First of all, I'd like to say that I'm a complete n00b when it comes to theory, so even what I put as the title is probably the incorrect terminology.

Anyway, I made a little riff the other day, I started off making it in the minor Pentatonic scale (the only scale I know ), but ended up adding in little extra notes that sounded good, so I don't think it's in that scale anymore, but I don't have a clue what scale it is in.

The riff is this:

E -------------------------------------------------
B -------------------------------------------------
G ------------9~--9h11p9------------9--------
D ---9h11--------------------11---11----------
A -------------------------------------------------

B -----------------------------12-----------------
G ------------9~--11/13----------13/11---9--
D ---9h11----------------------------------------

I'm quite happy with the riff, so even if it isn't a scale I'm still going to use it (because at the end of the day, it's how good something sounds), but I'm not sure what chords I should be using for it. So I was wondering if you could help me out?

Also, if you do help me out, I'd appreciate it if you helped me learn, so I don't have to ask such a stupid question again.

Thanks,
Lewis.
that's the phrygian pentatonic scale. which is a minor scale. the actual key of the song (i think) is in A major/ F# minor
Some type of pentatonic?

EDIT: The guy above me has it right.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
btw. i just finished writing a lesson on UG about the pentatonics, but it is pending but look for it within the next few days.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

And I'll be sure to look out for that lesson.
Quote by grimguitarist91
that's the phrygian pentatonic scale. which is a minor scale. the actual key of the song (i think) is in A major/ F# minor

What suggests Phrygian pentatonic to you as opposed to simply C# minor pentatonic?
Quote by Calabur
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm a complete n00b when it comes to theory, so even what I put as the title is probably the incorrect terminology.

Anyway, I made a little riff the other day, I started off making it in the minor Pentatonic scale (the only scale I know ), but ended up adding in little extra notes that sounded good, so I don't think it's in that scale anymore, but I don't have a clue what scale it is in.

The riff is this:

B -------------------------------------------------
G ------------9~--9h11p9------------9--------
D ---9h11--------------------11---11----------

B -----------------------------12-----------------
G ------------9~--11/13----------13/11---9--
D ---9h11----------------------------------------

I'm quite happy with the riff, so even if it isn't a scale I'm still going to use it (because at the end of the day, it's how good something sounds), but I'm not sure what chords I should be using for it. So I was wondering if you could help me out?

Also, if you do help me out, I'd appreciate it if you helped me learn, so I don't have to ask such a stupid question again.

Thanks,
Lewis.

Thats the E major pentatonic scale. It could also be considered C#m pentatonic if played over a C#m progression, but on it's own it sounds resolved on E. So try playing it over an E major progression to get E maj pentatonic, and over a C#m progression for a C#m pent sound & see which works best for your song
because the shape between the minor pentatonic is different from what he has, while the phrygian pentatonic fits what he wrote perfectly.

C# phrygian pentatonic:
e ------------------------------------9-12-
B ---------------------------10-12--------
G --------------------9-10-----------------
D --------------9-10-----------------------
A -------9-12------------------------------
E-9-12-------------------------------------

C# Minor Pentatonic
e ----------------------------------9-12-
B ---------------------------9-12--------
G --------------------9-11---------------
D --------------9-11---------------------
A --------9-11---------------------------
E -9-12----------------------------------

The Phrygian fits the riff perfectly.
Quote by Stash Jam
Thats the E major pentatonic scale. It could also be considered C#m pentatonic if played over a C#m progression, but on it's own it sounds resolved on E. So try playing it over an E major progression to get E maj pentatonic, and over a C#m progression for a C#m pent sound & see which works best for your song

you got the C#m part right but the major would be in the key of A, which is exactly the same thing as the key of C#m.
you got the C#m part right but the major would be in the key of A, which is exactly the same thing as the key of C#m.

E major - E F# G# A B C# D#
C# minor - C# D# E F# G# A B
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by grimguitarist91

Lol.

You find the relative major of a minor key by going up a minor third. A minor third from C# is E (so, E major). You find the relative minor of a major key by going up a major 6th. Looking above, Ændy's post shows you the notes in both of them.

Stash's post wins. /thread
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by grimguitarist91
the key is in F#m/A major

Except there's no A in the melody.... Look at the notes

E F# G# B C#

That is the E major pentatonic scale which shares the same notes of C#m pentatonic. Pick up your guitar and play it and notice how it sounds resolved on the E note at the end
metal4all nailed it. grimguitarist91's theory knowledge is fail.

the notes used are:

e|-------------------------
B|--------------------12--
G|---------9-11-13------
D|--9-11-----------------
A|-------------------------
E|-------------------------

AKA the C# Minor pentatonic scale, AKA the E Major pentatonic scale.

How do you get A major out of this? I'll admit, all the notes played (B,C#,E,F#,G#) are found in the A major/F# minor scale, but this is clearly a pentatonic scale, which means there has to be a tonic (scale degree 1, the root note, whatever you want to call it) in there somewhere. Without an A, it's ridiculous to assume that this is in A, or a relative mode.

edit:props to stash, also.
When I play it I get E as the tonal centre.
Go with the key of E major.

cool little lick though.

EDIT: As for Chords here's what I hear as a basic underlying harmony when I play what you've tabbed.

| E |F E|
| E |B E|
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 17, 2008,
just because there isn't an A doesn't mean it is not in A. both keys could work relative to that lick, it all depends on what sound you're looking for. he said he started in pentatonic minor but the lick ended up changing, so i posted the only other scale that would work.
i looked at it again, and you were right. when he plays the note in the 13th fret it only fits for the minor pentatonic. my apologies, i got confused
^And the riff would fit perfectly in the E or C#m pentatonic scales, so that's why I was confused when you brought up the Phrygian pentatonic.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

If I ever play this song live, I'll read out all your names.
Haha.

Again, I wanted to say thanks.

Since making this thread my theory knowledge has really got stronger, and hopefully it will continue to improve. I now understand barre chords, and how to name them, I know all the notes on the fretboard, I understand a lot better than before how to get chords based on a riff, and hopefully I will be learning a lot more scales soon.

Thanks again guys.