Page 1 of 4
Well, there have been book threads in the pit, but they don't ever last very long. Competing against masturbation threads is difficult with the pit monkeys. I'm sure you all are at least a little more well read than them. So what do you guys and girls like to read?

I, myself, love House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, Moby Dick by Herman Melville, and pretty much anything by Bukowski, except some of his poetry which is a little too much sometimes. I love Jack Micheline's poetry.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
John Zerzan - Elements of Refusal.

Anarcho-Primitivist bull****, but pretty interesting. I saw him speak at the anarchist bookfair.
Dostoyevsky and Kerouac.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
I just read Catcher in the Rye. I'm trying to read all the classic books that I didn't get to read in school. I have to go to the library soon to get another book.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I just read Catcher in the Rye. I'm trying to read all the classic books that I didn't get to read in school. I have to go to the library soon to get another book.

If you didn't in school, please read Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, Crime and Punishment, or the Brothers Karamazov. Three of the best books ever.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Should this even be here? I mean, this part of the forum is for discussing music, not books, even if you are asking "t3h punkz."

Yeah, I don't even listen to punk, so I'll just be on my way now...
Quote by JustMimes
If you didn't in school, please read Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, Crime and Punishment, or the Brothers Karamazov. Three of the best books ever.

I didn't, but I'll check them out.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

I loved Catcher in the Rye.

I recently read The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. It was very p0nx.
I've also been reading some poetry by Walt Whitman.
Quote by RedDeath9
Should this even be here? I mean, this part of the forum is for discussing music, not books, even if you are asking "t3h punkz."

Yeah, I don't even listen to punk, so I'll just be on my way now...

There are threads about looking punk, playing punk, and being p0nx in general. No one else sees a problem with this, eat a gun.

OMGWTFBBQ
Right now, I'm reading No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. (Yes, it was a book first.) It's awesome, if you've never read anything by this guy pick something up. Along with this book, I'd recommend The Road and Blood Meridian.

Other favorites: Fight Club, Choke, and Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, On the Road by Jack Kerouac, Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

The next thing I'm getting is The Stranger by Albert Camus. Hopefully it'll be good. I kinda found out about this book because the concept of the Ambitions full-length is apparently based on it.
Hemingway is great. I have a book of his short stories, which I like the most. I got it after reading In Our Time in school, which was probably one of only 3 enjoyable books we read this year. I seem to have a thing for drunk authors.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Bayonetwork
There are threads about looking punk, playing punk, and being p0nx in general. No one else sees a problem with this, eat a gun.

Fine.

But all of those threads that you listed have SOMETHING to do with punk. What you read isn't usually influenced by what music you listen to. You could go into the metal forum and 75% of the responses would probably be the same.

EDIT: Maybe not 75%, but you know what I mean...

OK, now I'll leave for real
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by RedDeath9
Fine.

But all of those that you listed have SOMETHING to do with punk. What you read isn't usually influenced by what music you listen to. You could go into the metal forum and 75% of the responses would probably be the same.

OK, now I'll leave for real

I don't really see any books in here that have something to do with punk.

Now that I think of it, a good read that has something to do with punk is Dee Dee Ramone's autobiography.
Quote by hardrock1315

Now that I think of it, a good read that has something to do with punk is Dee Dee Ramone's autobiography.

Oh, I meant the threads that he mentioned.

BTW, I hope your mods aren't too harsh on off-topic posts

*leaves*
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by RedDeath9
Oh, I meant the threads that he mentioned.

BTW, I hope your mods aren't too harsh on off-topic posts

*leaves*

Why did you come into this forum in the first place? We have threads like this all the time.

Don't tell us what to do. You're not the boss of us!
Quote by hardrock1315

Kerouac is sort of a precursor to the punk lifestyle, and the book I mentioned is an anarchist text. (although I don't think any punx are primativists)
It'd be kind of redundant, Sar, we're on the internet.

And currently, i'm re-reading Moonraker by Ian Fleming. The bond books are wayyy different than the movies. No gimmicky ****. Just good books.
Don't read as much as I should. I have to read a book called One Foot in Eden for school, but I haven't started yet. It's a little ironic, because all throughout high school, I was one of the few kids who actually read the books, and now I feel like I'm the only who hasn't started reading.
Quote by sargasm
Kerouac is sort of a precursor to the punk lifestyle, and the book I mentioned is an anarchist text. (although I don't think any punx are primativists)

Anti-product are to an extent

I am reading:
Suttree (ara gave it to me and it's funny cause on the first page it's got his 'to do' list
and The ''Unabombers'' manifesto (****ing hell did he really expect people to read all this?!!)

i'll probaly kick back with some malatesta tonight
then tomorrow on the way to the city finish up Springs PE, and this ''total liberation'' anarchist zine got on tour.

On another forum people were talking about how 'evasion' by crimethinc is like new poorly wirtten kerouac.

i'm soon to start chomsky's manufacturing consent as soon as my friend gets around to sending me his copy.
Now this is a thread I can get into.

Currently reading:
-The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (I know it's a short story, STFU. I literally read half of it 2 days ago before bed :-P)
-Dante's Inferno by Dante Alighieri

Want to read:
-Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
-Lunch Poems by Frank O'Hara
-The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow

Basically I use my time in the summer to read the classics that aren't covered in school. And I usually do so using Google Book (a great way to save a trip to the library or the cost of buying the book).
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
I just finished reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess ad now I'm reading On The Road by Kerouac. All in all, pretty damn punx, if I do say so myself.
You bitches should read Last Exit to Brooklyn. I had to for English but I liked.

It's pretty punx. There's a tranny known as Georgette that made me think of Jordan

Anyway I plan on reading "Thank you Jeeves" next...

It's summer...
I'm reading Nick Mason's autobiography.

It's a good read, but it goes downhill once it starts covering Dave Gilmour.

Mason doesn't have his facts right a lot of the time.
hmmmm.... nobody has mentioned George Orwell's 1984 yet....
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
I've just realised that the only books I ever read now are non-fiction.

Perhaps if I spent more time associating with heart-warming characters I'd become one myself.
Quote by Mav-16
hmmmm.... nobody has mentioned George Orwell's 1984 yet....

Read it when I was 11. Thought it were crap. Animal Farm is decidedly better.

The best orwell books are Down and Out, Homage to Catalonia and whatever that one about the miners in wessex is called.
Quote by waterproofpie
Currently reading:
-The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (I know it's a short story, STFU. I literally read

It´s awful, isn´t it? Kafka is highly overrated and boring. His publisher can be glad that he died early.

I´m currently reading.

Terry Pratchet´s Eric
Orwell´s 1984
some Karl Marx stuff

usually I read lots of Terry Pratchett stuff, Brecht (his dramas and sometimes poems) and Tucholsky (if you can ever get a copy of him, get it!)
Last edited by lavazza at Jul 18, 2008,
The metamorphosis was just long enough to get it's point across. Which I enjoy,
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
In the last month I've finished Brave New World By Huxley and Women by Bukowski. 2 very good books.

Want to read some Camus, Salinger, Hemingway and more Bukowski over the next 6 weeks. I'm going to France for 2 weeks so I think I'll buy some books before then.

Anyone got any recommendations for those guys?

Forgot to mention I'm halfway through Hegemony Or Survival? by Noam Chomsky.
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Jul 18, 2008,
^get the nick adams stories (for hemingway)
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The best orwell books are Down and Out, Homage to Catalonia and whatever that one about the miners in wessex is called.
that's what i'm talkin' about....

i don't feel like listing off a bunch of books, but here's a short story i read a while ago. it's good.
http://wings.buffalo.edu/AandL/english/courses/eng201d/asmallgoodthing.html
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 18, 2008,
Just finished reading Theatre of Silence

Now reading Filth by Irvine Welsh again.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I read them both in the 6th grade and I do recall that 1984 is much superior to Animal Farm, imo.
No chance, animal farm is genius.

1984 is an OK novel, but it's merely a book on its own level.

Animal farm works in so many more ways.
Page 1 of 4