Page 1 of 2
I just went into my local music store today, where I have a Fender Blues Jr. amp and a great sounding Standard Strat on layaway when I was informed that my Strat did not come with a gig bag!

First off, let me tell you that I am getting the Blues Jr. for $400 instead of the usual $480, which is why I let it slide that I am paying $470 for the Sunburst Strat. It's forty bucks extra, but with eighty bucks off the amp, I was still getting a good deal. Well, now that I have learned that not only am I being charged $40 extra, plus tax, but now I have to pay another $40 for a gig bag, too. This is ridiculous.

I had a hunch that a gig bag came with all Standard Strats and I look on Fender's web site, in their price list pdf file it says and I quote, "The Standard Series Stratocaster guitar features a high-mass bridge block for improved sustain and tone, shielded body cavities for quieter operation, medium jumbo frets for a more modern feel and a gig bag!"

Does anyone know if I can contact Fender to let them know that one of their dealers is screwing his customers? And how to I do so if it is possible?

P.S. He is also charging full retail price for all gig bags and cases, rather than the usual street price.
First dude chill out man Jesus dont need to be that pissed off

any way show him that fender said they include the gig bag with the guitar and if he doesn't give ya 1 then yeah call fender CS and then be pissed of at him lol

EDIT: you sounded pissed of from what u were typing IMO my b
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Jul 17, 2008,
What do you mean chill out? I am calm. I am just asking for opinions and advice, and to see what others think I can and should do in this situation.
That dealer sounds like a douche.
Quote by shreddin_frets
I've never played guiar before. Is it communist?

Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Now how should i dispose of the poo stick?
give the dealer a bitch slap, that should set him straight
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
yeah mine didn't come with one, get over it, they don't exactly cost that much.
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
yeah mine didn't come with one, get over it, they don't exactly cost that much.

Apparently you didn't read my post, because I am being overcharged in addition to being charged full price for a gig bag that is supposed to come with it. Read before you rip into people.
Yeah, I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get my money back and take everything out of layaway.

I just moved here, and I thought it was great to have a guitar store in town, but if it's run by a moron then it somehow loses its appeal. I guess I am back to ordering online and taking my chances.
here in UK every new USA strat comes with a hard case, but then we pay a lot more than you guys anyway.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Print it off and show them that you should get a free gig back. Contact Fender if they then don't give you one.

Stop having a go at everyone trying to help you. We're on your side.
I just got finished printing it off, but I have to go to work soon and the owner won't be back until tomorrow. Hopefully something can be worked out, but I am just as willing to let everything drop and just buy from MF.

I know I shouldn't be quite so defensive, but I am fairly certain the guy who said "get over it" was probably not as helpful or supportive as you and everyone else.
Last edited by WingedMan at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by dr_john
here in UK every new USA strat comes with a hard case, but then we pay a lot more than you guys anyway.

I think he meant standard as in Mexican-made standard.
Quote by dr_john

It's not an American Standard, just a Standard Mexican Made Strat. If I was buying an American Standard and they wouldn't so much as give me a gig bag, I would have gone through the roof !
yea, you need to talk to sales boy or better yet his manager and ask wheres my gig bag and that you will tell every musician you you know that they are a bunch of shysters if they dont comply....but be nice about it, dont let them get pissed off or it might strengthen their resolve.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Just say to him "I thought they came with a gig bag; it says it on the Fender website."

What's the worse that can happen? He tells you he can't give you one? Is it that bad anyway?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by WingedMan
I know I shouldn't be quite so defensive, but I am fairly certain the guy who said "get over it" was probably not as helpful or supportive as you and everyone else.

Ah okay, that's fair enough.
Dude gig bags aren't that big of a deal!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Yeah, I know gig bags aren't that important, but when you are being overcharged and they are skimping out on what it should come with, it tends to bug you.
what i dont get is being "overcharged" and still paying for it. screw 'em, like someone else said, if you dont like the prices then dont pay them. negotiate, see if they'll lower their price, if they dont, then take your money elsewhere.

it sounds like you're going to end up going somewhere else for your gear anyway.

good luck.
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
You are not being overcharged, you are choosing to buy from him. Buy online if you want the lowest price possible. He has to set higher prices because he owns a physical store and his business is probably suffering from guitar center and musiciansfriend.

But on the other hand, I would print out the page that says it comes with a gig bag and politely talk to them about it. If it doesn't come with one, maybe you could talk him down on the price for one, or even a hard shell case.
It sounds to me like hes knocking 80 bucks off the amp ...
charging u an extra 40 bucks for the guitar...

and 80-40 = 40...

go anywhere and buy a gig bag under 40 bucks and u still saved.

I look at it like this...

It's a beautiful guitar..you are actually hurting him because he could just sell
it to a guy that has the money right then. He has to wait for you...so I could
understand a nice strat like that to be hiked up a little. I would even expect
for it to be 40 more than the website.

IF u by that guitar online u save 40 bucks..then u gotta pay shipping ..then you
gotta wait 5 days for a guitar u never even played. You may have to send it back.
In the end..u end up paying 15 bucks more buying it from his shop...but look at
how convenient it is to actually know its the right guitar..perfect for you and
you just walk out with it. I love one very famous website out there..but i had to
stop paying extra for shipping because the stuff always arrived in standard shipping
time's window.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 18, 2008,
Your not getting overcharged. You said yourself he was cutting you a deal on the amp ($80 dollars) And charging you 40 Extra for the Guitar, therefore you are still saving $40. If you choose to buy the gig bag, it evens out.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
It sounds to me like hes knocking 80 bucks off the amp ...
charging u an extra 40 bucks for the guitar...

and 80-40 = 40...

go anywhere and buy a gig bag under 40 bucks and u still saved.

I look at it like this...

It's a beautiful guitar..you are actually hurting him because he could just sell
it to a guy that has the money right then. He has to wait for you...so I could
understand a nice strat like that to be hiked up a little. I would even expect
for it to be 40 more than the website.

IF u by that guitar online u save 40 bucks..then u gotta pay shipping ..then you
gotta wait 5 days for a guitar u never even played. You may have to send it back.
In the end..u end up paying 15 bucks more buying it from his shop...but look at
how convenient it is to actually know its the right guitar..perfect for you and
you just walk out with it. I love one very famous website out there..but i had to
stop paying extra for shipping because the stuff always arrived in standard shipping
time's window.

+1 if it makes u feel better the gig bag that came with the strat is total ****. i can send you mine if you like.
Quote by WingedMan
I just went into my local music store today, where I have a Fender Blues Jr. amp and a great sounding Standard Strat on layaway when I was informed that my Strat did not come with a gig bag!

First off, let me tell you that I am getting the Blues Jr. for $400 instead of the usual $480, which is why I let it slide that I am paying $470 for the Sunburst Strat. It's forty bucks extra, but with eighty bucks off the amp, I was still getting a good deal. Well, now that I have learned that not only am I being charged $40 extra, plus tax, but now I have to pay another $40 for a gig bag, too. This is ridiculous.

I had a hunch that a gig bag came with all Standard Strats and I look on Fender's web site, in their price list pdf file it says and I quote, "The Standard Series Stratocaster guitar features a high-mass bridge block for improved sustain and tone, shielded body cavities for quieter operation, medium jumbo frets for a more modern feel and a gig bag!"

Does anyone know if I can contact Fender to let them know that one of their dealers is screwing his customers? And how to I do so if it is possible?

P.S. He is also charging full retail price for all gig bags and cases, rather than the usual street price.

nvm i read the whole post, beat his nuts in
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
So, you got $80 off the amp, but an extra $40 for the guitar, and then $40 for a gig bag, right?
Uhh, it sounds like you payed what you should have paid to me.
Quote by WingedMan
It's not an American Standard, just a Standard Mexican Made Strat. If I was buying an American Standard and they wouldn't so much as give me a gig bag, I would have gone through the roof !

oh, ok, my misunderstanding. good luck with the gig bag. i once bought a second hand USA fender tele without a case and the guy in the shop was only too pleased to throw in a fender gig bag for free.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dark_asylum
what i dont get is being "overcharged" and still paying for it. screw 'em, like someone else said, if you dont like the prices then dont pay them. negotiate, see if they'll lower their price, if they dont, then take your money elsewhere.

it sounds like you're going to end up going somewhere else for your gear anyway.

good luck.

+1 If they aren't going to give you a good deal then spend your $900 elsewhere.
Yeah, he's totally not ripping you off in the sense you meant it in. He sorta is, but it's because he's trying to make it look like you're getting a deal, and if he can sell that gig bag for 40 bucks to you, or someone else, he made exactly the same amount of money on the transaction had he would if he wouldn't have knocked the money off the amp.

