Hi, it's been a life long dream to play the guitar and i've finally had enough of saying and start doing, life is too short! So...i bought my guitar at the weekend and i'm going to try...no will...teach myself how to play it. BUT, i'm not sure where to start and what the best process is step by step. So this is, hopefully, where you guys come in. Where do i start, learn cords first, just play around to learn where each string is on both hands without looking, learn each tread...i just don't know where to begin so doing a bit of everything at the moment. Any ideas and reccomendations would be great as i want to do it right and take the easy route, not make things harder for myself. Also, i've tried the e and a cord, i'm finding it hard to get my fingers in the right postion in order not to touch the other strings. Any suggestions on this to and/or websites where i can see finger positioning as it might help.

Sorry for such a long post! Thank you for taking the time to read it
I would recommend learning chords, and doing exercises. Ex. of an exercise that is good for you, the spider exercise.

Learning chords and then learn some songs that are just chords is a great way to get familiar with the sound and feel of your guitar. And learning songs is always fun, hope this helps.
There are plenty of helpful resources on this site, and the entire internet. if you 'search' as much as possible and ask questions when you cant find the answers, youll be good to go.
Your Signature:
Top of the page, click on "lessons" theres tonnes of beginners lessons, knock yourself out
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Just try and practice easy chords (mayor, minor, also learn their names and how to do them), and positioning your fingers the right way, as well as strumming. It will take a while until you get used to it and can change chords quickly and know where to put your fingers without looking, so don't worry about that. After you learn how to play chords you can try and learn some simple songs, I think there's a song reccomendation thread around here, you can search there. Also, there are some good guitar lessons on youtube, take a look there.

Just do things slowly and you'll learn a lot.
Last edited by Andrusho at Jul 17, 2008,
You should start playing some easy songs ...
Go check out some tabs of songs you listen to...
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
When I started (again, after lessons failed to inspire me), I just learnt the open chords, then put together some really basic slow chord progressions, and just strummed about until I had the hang of it. Then, I found a song using just open chords and learnt them. I found that starting too early with theory etc. just made me lose interest. Simply put, have fun learning really basic songs.

I also got the free Power Tab software, which let me learn songs at my own pace, AND it has a feature which shows you chord shapes and fingerings etc...

Practices, and have fun. Good luck! It's a long way to the top...
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
well, learn to read tabs. its where you will get to know a lot of songs. this is important because most people i know give up guitar cuz theyr teacher gives them theory and theory and boring lessons, but they never get the satispaction of playing what they like. also, a lot of future lessons like the scales and etc, found on internet come in tab form, so to learn, you need to learn this.
http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm

then, you need to excersice your fingers and coordination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkezJz_ibuk

another thing is never to try do more than what you can, as you'll end up just doing worse. what i mean is you need to practice a lot, and learn a lot before you actually can do things well. take for example guys like vincent745 or awesomepossum5 (check on youtube) they dont practice but try hard stuff they didint practice, and end up playing bad. the key of guitar is to practice. and a lot.

btw, do what you can to get a teacher to teach for at least a month or a week, or even a summer guitar course, because that can solve a lot of future questions and problems

btw learn some chords http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qR9cQgy8A&feature=related
when learning the chords dont feel you need to get the exact same shape shown in the video. of course you need to press the same frets and strings, but the finger order isnt the same on everyone. for example, i use other fingers for the A chord (i use 1, 2 and 3, and the dude uses 2, 3 and 4). its just of how you feel comfortable due to your personal hand size and other factors.

if you have questions, feel free to ask in the forum, there's always peopl with will to help begginers.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by BlueEyes22
Hi, it's been a life long dream to play the guitar and i've finally had enough of saying and start doing, life is too short! So...i bought my guitar at the weekend and i'm going to try...no will...teach myself how to play it. BUT, i'm not sure where to start and what the best process is step by step. So this is, hopefully, where you guys come in. Where do i start, learn cords first, just play around to learn where each string is on both hands without looking, learn each tread...i just don't know where to begin so doing a bit of everything at the moment. Any ideas and reccomendations would be great as i want to do it right and take the easy route, not make things harder for myself. Also, i've tried the e and a cord, i'm finding it hard to get my fingers in the right postion in order not to touch the other strings. Any suggestions on this to and/or websites where i can see finger positioning as it might help.

