The Humbuckers on my guitar have one row of screws and one row of flat metal rods. Other Humbuckers have two rows of flat metal rods, or straight strips of metal, some don't have anything... What difference do these things make to the humbucker (if any)?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Nothing at all. All humbuckers have to rows of "screws" ( i dont know what they are called myself). THe ones with one row or no rows actually have covers on them however the inside of it looks the same as a humbucker with 2 rows. The ones that you see with 2 rows are called open humbuckers and the ones with one or no rows are covered humbuckers as they have been covered so you cannot see the 2 rows for aesthetic purposes.

THere are also stacked humbuckers where the 2 rows are stacked one on top of the other to give the appearance of a single coil but with the same output as a normal humbucker.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
These are polepieces, some are adjustable in height are some are not. The screw type can be tunred so that they form an arch matching the radius of your fingerboard/bridge which helps balance out the level for each string.
Moving on.....
^Huh?

The screws are to adjust the pole pieces higher and lower which has an effect on the sound. Pickup covers also affect the sound so they're not merely aesthetic.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Huh?

The screws are to adjust the pole pieces higher and lower which has an effect on the sound. Pickup covers also affect the sound so they're not merely aesthetic.

True, but they are mainly aesthetic. Covers can cause feedback on high wattage amps and the magnetic field can be affected by the cover however they pick up less electrical interference than open coils meaning less hum. Some covers can also reduce the brightness of the guitar tone making them useful for styles where brightness is not always wanted, such as metal or stoner music.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Thanks for all the answers guys, but why then do some not have screw heads on the ends? Wouldn't it be better if all were adjustable?
And why do some have straight strips (eg. the dimebucker)?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Some pickups don't have screws for a cleaner look. I have seen a few where the screws are on the bottom of the pickup, although that's pretty inconvenient to adjust.
The straight strips are just a different kind of pole piece, generally intended to "see" the strings during big bends where you might have a slight dead spot with a regular pickup when the string moves away from the pole piece.