I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old Ashton starter guitar.
I will be going to the store to try some out tomorrow and was hoping for some advice so I sort of know what to look for when I get there.

So based on these criteria what would you recommend:

-Less than $1000 Australian dollars
-I'm kind of liking the Ibanez RG's and I like the look of the Ibanez art series guitars
-It's for metal/metalcore
-It will be in drop C all the time so I will be asking the guitar store to restring it and set it up when I buy it, any suggestions on string gauge?
-Colo(u)r preferred to be black or grey....

Will be running it through an EHX Metal Muff through the clean channel of a Fender 212R YES IT'S SOLID STATE GET OVER IT

Thanks
Get an RG? Maybe a Jackson Dinky or Rhoads if your feeling extreme. For drop C you might wanna use 10-52's.
Quote by insanitybreed
Get an RG? Maybe a Jackson Dinky or Rhoads if your feeling extreme. For drop C you might wanna use 10-52's.

But which RG?
Just go in and have a look in the shop. There's lots of different ones, but you'll find one in the right price bracket. You are gona love it SO much more than an Ashton!
Quote by insanitybreed
Just go in and have a look in the shop. There's lots of different ones, but you'll find one in the right price bracket. You are gona love it SO much more than an Ashton!

Yeah I hope so, I can't really understand how it can be much better though because in my 5 years of playing I've never played a more expensive guitar than my starter lol

Apart from the action what could be THAT much better? My Ashton has nice action anyway!
Well, in general the craftsmanship will be way better, the sound will be way better, and the guitar will feel alot better too. If you haven't played ANY other guitars apart from an Ashton though you should probably try a few different ones first to see what you like. Good luck my friend.