Sorry for such a long post! Thank you for taking the time to read it

Not a long post at all, you should read some of mine! Sheesh.
If I were you, I'd start at the bare bones basics. Learn what every part of the guitar is and how they all interact with each other. Learn how to properly tune it. How to re-string it. What strings are what and how different ones effect the tone. Take it slow for the moment because your fret hand fingers and hand won't be very strong for a while. Don't overdo it by rushing into trying to learn whole songs right yet. Guitaring has a learning curve to it just like everything else new that you've never done before. Take your time, gain confidence in each area, then move on. As you progress, you'll notice certain milestones popping up that you want to reach. Focus on those. Say right now, you want to learn the basic open chords which are C, A, G, E, D. These spell out the word caged, making them easy to remember. Practice each chord for finger placement, and for tone, until you can make each chord sound right when strumming it. Move on to the next one and so on. In a month or so, you'll have them down and can then start putting them together to make simple chord progressions. Here's a link to another site besides UG that might help you along. There's beginner videos to watch that will help. Have fun too! This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! Just have fun doing it, and you'll never lose interest.

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/guitar_lessons_beginner.html
you should definitely learn tabs, but also take the time to learn how to read music as well... good luck!
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Learn open chords. Practice changing chords. Just go C to G to C over and over. Try to make the transitions smooth. Do this with other chords also.

You could learn pentatonic scales also.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by LeftyDave
Have fun too! This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! Just have fun doing it, and you'll never lose interest.

Best advice you can ever get -- also, it may help to find a buddy to play together with. Playing with other people is the best way to have fun and improve.
I'm trying to teach myself as well. My fingers hurt. xD
but I'm glad you made this thread because all of these responses are helping me out too. [:
[IMG]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/demifansforever/0032br9.jpg[/IMG]
Hi there.. I'm also a self-taught beginner that's been playing since April. To get me started, i got a great book that has chord diagrams, discussed theory in a fun way... & teaches you all the basic beginner stuff. I learnt a few chords at 1st ( A E & D) & i practiced & practiced changing between the three until i was doing it smoothly & cleanly. Then i came online & looked for a song using those 3 chords! Wild Thing was my 1st easy song! Then i moved onto Knocking on Heavens Door... Mr Tambourine Man... Bad Moon Rising... there's lots of songs that only use 3 or 4 chords.

On YouTube... look up LazyFret... JustinSandercoe & ThreeChordGuitar. They're 3 guys that do simple easy to follow lessons... They are my saviours, lol

Good luck & have fun..!

Edit: forgot to say... when your fingers start to hurt.. just keep on playing! It doesn't take long for the pads of your fingers to toughen up!

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100
Last edited by Rachael1975UK at Jul 18, 2008,
Thank you all so much for all your help, i have lots to search on the internet now, and yes my fingers hurt, but it's all good i will keep you all updated on my progress sure i'll have plently more questions and queries for all!
Quote by Rachael1975UK
Hi there.. I'm also a self-taught beginner that's been playing since April. To get me started, i got a great book that has chord diagrams, discussed theory in a fun way... & teaches you all the basic beginner stuff. I learnt a few chords at 1st ( A E & D) & i practiced & practiced changing between the three until i was doing it smoothly & cleanly. Then i came online & looked for a song using those 3 chords! Wild Thing was my 1st easy song! Then i moved onto Knocking on Heavens Door... Mr Tambourine Man... Bad Moon Rising... there's lots of songs that only use 3 or 4 chords.

On YouTube... look up LazyFret... JustinSandercoe & ThreeChordGuitar. They're 3 guys that do simple easy to follow lessons... They are my saviours, lol

Good luck & have fun..!

Edit: forgot to say... when your fingers start to hurt.. just keep on playing! It doesn't take long for the pads of your fingers to toughen up!

Thanks! can i ask which book it is that you have reccomended?
Quote by BlueEyes22
Thanks! can i ask which book it is that you have reccomended?

It's a KISS (Keep It Simple Series) book... Guide To Playing Guitar.

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100