I read a review in Guitarist UK (I'm pretty sure it was that, it might have been Guitarist Australia) on this 'Line 6 Spider Jam', and from what I read it was pretty good. I'm in the market for a new amp, I might see if I can get one for B'day or Chrissy (which are 2 days apart from each other). I know a lot of people here would probably say save up for a tube amp or something, but to be honest, it'll be primarily a bedroom amp, maybe a band practice amp, so it'll be unlikely that I will crank it and get the true tube sound (I barely crank the little practice amp I already have, it's never been past 3 or 4) that one would desire out of a tube amp.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these amps?
Quote by Ghold125
spider jam=spider III with a loop station

what's your budget?

I dunno yet, lets say maybe AU$700.
Quote by restless_thrash
i'd go for a vox Valvetronix. Much nicer distortion than Spider III. If you want to play over ecordings, just plug into your computer.

can you get that high gain metal sound on it? would I need a pedal or does it come built in?

edit: saw a youtube video of vox advt-xl series, ops?
honestly line 6 spider 3s can be fun to play with, I would never gig with one, or rely on one, but they are fine little amps if you just wanna practice and play around with maybe a few friends.
it would be nice for home use, but in band situation its horrible, my other guitarist uses a spider 2 combo, funny stuff at drum levels
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
^but you never go above the 30 watt.

As for the ad-xl, it was not as great compared to the ad, due to it not having good cleans. And the new distortion models are not that great.
the thing about valvetronix amps is this, they have great tone, but i dont know it just dosent respond the same as anyother amp ive played its hard to explain, its sounds good but not right. I have an AD50 and a cube and i much prefer the cube even tough it sounds less tonefull, its just that the cube sounds more natural even tough its digital.
Anyone else have this felling with the valvetronix amps?
And no you wouldnt be good with a valvetronic and an OD or DS pedal whats it you play and how does that translate into US dollars.
Quote by TheKaiser77
the thing about valvetronix amps is this, they have great tone, but i dont know it just dosent respond the same as anyother amp ive played its hard to explain, its sounds good but not right. I have an AD50 and a cube and i much prefer the cube even tough it sounds less tonefull, its just that the cube sounds more natural even tough its digital.
Anyone else have this felling with the valvetronix amps?
And no you wouldnt be good with a valvetronic and an OD or DS pedal whats it you play and how does that translate into US dollars.

I also like the look of the Roland Cube's, how are they (I saw the roland cube 60 in youtube with johnny demarco ). AU$700 is about 680 USD.
Quote by restless_thrash
i'd go for a vox Valvetronix. Much nicer distortion than Spider III. If you want to play over ecordings, just plug into your computer.

you are kiding right? the spider have more distortion then the vox valvetronix while the vox have better clean, you can get a crunch like od on the vox and thats about it.

TS. i would recommend you get a pod xt live as they are around the same price range and use your computer speaker. although its digital and out of the blue suggestion you won't regret getting it and it will help you down the road.
Quote by kckyle
you are kiding right? the spider have more distortion then the vox valvetronix while the vox have better clean, you can get a crunch like od on the vox and thats about it.

TS. i would recommend you get a pod xt live as they are around the same price range and use your computer speaker. although its digital and out of the blue suggestion you won't regret getting it and it will help you down the road.

that's not a bad idea..I might do that
Quote by nightraven
you want a tube sound out of a spider III? not gonna happen, sorry. get the valvetronix instead, it's better.

didn't actually say that I wanted a tube sound, that's why I said I thought the spider III looked OK
i know u said u werent looking for valves but the epi valve junior might suit u quite well. its low power so it will be quiet. just need on od/distortion pedal to put in front of it though.
Quote by no_thing101
i know u said u werent looking for valves but the epi valve junior might suit u quite well. its low power so it will be quiet. just need on od/distortion pedal to put in front of it though.

The VJ is not really a practice unless you keep the volume low which means less power tube distortion.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I still think this pod xt live hooking up to some PC speakers is a pretty good idea, they do work with regular speakers/headphones don't they?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The VJ is not really a practice unless you keep the volume low which means less power tube distortion.

well its pretty damn quiet for a tube amp. i guess you cant properly crank it for your regular bedroom practice. still, i think a tube amp doesnt need to be cranked to sound better than a spider.
ive been having a blast with mine...its fun as hell
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15