I'm looking to mod my Strat so I have a tone control for the bridge and a treble bleed on the volume pot. But it got me wondering what other cool mods there are out there and what you guys think are the most useful. I've found a few through Google myself.

My goal would be to keep it simple, I don't need/want an overwhelming amount of options. I'm even lured by the idea of a 3-way switch instead of a 5-way, but I suppose it's pointless to limit myself. I also like the idea of a master tone and a master volume, but I wouldn't know what to do with the 3rd pot.

Some options I've considered:

1) Stock w/tone 2 modded to bridge
2) Master tone with second tone knob used to blend in neck pickup
3) No tone with a volume for each pickup
4) I've also seen some combos that assign the 5-way selector to some more useful configurations

Any thoughts on these ideas or any others? Like I said, I like it simply with a reasonable amount of combination. I'm not really looking to widen my available tones, but to capture the ones I like best and make it simple to use.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 17, 2008,
my one strat has a treble boost if you crank the tone past 5, but that wasn't a mod, it was stock back in the day

i like the idea of messing with the toggle switch configurations, i guess it all depends on what you play and which pickups you like though
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
my one strat has a treble boost if you crank the tone past 5, but that wasn't a mod, it was stock back in the day

i like the idea of messing with the toggle switch configurations, i guess it all depends on what you play and which pickups you like though

Yeah, I guess my issue is that most mods strive to make things more versatile and in turn more complex. I'm not incapable of understand how to work a guitar with 12 or whatever combinations, but I don't really want or need that. Just looking for a solid, simple arrangement without limiting myself too much. That's why I'm totally into the Tele with 2 pickups and a three-way, haha. Hmm...

Like the whole Deaf Eddie's thing looks really neat, but it's way too many options for me.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 17, 2008,
wow...great links jim!

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Invader Jim
That second link was hard to re-locate 'cause that site is French (the page I linked is French and translated to English), and I can't read French.

Anyway, no prob.

Hey thanks, that's the best summary of different techniques that I've seen so far.
http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm
First mod. It's complicated because of the amount of wires in your control cavity, but once it's done, it really does sound like a humbucker, much fuller sound than the tinny single coils.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster