i have a peavey 5150 tube combo amp and i am going to retube it. im going to get the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's for the power tubes and then the Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 for the preamps. i am looking for a modern metal tone along the lines of machine head and chimaira. basically a tone that can be very brutal and heavy but also clear for solos and leads. i dont want to sound "dry" as it usually does. do u think these tubes will do the job?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Ruby tubes are just Sovteks with other labels printed on them. Check out tubedepot.com for a much better selection of better tubes.
No they're not.

Ruby makes their own power tubes.

I've never tried those power tubes, but if they're anything like the EL34s they make, they sould be great.

However, if you want a good setup, I'd go with some SED =C= 6L6s and a mix of preamp tubes so you can switch them around to get the tone you want. Email Doug over at dougstubes.com, he'll tell you what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thats wat doug told me to get
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
You need to be careful with Tung-sol 12AX7s in the 5150. You cannot use them in the cathode follower stage, which I think on the 5150II is V2.
is this true? on all peavey 5150?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
r u being sarcastic?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
tungsuls in the preamp and JJ in the power side
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
tungsuls in the preamp and JJ in the power side

Did you not read my post? Tung-sols aren't for cathode followers. Don't suggest them for such.
Anyway, if I remember correctly it's V2 on the 5150II and V3 on the "5150 EVH," so avoid putting TS tubes in those positions. Sovtek LPS have the same issue by the way.
how bout getting all tung-sols and then a Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen. for the cathode follower?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
That would be fine, but I'd get a JJ or two to try in V1. The tung-sols are going to be pretty fizzy in that amp and a JJ will help that. You can always put it in the phase inverter if you don't like the effect.
how bout all tungsol and then a JJ for the cathode follower and the v1? will that help me achieve the "brutal" tone im looking for?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Last edited by kazra90 at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
That would be fine, but I'd get a JJ or two to try in V1. The tung-sols are going to be pretty fizzy in that amp and a JJ will help that. You can always put it in the phase inverter if you don't like the effect.

Colin, do the Tung Sols in V1 actually make an amp fizzier? I was recommended TS in the V1 for a good quiet preamp tube, but fizz is something I would like to avoid completely. It's a darker spectrum amp I'm thinking about tubes for, but fizz would be yuck in this amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids