Okay, so I know this is probably in the searchbar but i was too lazy to look, so sorry..

ANYWAYS, here's the story. I'm a guitar player (obviously) and a really good alto sax player, and i just got a new sax but all the music i have for it is all band arrangements, sound like crap with the sax on it's own. What i need to know is how to transpose the guitar sheet music to sax sheet music, which is transposing guitar (key of C) to alto sax (key of Eb). I know I should know this stuff but i just started high school and we don't learn transposing until later on in the years attending. So I'm asking you guys/girls to tell me, how many tones/semi-tones up or down do i have to transpose it to in order to play the guitar sheet music on my alto sax?

thanks in advance, I hope someone can help me here...
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
3 semis up
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
It's normaly much easier if you figure out the chord numbers (chord 1, 4, 5 ect) in your original key, and then just apply it to your new key. That's how I approach it.
3 Semitones up or a minor 3rd interval up. Put everything note up 1 ledger line/1 space and change the key signature accordingly.

Just so you know, for any reason, when you transpose chords: You change the root of the chord like you would change any note in the piece and you keep whatever name/tonality there is to the chord. A Cmajor 7 chord (in C) transposed to Eb would be Ebmajor 7.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 17, 2008,
WAIT a minute, if you want to take something written for a concert pitch instrument and play it on an Eb instrument, you would transpose it DOWN a minor third. Since the Eb instrument is pitched a minor third higher, you write the music down to compensate. A concert C is an A played on an Eb instrument, etc.
3 semitones up
or (for a lower sound)
10 semitones down

hehe.. think thats right

I transpose guitar music down for clarinet all the time, but that just a tone down.. so its a lot easier heh

i know how you feel about the band music... although i started guitar before clarinet
Damn, I only read the title and posted. I thought this was a song transposition.

Quote by grampastumpy
WAIT a minute, if you want to take something written for a concert pitch instrument and play it on an Eb instrument, you would transpose it DOWN a minor third. Since the Eb instrument is pitched a minor third higher, you write the music down to compensate. A concert C is an A played on an Eb instrument, etc.

^Here's your answer, TS.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