere like axesrus, as you are this side of the Atlantic.

My dog used to look at my amp in a really alarmed manner whenever I played with the stock pickups in my strat! He doesn't do that any more since I changed the pickups.

For electrics, I always use CTS pots and Oak USA switches - same as you get if you buy Fender branded parts.

Ah, cheers mate, thats just the comment I was looking for. Everyone has been surprisingly helpful so far.
How much did everything cost you, not including actually buying the guitar first hand?
Could you possibly give me a link to a shop that I can buy everything from or did you just spend a few hours looking around for different deals in different shops on the internet and in local shops?
For upgrading on the cheap, electronics upgrade, shielding, and nut replacement will definitely give you the biggest Bang for the $$$.

What's amazing is that you can snag Fender-branded pots and switches really cheap on eBay, if you're patient and snipe at the last few seconds. Bone or other man-made stuff (not plastic) are also pretty inexpensive. Most tuners on even the inexpensive guitars are reliable enough not to suffer backlash, as long as you re-string properly (below).

(Invalid img)

For purely cosmetic upgrades, PGs and knobs are quite inexpensive, too.

The best thing you can do for your guitar is a pro set-up. Since you'll be collaborating with a pro, that just improved the success of your project 100%.

Good Luck!

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Ah, cheers mate, thats just the comment I was looking for. Everyone has been surprisingly helpful so far.
How much did everything cost you, not including actually buying the guitar first hand?
Could you possibly give me a link to a shop that I can buy everything from or did you just spend a few hours looking around for different deals in different shops on the internet and in local shops?

www.axesrus.co.uk I'd recommend them - they sell probably everything you need - they've never let me down yet! They also have some really good cheap pickups - I've not bought strat ones, but I've had some amazing pups for very little money from them.

Pickups are really subjective, so buy what YOU like - or you could speak to corduroyew on here - he makes pickups - he's very knowledgable and he gives 10% discount to UG members - I'm in the process of deciding on a tele bridge pickup from him at the moment.

Although Ippon makes a really good point about stringing the guitar properly, I'm not overly impressed with the squier stock tuners in particular - I'd upgrade them on a Strat - maybe not on a fixed bridge.

Edit - sorry - missed the cost bit:

All the bits for a rewire can be bought < £30 using top quality bits - I've got loads of bits here, from trying various wiring mods, so I haven't actually bought any for a while - it's not massively expensive. Pickups will depend on what you go for, SD's will probably cost you £120 a set over here. Sperzel tuners, I've just ordered a set from the US on ebay for £35 - hopefully I won't get stung for duty - I bought a new neck from the same place, and that got through without customs interfering.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 19, 2008,
I hate to be asking so much but I don't really entirely know what I'm looking for on the site you mentioned. It looks perfect for all my needs, but I am unsure what particular parts will be best. I know you mentioned Sperzel tuners are probably my best choice, along with Lace Sensor pickups. I did found a set of Silver and Red Lace Sensors I might purchase but what else should I get?