Hi, since I am self-taught I have a number of little problems. one is that when I pick, i do so that the pick is angled from my left shoulder to the floor on my right side (my right hand is my picking hand). Now I've heard that u can either pick this way or you can rotate your wrist so that the pick is diagonal from bottom left to top right.

Now when I palm mute, it is impossible to hold the pick the normal way i do it, and only the bottom left to right shoulder angling of my pick is possible. Am I palm muting wrong, or is there another way to palm mute? Should I change my picking angle to the other way?

Also, people have said that when sweep picking, I should use my picking hand to mute each string after I play it via palm muting, but how am i supposed to do this without changing my picking technique? Plz help, thx.
There is no one way to pick. You will have to change the way you hold it to many different shapes because somethings will require you to do it no matter what.
If I get what you're saying your pick is angled like a mirror image of how most people hold it.

I'd advice you to change it to regular though. While some players like Marty Friedman can get away with this, it's not the best angle for your wrist. Not only will you find that a regular angle will eventually improve your accuracy, it will also be easier on your hand, wrist and arm.

On top of that, as you've found out yourself, palm muting is a lot harder when you have your pick at a weird angle.

Changing the way you hold and angle your pick isn't the easiest thing, but it can be done without too much trouble. If you really don't want to change the way you pick, check out some videos by the afore mentioned Marty Friedman; they might give you some ideas on palm muting and such.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 17, 2008,
Unless you adapt to an entirely new way of picking, you're going to have to learn to switch hand positions. Don't worry about it. I have to completely change my right hand shape to do 16ths.
ok so if i change my picking to the conventional way, I have one more question.

When you angle the pick 45 degrees, does the picking motion go from the bottom left to right shoulder (as if the pick is slicing through the strings) or from bottom right to the left shoulder (the direction the pick will move when rotating your wrist in the direction of the volume knobs)? Which way is conventional?
Last edited by Fusilli_Jerry89 at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by Fusilli_Jerry89
ok so if i change my picking to the conventional way, I have one more question.

When you angle the pick 45 degrees, does the picking motion go from the bottom left to right shoulder (as if the pick is slicing through the strings) or from bottom right to the left shoulder (in the direction of the volume knobs)? Which way is conventional?

I'm not sure if I completely follow you, so watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YvsOKTPaks&feature=related

(I reckon that should answer your angle questions)
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
k I think it is in the direction of your wrist when it's turning, which is good news. But it was hard to see from that video since is was pretty fast lol. It seems that would be right tho since it causes you to rotate your wrist which is right. The other way would require no wrist motion, just the fingers or arm so that can't be right.

So thank you! If i'm right lol