Page 1 of 2
Anybody else here play the sax?
I mean, guitar is awesome and all, but don't you think we need other instrument forums?

Anyways, if any of you play the sax, any sax, talk about it here.

I play Alto, and I'm far better at it than I am at guitar.

Any takers?
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
I play Alto and Tenor, I've been playing for almost 10 years opposed to 9 months of Bass, so I am a much better saxophonist than bassist. I guess I can brag about this, I'm in the Univeristy of Alabama Million Dollar Marching Band.
I'm definitely going to learn the sax when (if) I get a job and some MONEYS.

What's a good price for a decent starter sax, tenor let's say.....or is better to start on an alto sax?
i used to play tenor sax
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by Novacane...
I'm definitely going to learn the sax when (if) I get a job and some MONEYS.

What's a good price for a decent starter sax, tenor let's say.....or is better to start on an alto sax?

A yahama YAS23 is the most popluar starting saxophone
well, i'm glad SOME people are taking this thread seriously. And that's pretty sweet about the marching band. We don't have many marching bands up here in Canada, that I'm aware of, but i know how serious you guys take it in the USA. Personally, i'm more oriented in jazz sax, and wanna pursue that as a career choice..
Quote by Smokey Amp

tenor and alto aren't too different, it's just, if you plan on playing in a band, tenor's usually get stuck with rhythm parts, and alto's are usually lead.
Quote by Smokey Amp

Then get your ass of Ultimate-Guitar and go to Ultimate-Saxaphone
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

well what kind of saxes does everybody have? I have a Yahama custom Z alto and a Selmer Super Action 80 tenor
bari sax FTW! i just switched last year to bari and ive only been playing for around 2 months, but IMO its a lot more fun than alto. hitting those low notes are kickass.
I played it for about 4 years. It was really fun playing jazz, but the school band always played classical songs, where I would be forced to play as quietly as possible.
I play bari

its the best frikkin sax ever
Quote by Lil Macker
Please tell me he's not from The Pit. That place changes people...

*shudders*
ive been playing for about 8 years.

YAS-82Z FTW

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Tenor > Alto

I own a Cannonball Stone Series Tenor.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Then get your ass of Ultimate-Guitar and go to Ultimate-Saxaphone

dude he can be here no matter what instrument he plays. there are alot of people who play other instruments other than guitar on this website. And just cause this is "ultimate-guitar" doesnt mean just guitar players can only be on here
Quote by Lil Macker
Please tell me he's not from The Pit. That place changes people...

*shudders*
Flutes kick brass!

...well even though saxophone isn't exactly brass. Whatever.

To know another is to know a universe of others...
Sometimes a soul must wander to truly know it is home.

Andrew McMahon
Quote by jmilli2
I played alto back in the day. Haven't touched one in about 10 years now though. I was good but I never really enjoyed it as much as guitar.

The only thing you gotta watch out for is the fact that a lot of starter models / student models are complete pieces of shit, but often cost just as much as a low end or used professional model; and the student models don't retain their value, they just diminish. I'm selling my student model pretty cheap if your interested, just on the DL y'know.

In any case, I loves me some saxophone. I'm really upset because I haven't gotten to go my lessons in a few weeks due to my summer schedule, but I'm hoping to get back on track soon, and hopefully get into the jazz band at community college.
DOWN&OUT
I play alto... can anyone here hit altissimo notes? (notes above what you can hit with just the regular fingerings)
I'd love to get a tenor... Although my sax found pretty much dried up when I bought my 82Z.

Anyway I play alto, bari, and borrowed tenor. I'm still to get my hands on a soprano.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I do. I played saxophone for longer than I played guitar, and I still do. Everyday.

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
ive been playing for about 8 years.

YAS-82Z FTW

I have the same.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I wish I did.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
ya

group in profile.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I used to for 3 years back in middle school, but then I quit. I hate it how the reed gets all nasty after a week or 2. and the mouthpiece was pretty expensive, $70.
I think I got jipped.
I have been playing for like 5 years now.I have a Custom Z YTS-82.I am waayyyyy better on the sax then on guitar but I am getting there.Also I mostly play tenor( I feel it is the better of most main saxes)but I pick up an alto from time to time.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I'd love to get a tenor... Although my sax found pretty much dried up when I bought my 82Z.

Anyway I play alto, bari, and borrowed tenor. I'm still to get my hands on a soprano.

I loved soprano. I got to play it in high school, as the band program had one and I got to rent it. So I got to play both alto and soprano. I played bari in middle school though. Over all, I've enjoyed alto the most, though I still need to play tenor...
DOWN&OUT
To the person who asked who can play altissimo notes on tenor, I can. If you have ever heard the sax solo on the dogs of war I can go abit higher than the last note the sax player hits on his solo
I play Alto and ****ing suck......I find it boring to play piece after piece, I would like to learn what's behind the music while we have the whole band (It's only like 45 people lol) there to demonstrate harmony, various chords and things like that. I would get my assistant director (Main director is a lazy asshole) to teach me stuff on guitar but he knows little to nothing about guitar so he couldn't help me with my sloppy technique.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
my girlfriend plays alto....
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by RollTide888
I play Alto and Tenor, I've been playing for almost 10 years opposed to 9 months of Bass, so I am a much better saxophonist than bassist. I guess I can brag about this, I'm in the Univeristy of Alabama Million Dollar Marching Band.

Dude, nice! I'm trying out for the University of Alabama School of Music, and I play tenor. We might know each other if your there the fall of 09.

My proficiency is the Clarinet though, which is almost like the sax. I've been playing the tenor for only 4 months, so im still trying to get my low notes to come out without "popping".
Quote by abstract pie
Dude, nice! I'm trying out for the University of Alabama School of Music, and I play tenor. We might know each other if your there the fall of 09.

My proficiency is the Clarinet though, which is almost like the sax. I've been playing the tenor for only 4 months, so im still trying to get my low notes to come out without "popping".

Clarinet was a bitch for me to learn because of the fingerings.Open your jaw but keep your embrocure(sp) firm for the lower notes.when I switched to tenor 2 years ago I also had that problem but after a bit I figured out how to control the notes.
Quote by kiss zombies
Flutes kick brass!

...well even though saxophone isn't exactly brass. Whatever.

Except when I used to play Trumpet in the band (first chair), I alone could overpower the whole flute section. Just a few of us could easily overpower the whole woodwind and flutes.
Quote by SOMETHINGSOAD
Clarinet was a bitch for me to learn because of the fingerings.Open your jaw but keep your embrocure(sp) firm for the lower notes.when I switched to tenor 2 years ago I also had that problem but after a bit I figured out how to control the notes.

Yeh, and I feel myself getting better at doing that every time I play. With enough practice I know that will go away.
Page 1 of 2