Hey guys I'm new here, a guitarist friend of mine directed me here sad you guys could help. I'm in the marked for a new bass. I've been playing for about 9 months now on my affinity squier jazz and I think it's time for an upgrade. I went to my local guitar center today and played a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, a Delxue Active Jazz, a Spector 4 Legend, a Mexican made jazz bass, and an Ibanez ATK300. I really liked the spector but it was a little out my price range, if I can scrape up enough cash in the next week or so I'm probably going to get it, but they are having a fender sale and the aerodyne is on sale for $529 which was my second choice. thoughts?
I prefer the Mexican standard J-bass. Then spend a little to get it professionally set up.
from an affinity jazz to a MIM is barely an upgrade, definitely not worth $450. I have no experience with the aerodyne, spector, and Ibanez, but it may be worth waiting until you can afford something higher end- if you really like the Jazz then possibly a Highway One or American Standard
the aerodyn or jazz delux are good upgrades. for an ibanez, you need a much higer number than 300 to be worth the money, unlees its the sr200. aerodyns are gorgeous, i would like one myself when i have the money.
If you like the Aerodyne, then get it. You could probably find it used for a lot less though
If you liked the Spector the best then save up for the Spector. You don't want to be sitting looking at your brand new Aerodyne thinking "I wish I bought that Legend 4 instead".
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by smb
Yeah I meant the Spector

haha

<_<

>_>

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
HOLY ****, i just realised, aerodyn for $529, over here its like £540 which is about $1080.
Ok I think I'm going to go with the Aerodyne, it's about $200 less than the spector, so Ill put that money twords my amp fund. Speaking of which, what would be a good mid rage say 150-200 watt amp? I've been looking at some ashdowns and I've only heard good things about them. now I just have a 25W fender.
Ashdown is good. try Acoustic too. They have some nice cheap stuff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Was it the Spector Legend 4 Custom or Classic? I own the custom... spent most of the money I earned last summer on it but don't regret it for a second. That thing feels better than any other bass I've played. How much are they selling it for? Mine went for $750 after tax - worth every penny.
Quote by aguacateojos
Was it the Spector Legend 4 Custom or Classic? I own the custom... spent most of the money I earned last summer on it but don't regret it for a second. That thing feels better than any other bass I've played. How much are they selling it for? Mine went for $750 after tax - worth every penny.

I think it was $750, it was the custom, but I still think I'm going to go with the Aerodyne, I kinda have a thing for fenders. It leaves me with $200 that I can put towards an amp. And as much as a fender fanboy as I am, if I ever do get another bass anytime soon it will be a spector they do look and feel fantastic

Thanks for the help everybody
Its good that you know what you want in a bass. For me, I've only found two Fender's that feel good. The rest have been too... blah. Rock that new bass, post some pictures.
Oh, man save for the Spector! Did I mention that I think you should save for the Spector?

Ok. I am officially declaring myself as a Spector fan girl. I love Fenders and will hopefully own a Urge II and a MIA P bass someday, but my next bass will definately be a 5 string Spector.
Gelb Music has a ridiculously nice looking five-string Spector right now! I would have played it but I just can't seem to do more than four strings. It was going for... $1,600 which seemed about right given their list prices.
I say save up for the Spector. They are so versatile if you play different genres of music.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Well something crazy happened today. I went to GC to pick up the Aerodyne I had on hold but for some reason they sold it(kinda pissed me off at the time), so on a whim I went to a pawn shop and guess what I found for $350, a spector legend 4.

http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_perf_leg4class2.html, my pics comming soon
Last edited by RollTide888 at Jul 18, 2008,
aerodyne jazz bass is awesome
is like a p/j bass hybrid but xtreme!!!
a ultra thin neck and a p/j pup configuration
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Oh the bass gods smiled on you!! Is it black cherry like the link?

See you were never meant to have the Aerodyne, the Spector was fated for you. Along with the pictures you need to post up some sound bytes as well. Congrats!

Now someone ask the bass gods to be so kind to me
Quote by anarkee
Oh the bass gods smiled on you!! Is it black cherry like the link?

See you were never meant to have the Aerodyne, the Spector was fated for you. Along with the pictures you need to post up some sound bytes as well. Congrats!

Now someone ask the bass gods to be so kind to me

*does the bass dance*

*rains MIM's*

best I could.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well through further research I've found out that my bass is 2004 Spector Performer 4 DLX.

Pics

plays great, I dont have any kind of recording stuff so other than a video I cant get a sound clip up, not sure you would want a sound clip from me anyway