Which do u prefer and why?

I am saving for a guitar and am not sure which would help me more.
depends if you are going to amp it up for gigs etc. I brought an acoustic (yamaha sg720) because it was damn good value and I don't intend on giging.
Just pick whatever guitar feels right. Don't pick a guitar and not play it. A lot of people on this site seem to say should I get this model or that model. When two of the same models can be completely different. Take a gibson Les Paul Standard for example, you can play one and it will be horrible, but you can play another it is great. This holds even more true for acoustics. Go to a couple stores and play as many as you can. Each time you go back just play the ones at the top of your list until you have the best one. Don't worry about the elecritc acoustic or acoustic. You can get a good p-up for cheap.
If you plan on gigging or doing anything for a large crowd, then get a acoustic-electric. OR you could get a high-quality all acoustic guitar and then equip it with pickups later. this might be a better route because the acoustic will sound awesome unplugged AND plugged in. just my 2 cents.
i say go with the acoustic electric, truthfully you may think now you'll NEVER use the electric part...but you'll have it incase you want to/need to in the future
buy the best acoustic guitar you can afford later put your own pickup in. spend your money on the guitars tone and feel not the markup of the cheapest electronics thy can put in.
If you won't be plugging in, then you can get much more guitar for your money without the electronics.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
If you want to later, you can get a soundhole pickup or something. My Fishman Neo-D was just $60.
Go for the acoustic if you're only new. Acoustics sound a lot better than acoustic-electrics when unplugged. You would rarely plug your acoustic-electric into your amp while at home anyway, it's more for an audience.
Ok, here's the deal.

When buying ANY acoustic guitar you need to buy the one that you thinks sounds best unplugged. For after all, isn't the acoustic guitar and hasn't it always been an instrument whose beauty comes from its own body and the resonation of its woods?

Once you have the one that sounds the best unplugged, whether it has a microphone/preamp or not, THEN you should think about spending more money to make it into an electric possibility. It's really simple and common to make a regular acoustic guitar into an acoustic electric guitar, and if you already have a beautiful sounding one, then you'll still have a beautiful sounding on the other side of the transformation.

Acoustic/electric functionality will not make an "okay" sounding guitar sound phenomenal. Stick with the basics, first.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Go for the acoustic if you're only new. Acoustics sound a lot better than acoustic-electrics when unplugged. You would rarely plug your acoustic-electric into your amp while at home anyway, it's more for an audience.

im not new
just to this forum
i have been playing for 5 years and have had 2 acoustics, an elctric, and a hollowbody.
Im gonna go to the store soon and check it out
Thank you for all the replys
If you've got a budget of £400/500 you can pick up a real nice tanglewood electric acoustic, but generally lower down, eg £100/200 is better for acoustics, I haven't seen many nice electro acoustics below 250/300, may just be my unluckyness though.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
im leaning towards just acoustic and then putting in a nice pickup ina while because right now i just play for my friends so i dont need the extra sound.
One question i did have is are these 2 guitars different beside the shape?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500R-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518103

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR500R-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519059