Well we all know what a 5 way rotary switch is (I hope). Anyway, run the wire from the pot to the said switch, then from the switch you could pick which cap you want to use. (My idea would be like a .001, a .022 Vitamin Q, a .022 Orange Drop, a .036 (Or so), then a .047. I think it would give you alot more tone, and you could do this for both bridge and neck (SO wa-la you got a 6 controls) I got this idea for a guitar, I just wonder if this idea is possible and if it is I am getting closer to my dreams of a super guitar. MwwwwHaaaaa. Yeah I just want to know, cause I got an idea for a guitar, and once this question is awnser, I plan on figuring all things out, and then I will post it. Thank guys.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Yeah, if I unserstand you correctly, thatcould easily be done. I think thats what some guitars come stock with. (Varitone?)
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Yea thats pretty much the varitone. Probably dont need 1 for each pickup. They have rotary switches with more poles on em where one switch could do both pickups.
^ true, but by having one for each pickup, you could keep them on separate settings and flip quickly between pups with the toggle switch. One per pup seems more useful to me.
Yeah thats what I ant so that each pick up could sound diffrent, and if it can be done, then I am one step closer to world domination.... or building a kick ass guitar. I am going to repot on of my pick ups this afternoon, so as I unsolder my pickup I may look into doing this to my SG. I am working on a type up description, and making a wiring diagram, so you guys can see what I want to do. But thank you folks for this help, it means alot to me. Peace out
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Well we all know what a 5 way rotary switch is (I hope).
dur
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Anyway, run the wire from the pot to the said switch, then from the switch you could pick which cap you want to use. (My idea would be like a .001, a .022 Vitamin Q, a .022 Orange Drop, a .036 (Or so), then a .047.
waste of a switch position. you really won't hear a difference between the Vitamin Q and the Orange drop.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I think it would give you alot more tone, and you could do this for both bridge and neck (SO wa-la you got a 6 controls)
series/parallel/single gives you a wider variety of tones, but this does something. not a ton, but something.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I just wonder if this idea is possible and if it is I am getting closer to my dreams of a super guitar. MwwwwHaaaaa.
possible? yes. super guitar? set your standards a bit higher.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Yeah I just want to know, cause I got an idea for a guitar, and once this question is awnser, I plan on figuring all things out, and then I will post it. Thank guys.
figure and post away, dude.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Yeah thats what I ant so that each pick up could sound diffrent, and if it can be done, then I am one step closer to world domination.... or building a kick ass guitar.
it can be done. good luck on your world domination thing.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I am going to repot on of my pick ups this afternoon, so as I unsolder my pickup I may look into doing this to my SG.
don't burn the house down, k?
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I am working on a type up description, and making a wiring diagram, so you guys can see what I want to do.
we're all quite interested in seeing if your drawing is as "interesting" as your typing.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
But thank you folks for this help, it means alot to me. Peace out
yeah. peace out, rock on, all that cool shiz.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thank you, and my drawing... well I can read it, and it makes sense to me. I also do multiple diagrams (Like referrer to diagram b for this, c for that, pussy for dick, etc) I also wanted to ask (Cause a friend of mine stated to me about eh vitman q and orange drop) what would straight wire do in replace of a resistor? I mean would it be like a solo switch? you know 100% pure tone? Cause that would be a neat little option, cause I don't want to waste space. And I bake and never burnt a house down, why would I burn the house down melting wax (Yes I know wax is flammable) Plus for my said 'Super Guitar' it's not just cap switching, I got a whole mess of ideas I am toying with. It will be a great idea. Yes I know my typing is 'Interesting' but please, make fun of it more XD Thanks a million SOYK, you helped me realize a few things. I hope to have things figured out soon.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Yeah, a lot of PRS guitars come with a stock varitone. And no, it's not that big of a tonal variety.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Well I think it would give it the edge. But thats me, I like a little variation, to me it can make a diffrence.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Thank you, and my drawing... well I can read it, and it makes sense to me. I also do multiple diagrams (Like referrer to diagram b for this, c for that, pussy for dick, etc)
be careful with the kama sutra drawings.
very informative, but not appropriate for a family site.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I also wanted to ask (Cause a friend of mine stated to me about eh vitman q and orange drop) what would straight wire do in replace of a resistor? I mean would it be like a solo switch? you know 100% pure tone? Cause that would be a neat little option, cause I don't want to waste space.
bypassing the controls and connecting a pickup straight to the output jack
is called a "blower switch".
very strong peak in the high treble region.
piercing would be a good adjective to describe how this sounds.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
And I bake and never burnt a house down, why would I burn the house down melting wax (Yes I know wax is flammable)
read some tutorials on potting pickups. p
eople have tried this without a double-boiler and have literally had a house fire as a result.
even with a double-boiler this is an operation that demands planning and care.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Plus for my said 'Super Guitar' it's not just cap switching, I got a whole mess of ideas I am toying with. It will be a great idea.
sometimes a whole mess of ideas can just be a mess.
if you spend some time you can figure out which ideas are the most effective.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Yes I know my typing is 'Interesting' but please, make fun of it more XD
i'll wait for the drawing, thanks.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Thanks a million SOYK, you helped me realize a few things.
you're welcome. call me SYK. it's pronounced "sick" like my sense of humour.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I hope to have things figured out soon.
good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SYK, may I say your my new roll model.... No really other than Jimmy Page, your my role model. Umm yeah, well my mom does wax stuff, so i was going to have her help me. Umm yeah thats what I have been doing is figuring out what ideas work, what dont. So it's being you know, a slow process. Yeah sorry about the whole body parts thing. Ummm, yeah, I just want to get things straight and the time to draw up the diagram. So I'll get is ASAP, and thanks for wait SYK to make fun of me XD
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/varitone.html

everything you gotta know.

i demand many thanks.

*walks off in a chorus of a wowed audience*

me..me....me....me....me..

no, but is that what you're looking for?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Yeah man, thats what I want, Just going to do it a little diffrent, so there is one for each humbucker. Thanks a million, that helps me speed things up *Bows at you feet* This work for you?

Edit: Only problem my idea was to place the switch where the original one cap woudl be, so I got from start to switch to caps to groud, or would I go from start to caps to switch to end? My idea was run the wire to the switch, then the switch would select the cap, then fromthe soldered cap ends to the ground. Thanks guys
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Last edited by LesPaulCowboy at Jul 21, 2008,