I've done some producing work with a few metalcore typed bands. To write really generic riffs (that can be expanded on easily) Try following a chord progression (assuming we're tunned to Drop C) similar to this C C G A, this is extremely basic, generic, and formulaic, but to a certain degree you can expand on the riff to give it more colour, as well as separation from the 10,000 riffs out there that are based on these three chords. A logistically convieniant scale to use to expand on the progression is what would normally a D Aeolian scale, but is now obviously a C Aeolian scale because we're tunned down to drop C (Ignoring the 1st string, which is tunned a step lower than the rest of the scale) Same rule applies if you're in any drop tunning (not for standard tunnings). We're also going to want to borrow notes from the scale that would normally be an A phrygian mode, but is now of course a G phrygian mode. So basically if you don't already know these scales, learn them, and incorparate certain notes and patterns from these scales into the forementioned chord progression. Again, this is extremely basic, but its a starting point for you to develope you're creative thinking. I appologise for any spelling errors in any of my posts, I was dislexic as a child and some of it still shows up in my spelling and sentance structure today. If any of the this is confusing, illegible, or doesn't make sense in anyway please let me know.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
When anyone asked a question like this, I never know what to say except listen to the genre you want to play. Lots and lots.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
When anyone asked a question like this, I never know what to say except listen to the genre you want to play. Lots and lots.

Yeah exactly, and learn lots of riffs in the style that you want to play.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet