Page 1 of 2
I started doing this Steve Vai style exercise several months ago to help improve my alternate picking speed and technique. I started with eighth notes and after I got to 160 BPM I moved on to sixteenth notes to which now I am at about 120 BPM. How fast can you guys get up to while maintaining clearly executed notes and control? The key is though, to get the most out of this exercise is to play using true alternate picking , not economy picking, following a constant d u d - u d u pattern (no d u d - d u d)

|-----------------------------------------5-6-7--6-7-8----------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------5-6-7------------------6-7-8--------------------------------|
|-------------------------5-6-7----------------------------------6-7-8------------------------|
|-----------------5-6-7--------------------------------------------------6-7-8----------------|
|---------5-6-7------------------------------------------------------------------6-7-8--------|
|-5-6-7----------------------------------------------------------------------------------6-7-8|
u d u - d u d - u d u ...

Edit: No triplets, these are full 16th notes in a 3/4 meter.
Last edited by Aquaman788 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by fixationdarknes
He asked how fast I "can" play it, not how fast I "have" played it. And as far as I know, I "can" do anything I set my mind to.

HAHAHAHAHAH....If you ever get it that fast, I demand clips. Actually I HAVE played it at 64th triplets at 200 BPM!!!!!....IN GUITAR PRO. Heh heh I already gave my answer though. I actually just did that. It sounds kind of like a pick scrape, and the little green marker can't keep up with the notes.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jul 18, 2008,
16ths at 145 bpm. How fast can you play THIS -

|-----------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------8-------|
|-----------------------8-------9------10-|
|-------------8-------9------10-----11----|
|------8----9------10-----11--------------|
|--8-9---10-----11------------------------|

----8-11-10----9-------8-------------------|------------------------------------------|
--9---------11---10------9-------8---------|------------------------------------------|
--------------------11-----10------9-------|--8---------------------------------------|
------------------------------11-----10----|----9---------------------------8-9-10-11-|
----------------------------------------11-|------10--------------8-9-10-11-----------|
-------------------------------------------|---------11-8-9-10-11---------------------|

That's a bit more interesting.
does it really matter how fast i can play it?

freepower, that spider run is incredible. after practicing with it making sure that i only move one finger at a time and mute all of the other strings it has opened up my fretting hand mechanics so much.
Quote by Freepower
16ths at 145 bpm. How fast can you play THIS -

|-----------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------8-------|
|-----------------------8-------9------10-|
|-------------8-------9------10-----11----|
|------8----9------10-----11--------------|
|--8-9---10-----11------------------------|

----8-11-10----9-------8-------------------|------------------------------------------|
--9---------11---10------9-------8---------|------------------------------------------|
--------------------11-----10------9-------|--8---------------------------------------|
------------------------------11-----10----|----9---------------------------8-9-10-11-|
----------------------------------------11-|------10--------------8-9-10-11-----------|
-------------------------------------------|---------11-8-9-10-11---------------------|

That's a bit more interesting.

Don't steal his thread.
does it really matter how fast i can play it?

No, it matters how well you play it, sensei.

freepower, that spider run is incredible. after practicing with it making sure that i only move one finger at a time and mute all of the other strings it has opened up my fretting hand mechanics so much.

Yeah, have you tried the superspiders and 2134 variation and the like? They'll help you expand on that process. It's amazing when you work finger independence and you can feel the burn from muscles you've never used before.

Don't steal his thread.

I was making a point and trying to add to the longevity of his thread. The Name That Chord Thread doesn't stop at the first chord.

That said, sorry TS.
Quote by Freepower

I was making a point and trying to add to the longevity of his thread. The Name That Chord Thread doesn't stop at the first chord.

That said, sorry TS.

Good job, Billy, thats the first step of being a big boy.
Quote by TheShred201
I'll try in a bit. Probably somewhere around 16th triplets at somewhere between 150 and 170 BPM.

+1
Ahhh, it's exercises like this that make me realise how much of a mess my inside picking is

I can hit 16ths at 140 on that run...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Could someone tell me how you would count this exercise using 16ths?

Quote by Aquaman788

|-----------------------------------------5-6-7--6-7-8----------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------5-6-7------------------6-7-8--------------------------------|
|-------------------------5-6-7----------------------------------6-7-8------------------------|
|-----------------5-6-7--------------------------------------------------6-7-8----------------|
|---------5-6-7------------------------------------------------------------------6-7-8--------|
|-5-6-7----------------------------------------------------------------------------------6-7-8|

My knowledge on things like 8ths, 16ths and the like is pretty poor, but my guess as to how to count/play it would be this:

For 16ths

In a 3/4, would it be 1+a (so 5-6-7 on the E string etc), then 2+a (5-6-7 on the A) etc. So you're basically fitting 3 notes (triplets) in to one beat. Is that right? I gotta feeling what I've just described is 8th notes - but I don't know why.

Can someone help explain 8ths and 16ths for me, also specifically for this exercise. As I'm keen to know how fast I can play it too!
Quote by mdc

In a 3/4, would it be 1+a (so 5-6-7 on the E string etc), then 2+a (5-6-7 on the A) etc. So you're basically fitting 3 notes (triplets) in to one beat. Is that right? I gotta feeling what I've just described is 8th notes - but I don't know why.

Can someone help explain 8ths and 16ths for me.

8th note Tripets - 3 notes in 1 beat/quarter note
16th note triplets - 3 notes in 1 8th note/ 6 notes in 1 beat*
8ths - 2 notes in 1 beat
16ths - 4 notes in 1 beat

I hope that's right

*EDIT: Thanks TheShred201
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Last edited by tommo619 at Jul 19, 2008,
Thanx

Edit: 8th notes at 160.

Will start on 16ths next.
Last edited by mdc at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
I'll try in a bit. Probably somewhere around 16th triplets at somewhere between 150 and 170 BPM.

Thats good but your'e not supposed to play them like triplets, I probably should have mentioned that earlier. They need to be consistent 16th notes in a 3/4 meter.
he did say "16th note" "triplets". but i guess u want 4 notes per click... ok... play them at 32nd's... that way you playing at two lots of four.

i must say though... its very interesting at 16ths. each group landing differently therefore forcing the count... good one aqua
For me, it's 16th notes at 216BPM. When I started doing something like this a few months ago I started at 16th notes at 104 and worked it up from there.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
you guys are pretty fast. out of interest, what music do you write professionally or consistently? prog? melodic death? funk? possibly the wrong forum for me to ask but i did anyway
John Petrucci could play that at over 40,000 BPM using 32nd notes. He doesn't because if he did, people would die. They would just drop on the floor.

I myself have yet to reach Petrucci-like standards (that exercise I would play 16th note triplets some where between 140 and 145) Perhaps I should just stop, put down my guitar, sell it on ebay and kill myself .
Quote by fixationdarknes
K I got it to 32nds at 150 bpm. I'm getting there! *wakes up from dream* Damn it! The real mystery here is why I'm dreaming about shredding at Lane speed instead of ****ing Jessica Alba.

damn u!!!
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Aquaman788
Thats good but your'e not supposed to play them like triplets, I probably should have mentioned that earlier. They need to be consistent 16th notes in a 3/4 meter.

Well unless TheShred201 has some kind of trouble counting in 16th notes ( ) I'm guessing he's going to be hitting somewhere in the region of 230+ bpm but seeing as how most metronomes don't actually go that high 16th note triplets is a much more reasonable way to count it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheShred201
^I dunno my actual max for 16th notes--I topped out my metronome at 208

I'm just guessing based on what you said before, working out the nps and all that jazz...I may have a little bit too much time on my hands

As far as I'm concerned playing things like that in triplets makes more sense anyway but of course it's good to practice in straight 16ths as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
250bpm in 16ths, which is the max for my metronome. Though i was starting to tense up towards the end, so I doubt I could go that much higher than that.

Now the exercise freepower posted...whew-wee! that is a whole different story. Very difficult to play fast. That is a totally bad ass exercise.
fm sideways in a banana coffin... that is ripping it to the max... well done se02d2
^ Thanks for the props dude! I may try it with 16th triplets later on to see where I really max out. Meanwhile, I'm going to be practicing Freepower's brainscrambling 1 nps thing of doom....
Page 1 of 2