looking to upgrade my Epi Les Paul, and even though im gonna change the pups eventually, what im asking here is about covers for them. do the covers change the tone at all, or is it just a looks-preference thing? Slash seems to prefer uncovered pups on his Gib's, and he kicks ass, but tons of other great players have covered pups...
does this vary by what pups you get, (some only coming covered or not, or some working better open?), or is it simply an aesthetics choice with no bearing on performance?

thanks, folks!
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
If you had two identical humbuckers and covered one of them, the uncovered one would be a little hotter.

It's really just more of an aesthetic choice, however.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Its all about the magnets and the signal strength basically. Without the cover they get alittle hotter because there is less to block the signal but no ones gunna notice a difference in sound really and if they are listening so closely to tell the difference they really arent paying enough attention to the music so who cares really.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
ok, thanks, guys. i kinda like mine uncovered, but covered they seem to look "cooler", "more expensive", or "more professional/real/rock_n_roll" to most people...
dont care about that stuff, just never noticed a diff in sound if there even was one...

think i'll leave the covers off...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
I personally prefer uncovered.. covered pickups are just a little bit less hot.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I personally prefer uncovered.. covered pickups are just a little bit less hot.

never noticed the diff from listening, and this is my 1st LP, so never played covered buckers, but that seems to be the general consensus so far...i like hot, thats why i wanna get better pups to begin with...
just wasnt sure if the covers made a difference or not, since the pups get the majority of their signal thru the wood, right? (tryin real hard to sound like i know what im talkin about, lol)
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I would disagree here...

Uncovered are going to be brighter
Covered are going to be warmer
Quote by aberrant
I would disagree here...

Uncovered are going to be brighter
Covered are going to be warmer

that makes sense, so now im confused?
brighter and hotter? or just brighter?
or just hotter?
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

Last edited by primeguy31 at Jul 18, 2008,
Not hotter....

Hotter describes the output of the pick which isn't going to change just by taking the cover off of it. Output has to do with closeness to the strings and the number of winds there are around the magnets.
ok, thats a bit technical for my limited knowledge, but i follow...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

i always thought cover's protected whatever what was inside because they aren't meant to be exposed.
Quote by ironman1478
i always thought cover's protected whatever what was inside because they aren't meant to be exposed.

protection, maybe, but electronics are sensitive, so i was curious about how the signal translated...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

If you buy the guitar with pups covered, can you take the covers off just by unscrewing the 6 screwes on the cover ? i tryed to unscrewe one, but it was so long that it seemed to my that it was holding down the whole pickup ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
If you buy the guitar with pups covered, can you take the covers off just by unscrewing the 6 screwes on the cover ? i tryed to unscrewe one, but it was so long that it seemed to my that it was holding down the whole pickup ?

most metal covered pickups are soldered closed in two spots on the back. the pole pieces don't hold them on
Quote by GoDrex
most metal covered pickups are soldered closed in two spots on the back. the pole pieces don't hold them on

So I can remove the covers ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
but how do i remove them if their soldered on ? the cover is stuck :S
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
bump.. (sry, gotta know)
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
you take out the entire pickup from the cavity. personally i prefer covered due to dust getting into the cavity and such. its true that cover is warmer while uncover is brighter. it all comes down to preferences, if you play blues and other etc similiar then covered pickup would be your choice. if you play heavy metal shredding and such then uncover is the way to go.
You'll need to get a soldering iron to melt the solder and remove it. They're fairly cheap to buy (soldering irons).

Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
but how do i remove them if their soldered on ? the cover is stuck :S