Hey everyone.This may sound like a realy noob quest but anyway.I have decide to get an electric guitar and the two guitars I like are gibson les paul and fender stratocaster.But I mostly play metal such as pantera slipknot and metallica and I am not sure if this is a right choise of guitar for a metal player.So please tell me if i would sound metal with these guitars or should go for a guitar like dean,jackson,bc rich...
If you put some EMG's in the LP it will make for a very good metal guitar.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
lp will do the job dont know bout strat you could consider getting a ESP Eclipes or a LTD EC1000
I'd **** her so hard, even if she was a decomposing corpse... and I'd just dug her up... damn that'd be hot.
ESP, LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, Dean. I'd go for one of those over a Gibson or Fender if it's for metal.
Strat & Les Paul are the originals and there's nothing wrong with either. You might want to consider HSS config for a Strat though as humbuckers overdrive an amp easier than single coils. A lot of people chose the other brands for things like Floyd Rose, locking Nuts or just a totally more modern look but you really can't go wrong with the old standbys, that's why most other guiatrs copy them in one way or another.
Moving on.....
Quote by Teppe
If you put some EMG's in the LP it will make for a very good metal guitar.

unless your maxing out an amp all EMG's do is kill youir tone and muddy up your cleans
all they're supposed to do is pull more out of your amp if its maxed out
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
There are plenty of metal-guitarists using stock Les Pauls, but if I were to go for one of the two you mentioned for metal, I'd get some EMGs and put them in a Les Paul. As for a more metal-designed guitar, I'd recommend a Jackson. Les Pauls and Stratocasters can both do metal, but they have a lot of ranges that you will not typically use while playing that particular genre. Versatility is good, of course, but if you're going all-in with both cash and time on a metal-guitar, then look into Jackson, Ibanez and ESP as well. Dimebag happened to use Dean guitars for quite a while, and he was pretty damn metal.
there are loads of guitars made for metal that look like lps and strats
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
gibson's can be vary good metal guitars but if ur lookin specifically at the LP know that they are thick as hell which can be a good thing but if u play fast which im assuming u will i have always thought it it easier to play fast on a thin(er) guitar I.E. SG vary thin vary goon IMO
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by CuttingJesse
Iron Maiden uses Fender Strats... and they started modern day metal in my opinion.

But their tone really isn't much different than Classic Rock bands.
Any guitar is good for metal if you have the right pickups and amp.

However, NO EMGs!! If you wan't active pickups get Seymour Duncan blackouts - they sound a million times better than EMGs!
**** gibson, go Epi. way more bang for the buck. And LP is more of a metal guitar than a strat. HSS strats are pretty cool though.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by ShredGod George
unless your maxing out an amp all EMG's do is kill youir tone and muddy up your cleans
all they're supposed to do is pull more out of your amp if its maxed out

^ Obvious N00b!! EMG's are clean enough for David Gilmour. Youtube a Pink Floyd
concert and tell me if they are only good for metal.

TS: For metal like you are talking about...Strats are a real challenge.
You need humbuckers...single coils wont be enough.

If the strat is the most comfortable...you can get an HSS strat. There are a lot
of metal players that dont use the neck pickup at all..so it can work.
It would be interesting to drop tune that alder..and play though a tweed bass amp.

EMG's are great. The only real disadvantage i can see with them is that the tone
has become so recognizable that its almost standard. You will have to work hard
with ur playing skills and setup to sound truly original. If u play an 81/85 combo
with only generic high gain distortion...u will sound like 2 million other guitarists out there.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 18, 2008,
Of the 2 go with the Les Paul, or look into ann ESP EC 1000, there a great les Paul-ish Metal guitar
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by FRDesign
But their tone really isn't much different than Classic Rock bands.

But they also put humbuckers in the strat
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by DCarney9116
But they also put humbuckers in the strat

Adrian Smith uses an S/S/S Strat live on some songs - I've seen him do it! Its loaded with Texas Special single coils.
maiden uses normal strats, HSS strats, and stacked humbuckers.
wikipedia. :]
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by adamrandall
maiden uses normal strats, HSS strats, and stacked humbuckers.
wikipedia. :]

You're point being?

I was just pointing out that metal can be played on a S/S/S strat whereas your post wasn't relevant to the topic. Also, you trust wikipedia!?

Anyway, like I said earlier, any guitar can be used for metal if you have the right pickup/amp combination.
i'd probably go with a fat strat. les pauls aren't all that tight for metal (though granted more metal pickups would help with that).

to be honest, either would be ok, but if you go with the strat, i'd make sure to get the fat version (with bridge humbucker).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd probably go with a fat strat. les pauls aren't all that tight for metal (though granted more metal pickups would help with that).

to be honest, either would be ok, but if you go with the strat, i'd make sure to get the fat version (with bridge humbucker).

+1
Quote by rich420
ESP, LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, Dean. I'd go for one of those over a Gibson or Fender if it's for metal.

Id take dean off that list
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
^ Obvious N00b!! EMG's are clean enough for David Gilmour. Youtube a Pink Floyd
concert and tell me if they are only good for metal.

He had a strat with EMGs, but he didn't use it all the time. He usually used regular single-coils.
Quote by werty22
He had a strat with EMGs, but he didn't use it all the time. He usually used regular single-coils.

He used EMGs often enough for the company to make a David Gilmore signature pickup set

Although I must agree with you that EMGs are not the way to go