Hi

I am planning to major in music degrees at university and I heard that I'll have to play something for the university entrance interview and I play the guitar ,as you guys know I'll probably play without any sound track . If it was piano it'd be no problem but it's the guitar and not the acoustic but electric (I dont know if I should bring my amp and pedals or not) Have any of you done this ?? plzzz give me some advise

Btw the university isnt very popular for the music degrees (i guess)
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
What about 'Surfing with the Alien' by Joe Satriani?

Melodic, a bit of shred, room for improvisation..
they dont care
usually they just dont care
i was told id have to play something but i didnt :/
then again im in the uk
Don't play to impress them. Play something you know well, that will show them what you can do comfortably.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by lotsofvolume
What about 'Surfing with the Alien' by Joe Satriani?

Melodic, a bit of shred, room for improvisation..

Thanks

hmmmm but this song seems like I cant play this without any other instruments
Avenged Sevenfold- Betrayed
The Human Abstract- Vela, together we await the storm

And i Dunno about needing a pedal or amp. cause im 13 and im naming really good songs for guitar.
Quote by Zeppelin256
Don't play to impress them. Play something you know well, that will show them what you can do comfortably.

Couldnt agree more

hmm but Do I really have to play a whole song or would it be okay to just play some riffs?

btw I am not keen on soloing stuff soo I think I should play something else
for the love of god by steve vai. its melodic, its shreddy, its complex, and it makes great use of scale modes. also, you can improvise on it, and it doesnt need a backup to be heard nicely
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Read the description on the school's website. Some schools require you to play a Jazz and a Classical piece and random scales and chords.
Quote by vintage x metal
idk if my vagina can handle all of this at once.

Quote by hazzmatazz
It's a good time too stop when you start ejaculating air, right?

Quote by frankv
I've been raping my left hand
Quote by Squall142
Read the description on the school's website. Some schools require you to play a Jazz and a Classical piece and random scales and chords.

There's no information about it on the schools website
id really play some rifts that are easy but sound awesome just my opion
u should be able to pull this off depeding on ure skill
IMO....play lenny by SRV.....or something similar.....coz chord/melody songs is what we´re looking for here i think....they dont require other instruments....so yeah...but i dont know...thats just what i think
btw, learn something on classical guitar, like asturias or romance anonimo. search for em on youtube. they are great pieces
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ckellingc
Do Scarified

Or Technical Difficulties, both Racer X songs. Scarified sounds empty (for lack of a better term) without the bass, though, so I'd suggest Technical Difficulties in this case.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
your best bet is to give the school a call tomorrow and find out what they want you to do. what people here suggest should become something that is only taken into consideration once you know what it is that the school wants.
bring in a mesa boogie triple rectifier, turn it on full blast, then play raining blood with an improvised 20 minute chromatic/whammy wankage solo. They'll be sure to let you into the school if there's anything left of them afterwards.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
When i tried out for a music high school(Not exactly like high school but pretty similiar you go to it at 16 years old.) i got to have a backing track and i played devil slide by Joe Satrianii was competing with 4 other peolpe for the spot). When i was finished one of the guys in the jury said: We should get you in just beacause you know who Joe Satriani is!

So now i am going to start there this fall.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

whatever you do, dont play what they want to hear. do something different than everyone else. they want to know what you have to offer there school. play whatever you want, but know it like the back of your hand. if u play it well, you'll get in.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise