hi...similar question have been asked before but.....
I've been playing for about 4 yrs, but I stil have a major problem with with my left wrist. I find it hard to play most chords(especially barre chords, including power chords) for a long time without ending with pain from my palm to my elbow, this isn't supposed to happen is it?
I asked my guitar teacher about this, but he says the more you practice the pain will go away...thats pretty much what most people say.
I also have the same problem when playing the electric guitar standin up.
Please help!
hmmm... this pain has been going on for ALL four years? if so, it could be something serious. i know because i'm a doctor
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
try to use a wristband i had a sort of a problem like you when i was going fast so try and if it not helps go to a docter........ it's for you're own health !!!!!!!!
Gear:
Dean Cemetery Gates Razorback
MXR Dime Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
ISP Decimator
EH LPB-1
Peavey 6505
D'addario strings, DR strings
Dunlop picks
It could your hand/arm position is causing it. RSI, Repetative Strain Injury can cause these types of symptoms I believe and ergonomics is a factor there. I'd see a Doctor about any long term pain in case you are actually injuring yourself unintentionally.
Moving on.....
Quote by wild_flowerzz

I asked my guitar teacher about this, but he says the more you practice the pain will go away

Your guitar teacher is an idiot, I hope you don't pay him.

If you are experiencing pain, and have been for a while, I suggest you take a look at your technique because if it hurts too much, you're doing something wrong. If it goes on visit a doctor or something, you may have to put down the guitar for a few weeks if it's a muscle or tendon problem.
yeah i know what your talking about,every time i play a song with power chords in it my hand starts hurting and i can't even finish the song.
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
Quote by rich420

If you are experiencing pain, and have been for a while, I suggest you take a look at your technique because if it hurts too much, you're doing something wrong. If it goes on visit a doctor or something, you may have to put down the guitar for a few weeks if it's a muscle or tendon problem.

+1

Pain is your body's way of saying "you're doing it wrong". Examine your technique and try to figure out if you have any excess tension in your joints. Make sure your arms and hands are completely relaxed when you play. Also, with joint pain, don't play through it. Rest and let your muscles and tendons relax before you go at it again, otherwise you're risking long-term damage.

Seriously, call your teacher out on it. If he's saying the same thing to other students he could cause someone to have a needless injury.

-Edit- If you only experience it standing up, try adjusting your strap. Raise/lower it until you feel as comfortable as you would be sitting down.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by rich420

Quote by Garou1911
+1

Pain is your body's way of saying "you're doing it wrong". Examine your technique and try to figure out if you have any excess tension in your joints. Make sure your arms and hands are completely relaxed when you play. Also, with joint pain, don't play through it. Rest and let your muscles and tendons relax before you go at it again, otherwise you're risking long-term damage.

Seriously, call your teacher out on it. If he's saying the same thing to other students he could cause someone to have a needless injury.

-Edit- If you only experience it standing up, try adjusting your strap. Raise/lower it until you feel as comfortable as you would be sitting down.

hehe ya..I've considered stopping classes...but unfortunately i do have to pay him cos i need help with theory and general playing, main problem is the place where I live its hard to find a good guitar teacher., plus the books that are useful are too expensive over here. Yeah yeah i'm aware of how lame that sounds, but its true.
Im sure im doing something very wrong technique wise!. I think I apply waaay too much thumb pressure and hold the bridge too hard, that i'll have to reduce. Now come to think of it, I tend to 'strain' my arm by applying too much tension.
Guess i'll hve to c doctor now too..
But guys thnx for helping me out
Last edited by wild_flowerzz at Jul 18, 2008,