I'm a complete noob to guitar customizing, so, heres the noobish question that goes along with, well, being a noob of course

I was thinking of getting an Ibanez RG1570, but I've heard that the pickups leave a little to be desired. Apparently, the middle and neck pickup are both great for cleans and jazzy and blues stuff, but the bridge pup is a little under par as far as hard rock and metal goes, limiting the potential of the guitar to shine in every category. For those of you unfamiliar with the RG1570, is has an H-S-H configuration, equipped with passive Ibanez (I'm assuming Ibanez, as IBZ=Ibanez?) pickups. Now, my question is:

Can you replace just one pup instead of all three? Or does the wiring need to be brand specific, and can't connect two different brands of pups. Also, that one pickup you replace be an active pickup? Or can a guitar not have an Active-Passive-Passive set-up? I was hoping to put into the bridge either an EMG 81 or an EMG 81tw, though, if you can replace one pickup with a different brand, but not with a active for a passive switch, could someone suggest a good passive pickup that's an improvement over the stock pups? Is an EMG-HZ any good, or is it crap?
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
You can definitely just replace the one pickup. Its possible to use an active, but the wiring to use both actives and passives without volume dropoff is really difficult. Stick with a passive. never used EMG Hz pups, but dont go with them just because they say "EMG" on them.

What genres do you want the bridge pup for?
Leaning towards metal/hard rock for the bridge. That's why I really like that Ibanez over schecters I was looking at, because it has a great trem and great cleans with the middle and neck pups, which is something the Schecters can't due with the Active EMGs.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Last edited by Mlrc at Jul 17, 2008,
The DiMarzio Dual Sound is really nice for stuff like that. Its exactly the same as the Super Distortion, but you can wire it up with a push/pull pot for coil tap. Its got a great tone when its not tapped, and I've found that if you use the coil tap and pair it with another single coil, its a killer heavy rhythm tone.

Unless of course you want rediculous over the top br00t4lz distortion, and have a tube amp. Then I'd reccomend something totally different.
Well, I was looking into getting a tube amp, and I would like something that could handle anything from Van Halen to A7X to Archenemy, though I doubt theres anything that could cover all 3. Plus, the push/pull coil tap sounds like too complex a job for my taste to be perfectly honest, and seems slightly expensive if I got is professionally done.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Hey TS, i just recently got an Ibanez 1570 and was wondering about the pickups myself and about to ask your question :P

What they say IMO about the pickups is true, the neck is beautiful for cleans and music associated with that, but as far as distortion goes nothing special with any of the pickups.
The neck pickup on that guitar is an 8.4K paf style pickup but then they ruin it with a ceramic magnet. They ceramic magnet gives the pickup higher output then alnico but the problem is that the output isn't where you want it to be. The pickup really lacking midrange. What the pickup needs is an alnico 5 magnet to boost midrange, make the pickup sound more full, give better cleans, and make it seem louder even though it's actually got less power.

The bridge pickup is a 16K alnico pickup. That is pretty beefy for alnico pickup that should be good for metal. The problem is that this pickup doesn't sound good in basswood. The resonate frequency sits right in a spot that sounds very nasal and muddy. If you took the pickup out and put it in a mohagany guitar it would probably sound great. Anyway, what this pickup needs to sound good in a basswood guitar is a ceramic magnet. A ceramic magnet will raise the resonate frequency and open the tone enough that it won't sound muddy or nasal anymore. It'll have more power, tighter low end, and more cutting highs.

So to fix your pickups all you have to do with swap the magnets. It'll give you a great sounding bridge with higher output and a great sounding neck that seems like it's got higher output. It's a win win situation and you don't have to spend a penny.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The neck pickup on that guitar is an 8.4K paf style pickup but then they ruin it with a ceramic magnet. They ceramic magnet gives the pickup higher output then alnico but the problem is that the output isn't where you want it to be. The pickup really lacking midrange. What the pickup needs is an alnico 5 magnet to boost midrange, make the pickup sound more full, give better cleans, and make it seem louder even though it's actually got less power.

The bridge pickup is a 16K alnico pickup. That is pretty beefy for alnico pickup that should be good for metal. The problem is that this pickup doesn't sound good in basswood. The resonate frequency sits right in a spot that sounds very nasal and muddy. If you took the pickup out and put it in a mohagany guitar it would probably sound great. Anyway, what this pickup needs to sound good in a basswood guitar is a ceramic magnet. A ceramic magnet will raise the resonate frequency and open the tone enough that it won't sound muddy or nasal anymore. It'll have more power, tighter low end, and more cutting highs.

So to fix your pickups all you have to do with swap the magnets. It'll give you a great sounding bridge with higher output and a great sounding neck that seems like it's got higher output. It's a win win situation and you don't have to spend a penny.

Where'd you get the specs for the pickups?

Also how do you go about changing these magnets?
^I took measurments myself. I've got an RG1570 that I use as a test bed for my pickups.

Changing the magnets is pretty simple. There are 4 brass screws on the bottom of the pickup. Loosen them but don't take them all the way out. Now lift the tape that is wrapped around the pickup just enough to make it so you can see the magnet in there. Get a small flat screwdriver and push the magnet out. If it seems stuck that is going to be because the wax is holding it in place. Get a blowdryer and use it to heat the bottom of the pickup. You don't want to get it hot, just warm it a bit. When it's warm to the touch try pushing the magnet out. When you take the magnet out you need to note what side of the magnet was facing the the adjustable poles. That same side needs to face the adjustible poles when you install it into the other pickup. Once you have the magnets out of both pickups you can slide them into the pickups you want them to be in and tighten down the screws again.
Oh wow, thanks. That's gotta be the first time I've ever seen anyone suggest switching the magnets. I'm going to automatically assume this voids the warranty on the guitar? So basically you switch both magnets from the neck and bridge humbuckers? That's pretty cool actually. How good a metal tone can you get from the bridge when the magnets are switched?

And to whoever said about getting the amp, don't worry, I will
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
^If there is a problem with the guitar then you can always change the pickups back to stock and no one will know. The metal tone from the bridge is very nice with the magnet swap and the classic rock tone is great too. Not many people actually try the magnet swap but as far as I know, anybody that has tried it has been happy and not bothered with new pickups.
I'm hoping switching the magnets is relatively simple, as I've never really done any customizing/modding/gear building or whatever you want to call it.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
It's fairly simple.
You take the pickup out of the guitar, loosen the four screw on the back of the pickup, on the metal plate, and you'll see a bar magnet underneath the bobbins. Carefully tap it out with a screw driver, paying attention to the wires connected to bobbins.
Make sure you notice which way the magnet oriented. When you switch the other magnet in, it will need to be oriented the same way.