This was on eBay and I believe I am not allowed to post the link.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,,I don't know much about this amplifier, therefore I cannot speak much to its history or preformance, nor can I make any claims about its reliability or any (if any) mechanical flaws it might have. I aquired this amp from our drummer a couple of years ago. I've only played this once for an STP song during rehearsal and didn't care for the tone. I just plugged it in before listing, and I still don't care for the tone. My guess is that this amp needs retubed.

Here's what it sounds like to me and you can determine if it needs new tubes - it has a ton of gain and is loud - great harmonics and feedback - that part I like, what this amp seems to lack is low end and the EQ doesn't seem to shape the sound much. This could be a preamp tube problem. Amp has too much treble for my taste. Maybe that's the Marshall sound. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is this a tube problem like he said?

If I pick it up from him (he is about 3 hours away) I could meet him in Columbus OH, he can include a 5150 cab (bought separately). Would these be good together?
Quote by KingJustinian25
This was on eBay and I believe I am not allowed to post the link.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,,I don't know much about this amplifier, therefore I cannot speak much to its history or preformance, nor can I make any claims about its reliability or any (if any) mechanical flaws it might have. I aquired this amp from our drummer a couple of years ago. I've only played this once for an STP song during rehearsal and didn't care for the tone. I just plugged it in before listing, and I still don't care for the tone. My guess is that this amp needs retubed.

Here's what it sounds like to me and you can determine if it needs new tubes - it has a ton of gain and is loud - great harmonics and feedback - that part I like, what this amp seems to lack is low end and the EQ doesn't seem to shape the sound much. This could be a preamp tube problem. Amp has too much treble for my taste. Maybe that's the Marshall sound. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is this a tube problem like he said?

If I pick it up from him (he is about 3 hours away) I could meet him in Columbus OH, he can include a 5150 cab (bought separately). Would these be good together?

probably not the usual is reverse, a 5150 on a 1960 marshall cab
literally never heard a good thing about a peavey cab, but its probably not that bad, i would suggest getting it, selling it and using the money to get a used 1960 cab
oh and btw once you get it if you do, please tell me about it (the head of course)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
****!!! A guy in MY SAME SUBURB OF CINCINNATI listed a JCM800 2205!!! I might have to get that. Thats the 2 channel version right?

Any opinions would be great.
Quote by KingJustinian25
****!!! A guy in MY SAME SUBURB IF CINCINNATI listed a JCM800 2205!!! I might have to get that. Thats the 2 channel version right?

yeah
trust me man i've done MONTHS of jcm 800 2205 vs. jcm 900 4500 (or at one point 4100)
simply enough, from experience playing the 800, (haven't played the 900)
the 800 will sound different than the normal one channel versions, a more modern gain, and of course two channels. the gain on it will reach pretty high levels with a od pedal and cranked, somewhere in the thrash metal range
cleans on the 800 are decent, really not that great, so don't get it for cleans, or if you use cleans a ton
the plus side to the 800 is that the od is better in general, especially for classic rock
the 900 (this is from all my research) will sound even more modern than the 2205 800, with a ton of gain on tap already, it can hit thrash at bedroom levels without an od pedal
the plus side to the 900 is that the cleans improve quite a bit from the 800, (thats the main selling point to me as a TON of things i play are clean)
another thing, the 900 is great for just in general 90's alt. rock sounds, tom delonge of blink-182 used one of these, so that alternative sound will probably sound good through it
to sum it up its really a matter of
good cleans, a little lesser and more modern od, oh forgot, effects loop plus reverb, (if its the dual reverb) vs. decent cleans, a little better, more classic rock oriented od, and maybe some lost versatality with not effects loop or reverb
oh well happy buying
two great amps
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Thanks for the info.
Do you think the problem with the guys 900 is tubes, or is that just how it is?
Also, I want pretty good cleans and modern distortion is perfectly fine with me, so you think the JCM900 is more suited for me (and its the 100W dual reverb version, and its cheaper) ?
It is simply hard for anyone to guess, I do tend to feel that when a tube amp sounds sour or weak it is usually a tube issue.

I checked out the add, I would still look for the price to go to $600 or above.

BTW. Where are you located? I am about 3 hours from Columbus, if you live near me you could check out my 900.
Last edited by DW# at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by KingJustinian25
Thanks for the info.
Do you think the problem with the guys 900 is tubes, or is that just how it is?
Also, I want pretty good cleans and modern distortion is perfectly fine with me, so you think the JCM900 is more suited for me (and its the 100W dual reverb version, and its cheaper) ?

yeah there's PLENTY of 100 watt versions to go around, on ebay especially so just remember there is an abundance of the amp for sale
why you ask?
well my guess is that people just think their 100 watts are too loud, i recently just decided on getting a 50 watt instead of the 100 watt because of the clipping i could get from the 25 watt power switch
from what i've seen theirs about 5 100 watts per sale for every 50 watt
which makes them a lot harder to buy
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE