Ok so i play for my church and need help. most of the musicians at our church cannot play by ear so we just use chord sheets. I know rythym guitar but i want to learn how to play electric. inspired by another guitarist from another church, I asked him what he does. And all he tells me is "roots and blues scales"(we were in somewhat of a hurry). so i go home and learn some scales: major, minor and minor pentatonic and blues. Then i memorize which notes are where on the fretboard. After all this I try to play: my theory is that you hit the root notes at the right time but between notes you kindof play notes in the scale around the root, and when the next root comes you kind of go up or down the scale until you get to that next root. My question is, Is this right? when i tryto play a song it doesnt sound that great. I dont know if i need more practice or just am playing wrong. all help is appreciated thank you!
Last edited by amitbob21 at Jul 17, 2008,
well... lets see..... did you learn the positions, like say you start on a g major, and play the scale, thats position one, and you move up to an a, while still in the key of g, that would be position two, is that the way you taught your self? if you didn't heres what you should do, it really helps.

use this diagram

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

put in any key and what type of scale, we'll stick wit g major

heres g major

--------------------------------------------------------------------2---3---5-
--------------------------------------------------------3---5----------------
------------------------------------------2---4---5---------------------------
-----------------------------2---4---5----------------------------------------
---------------2---3---5------------------------------------------------------
-----3-----5----------------------------------------------------------------

right? thats position 1

ok

heres position 2, which is starting on fret 5, an a, this is position 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------5---7---8--------
---------------------------------------------------------5---7---8----------------------
--------------------------------------------4---5---7-----------------------------------
------------------------------4---5---7-------------------------------------------------
---------------------5---7-------------------------------------------------------------
---------5---7---8----------------------------------------------------------------------

and just figure out position 3 4 and 5 using this diagram

every thing builds on eachother, 2 builds on 1, 3 on 2, 4 on 3, and so on

position one can be used any where, in any key, and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5,
why do we have to learn positions? cant we just learn the scale shape for the first 12 frets instead of memorizing the positions?
Quote by amitbob21
my theory is that you hit the root notes at the right time but between notes you kindof play notes in the scale around the root, and when the next root comes you kind of go up or down the scale until you get to that next root. My question is, Is this right? when i tryto play a song it doesnt sound that great. I dont know if i need more practice or just am playing wrong. all help is appreciated thank you!

LOL. Well, it's not exactly wrong, but I'm not sure it will help you to sound good.
There's a lot more to it than that. Every note, not just the root, has a certain
function in the context of the key and against the chord being played. This is
something you can both learn and/or simply acquire an ear for. But, ultimately
you want to be able to play with some intent and say something if you want to
sound interesting. It's more than just sort of hitting random notes between roots.

And positiions are simply for ease of fingering and organization. Nothing more.