However, it IS shady that how he's doing it is denying you something that is supposed to come stock with the guitar according to Fender. As suggested, print that out and calmly show it to him. Then if he still doesn't comply, start making the motions of not only getting your money back and losing your business, but how you will be telling your friends about this...and if he still doesn't cave, well...he's either incredibly cocky, doesn't care, or is a bad bad businessman and just carry out getting your money back, never going back, and telling everyone you associate with in the local music scene what he's up to.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Mexi Strats are supposed to come with a gig bag, according to both Musiciansfriend and Fender themselves. Your dealer is trying to make an extra $40 bucks off something that is already supposed to be included with the guitar.

That alone would be reason enough for me to avoid them altogether. It's dishonest.

But if you insist on wanting to try to buy locally from them, you should make like you're going to buy online - add a MIM Strat to your shopping cart, then print the page and bring it to the store. Give them an opportunity to match the deal - including the gig bag - and if they don't, go elsewhere.

Simple.
Yeah, I agree with ZZRider. The bag comes with, so if he is trying to sell the gig bag seperately - the I think Fender would want to know about that. They are pretty particular about who can sell their stuff. I would use that as the last card after you try to negotiate politlely. They know it comes free so Don't let them play dumb on you.

This actually happened to me with Guitar Center but it was an honest mistake and they gave me a credit off the guitar to make up for it.
i got charged 25 extra bucks for my gig bag for my V but i let it slide considering i got it for 520 (well actually 545 with the bag) instead of 700. but yea dont take that ****, thats a rip off.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by caraluzzo
So, you got $80 off the amp, but an extra $40 for the guitar, and then $40 for a gig bag, right?
Uhh, it sounds like you payed what you should have paid to me.

thats what i thought too till i read the whole thing, fender says gig bags come free with standard strats, so the dealer isnt following what fender says to make an extra buck
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Tubyboulin
Your not getting overcharged. You said yourself he was cutting you a deal on the amp ($80 dollars) And charging you 40 Extra for the Guitar, therefore you are still saving $40. If you choose to buy the gig bag, it evens out.

But supposedly, the gig bag came free with the guitar. And that's not the dealer's arrangement, it clearly states so in the Fender website.

I say confront the guy, print out the page where it says the gig bag should be free and show it to him.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
ha ha you think your getting ripped off cos you dont get a gig bag a fender blues jr in the uk costs around £400-500 ($800-1000 u.s) we get well ripped off in the uk, they do sound good tho.
this is why you dont buy fenders
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
this is why you dont buy fenders

LOL What?

What does this have to do with Fender, and how is it a reason not to buy a Fender at all? It's about one dealer's somewhat deceptive sales tactics.

Really lame attempt at bashing Fender.

Fail.
Yeah this same thing happened to me at a local music store but at the time being new to the guitar world, I didn't know my MIM Telecaster was supposed to come with a gig bag. However the guitar was a birthday gift from my girlfriend and she bought a Levy gig bag anyway because she thought I needed a nice padded gig bag to better protect the guitar. Why I didn't go back and ask for the free gig bag. One the costumer service at the shop was awesome, they let me play the guitar alone in the amp room for about two hours and the salesman was helpful with my questions. Two It's a local business, Honestly I was happy with supporting a local business. I know this is my own personal philosophy but I feel that local businesses are being run out by big names such as guitar center, and yes sometimes I buy stuff from guitar center. However the costumer service has always been subpar when I go to GC and I just feel more comfortable making my large purchases at my local shop.
Anyways that's enough about my situation for you if you feel that the shop was dishonest, bring it up politely to the owner. I'm willing to bet that the owner wants to keep a good bond with the musician community and essentially his costumers. He knows how quickly he could lose his valuable costumers to Guitar Center and Musicians Friend.
Hope this helps.
Rudeboy out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Well, thanks everyone for the support and advice. I am going to leave in a few minutes to go to the store and talk to them. If he starts to get wishy washy with everything, I am just going to demand a refund and walk out of the store with my money. Hopefully something can be worked out. Thanks again everyone.
My MIM Standard Strat came with a gig bag and was sunburst for $429 Canadian. The guitar comes in the gig bag inside of the box that it's shipped in, so it should be included. If he's selling the guitar as brand new than it should be included--espcially at that price he's using. If he's not including what should come with the guitar he could actually be violating his contract as Fender dealer.
Page 1 of 2